Is there anyone releasing electronic music that isn't EDM and also isn't ambient/IDM/chill/lowfi/other shit that nobody...

Is there anyone releasing electronic music that isn't EDM and also isn't ambient/IDM/chill/lowfi/other shit that nobody cares about?

What I mean is like music that is just good music for good music's sake, catchy melodies or funky beats or smooth basslines or just any of that stuff that pretty much everyone agrees makes music good, but without being generic to some subgenre or whatever.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=bw_GhedOX70
youtube.com/watch?v=eo2aOEhlqfQ
youtube.com/watch?v=-TqfBEX6QtE
youtube.com/watch?v=9z8tpaxaipU
youtube.com/watch?v=hjCQcwqK9wE&list=PL3mH2gZZv-NaR6N6xfd0f0IJ0Z-_W0IlJ
youtube.com/watch?v=aaY3spCDdpY
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Nah sorry man we don't make that.

It's Gav!!!

Sadly I think this is true. I've been looking for ages but I don't know where I would find it, everything is either super specific to a certain genre and not really very creative or experimental to the point that it is just bullshit that nobody would ever listen to other than to be a pretentious cunt. Or background music. ambient/chill anything is just background music.

I feel like what I'm looking for must be out there, some DnB and electro house is pretty close to what I mean but they always seem to be afraid to move outside their niche.

So synth pop?

Pendulum? The Prodigy? Massive Attack? Stuff like that?

Synth pop could be what I'm looking for in theory but its always pretty weak sounding to me, I have in mind something heavier and more experimental but still musical sounding, the word pop always implies to me weak and faggy and made for mainstream tastes.

If you know of any synth pop that might match what I am looking for then I'd be keen to check it out.

Yeah pretty much stuff like that. Who is making music along those lines nowdays? Not as in sounding like them but you know, taking that same sort of attitude. Are there any labels that release that kind of stuff?

Death grips

Have you ever listened to Arkasia? His music is pretty heavy and melodic.

youtube.com/watch?v=bw_GhedOX70

>poppy electronic dance music that doesn't use the typical "EDM" tropes

Funky house/disco house? Synthwave? Maybe plain old synthpop.

youtube.com/watch?v=eo2aOEhlqfQ
youtube.com/watch?v=-TqfBEX6QtE
youtube.com/watch?v=9z8tpaxaipU

Sound of ceres
Radiohead- Kid A to Amnesiac
Tame Impala- Currents
Sweet Trip- Velocity/design/comfort

So """electronica""" is what you're looking for?

All those acts with the possible exception of Massive Attack are electronic dance music btw

Death Grips is actually a good example yeah.

This is pretty cool, I usually prefer stuff a bit more uptempo but I could listen to this.

Should add that most disco house is way less poppy than that, but also more "EDM".

Try some microtonal/xenharmonic music.

youtube.com/watch?v=hjCQcwqK9wE&list=PL3mH2gZZv-NaR6N6xfd0f0IJ0Z-_W0IlJ

Well yeah but they don't really fit into the EDM cliches, like Pendulum is generally considered to be DnB but the songwriting and structuring has as much in common with rock music.

electronica is indeed what I am looking for but that is pretty broad

This isn't exactly what I was looking for but it is pretty interesting, I'll check out some more of that.

I'm not exactly sure what you're asking but maybe artists like Noisia, Spor/Feed Me, some of Culprate's work?

Noisia in particular push their boundaries and just do their own thing, especially with their latest work.

This is a little more poppy that what I'm looking for, its not bad though I'd definitely rather that than most shitty EDM.

I think a lot of people set out to make electronic music with a specific sound in mind when the truth is, electronic music shouldn't have a sound. There was a time when it was believed to be the key to infinite possibilities of music with synthesizers and MIDI technology, free from the limits of physical instrumentation, composition without restriction. But it became tainted by various trends and styles. Now electronic music is mostly reduced to the status of dance/background music, or garnishments to other genres. It'll come around, though. Like, you shouldn't limit yourself to repetitive hypnotic looping when making electronic music. I would like to see it become dynamic and fluid like a futuristic version of classical music but not stupid.

Not saying that I dislike electronic music though, but I hope to see it move in an entirely new direction I guess.

you're talking about grime

youtube.com/watch?v=aaY3spCDdpY
Give it a few minutes. It's legendary.

This, so much this.
Also, try Crystal Castles (II), OP

This is pretty much exactly what I want, not necessarily just classical though, it could follow the lead of prog rock and even elements of heavy metal. There are so many skilled producers out there and yet somehow almost everything coming out is boring as fuck in one way or another

Sounds like you're looking for brostep but don't want to admit it

synthwave? listen to trilogy by carpenter brut

this lol

Try Audeka, maybe Machinedrum.