Any pcfags on tonight?

any pcfags on tonight?

bought a used computer for pretty cheap. trying to figure out what this turbo button does. doesnt seem to speed up anything.

anybody know?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turbo_button
twitter.com/AnonBabble

show the guts OP. let's see whats inside
If I had to guess I would say it's supposed to speed up the comp somehow

You bought that garbage?

Cuts the clock cycles down so you can use older software at their proper speeds

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turbo_button

I second this

The turbo button was the bullshit of the 80s and early 90s. It died out in the 486..586 (pentium) era.

The idea was that you bought a processor that ran at 16 MHz by default (turbo button on). You could _slow it down_, changing the clock to 12 or 8 MHz by tunring to turbo botton off.

Back then we didn't even use fans on CPUs and virtually nothing ran off of battery so noone cared about power consumption. The only reason we used turbo sometimes is to trick some games to run slower at some stages...

So it's not really a "turbo button", as the marketing bs said, it's rather a "slow down" button.

cord runs from behind the button to here, so i know it affects the cpu. light comes on when i push it, but doesnt "do" anything as far as i can tell

very Ironic name there XD I wouldn't have guessed. I remember seeing them all the time

like the mate said it's cuts the clocking speed of the CPU down so programs that can't use a faster processor are still compatible

this one has a fan though. i know its an older pc

does it play Sup Forums

looks like something between a P3 and a P4. It definetly has an ISA slot.

Sometimes we built new computers in old boxes. We left turbo button unconnected as new systems didn't support that 'feature'.

Yeah it slowns down the calculating cycles

Nowadays clock is adjusted in the code. Back then not really so you had to run older programs and they got fucked up with higher speeds

didnt have any games on it. only has the regular windows stuff like solitaire, etc

specs?

That button actually changes the speed of the processor.

It was used on very old PCs, 8088, 8086, 286, 386. From the late 80s and early 90s.

chanegd my mined; rather P1..P2, the chipset on picture supports IDE UDMA33 only.

I played gta 1 on it

yeah my old family pc had one, I remember pushing it when it was slow thinking it would speed it up lol

Questions:

> Was life better than?
> How much coke went through your nose a day
> what was life like when the Internet was a subculture?
> was music better with the pre-9/11 optimism?

I'm 23, so I remember seeing older sibs on AOL, etc but I want to know how you feel.

OP, what's your reason buying an old pc?

I replicated c64 with my dad and his friend and another guy. Then my dad sold it lol.

Not OP but you can learn

wanted to get hands on knowledge on an older system- pre Y2k. emulation is great but its not perfect.

also it was a whole 25 bucks.

>Questions:

Taking the bait...

>> Was life better than?

Not better, rather different. Internet didn't exist or I didn't have access to it. Getting to trivial info, that takes seconds today, took hours or days - find someone who knows or go to a library...

In programming, everyone had a huge collection of text files on how to program different pheriperals, CPU instructions, how to optimize for i386... And we exchanged disks full of them.

Information flow was slow. 99% of the people I knew were "casuals": didn't even use computers so it was always a pleasure to meet someone who had any experience/info to share.

>> How much coke went through your nose a day

Not much. I'm not a coke addict, rather a coding addict.

>> what was life like when the Internet was a subculture?

eastern .eu here, so timing was different. I had access to the 'net around 1997 via an organization. You called them, booked a 60 minutes slot in their room a week in advance, went there and could browse the web on silicon graphics computers. You could also save 2 floppy disks full of files.

>> was music better with the pre-9/11 optimism?

Can't see much difference.

>I'm 23, so I remember seeing older sibs on AOL, etc but I want to know how you feel.

Never used AOL.

Thank you user. It wasn't bait. I am just trying to understand how people my age felt, doing the things I am interested in - when I was 6-10 years old.

btw, about the subcultures... In europe there was a very strong subculture of electronic arts, called the demoscene. It was about stressing your limits, writing demo programs that ran on utterly underpowered computers doing stuff that was literally impossible on the given hardware.

Seen 64k color jpeg rendered with a commodore +4 (look it up), 3d animation in a 256 byte PC demo (the whole program with all data and everything is 256 bytes long)

Unfortunately this became retro with the Internet, and emphasis shifted from programming to graphics with gfx cards.

I take them apart do stuff to them run stuff

Good learning tool

this

pre internet era was about coding, modding, and mapping.

early internet era was about connecting (pcs and computers), scripting, and creating the basis for what is basically google and wikipedia now.

remember when yahoo search was the better search? also geocities

Not Op

haha, geocities!

I started with the search engine "infoseek"

Altavista was the shit in its day.

geocities used to have chatrooms (not unlike yahoo chat, which they ended up merging into)
no email required, just make up a name and go.

spent my early adulthood in "Area 51"