When was the last time we saw a truly groundbreaking album/artist/genre?

It seems to me like music now isn't as innovative or experimental as it was in previous eras. I'm not trying to be one of those "le wrong generation" people; there's plenty of 2010s music that I enjoy. I just think music has kind of reached a plateau in terms of innovation.

Just look at RYM's top albums of the 2010s.
MBDTF, Blackstar, Carrie & Lowell, A Moon Shaped Pool, etc. Most of these albums are good in their own respect, but most of the stuff seen here has already been done before. None of these albums are really groundbreaking. There's a lot of Hip-Hop, Art Rock, Indie Rock, etc. These genres reached their creative peaks in past decades.

Other urls found in this thread:

kylelandon.bandcamp.com/track/fall-leaves-you-behind
youtube.com/watch?v=dEYYI1ii0AU
youtube.com/watch?v=3p7Nib6yJ6o
youtube.com/watch?v=FJAcUzwaLXg
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

new Shooter Jennings

pretty much anything Colin Stetson has been involved with in the last couple years

>literally the fucking most picture perfect image of a regressive trite one trick pony
>groundbreaking

new Boris Merzbow

Literally not. Sorrow sounds basically nothing like his album with Sara last year and then there's her new album this year. Besides one trick pony isn't exactly the thread topic.

Underrated.

would u eat a hotdog right now if i gav u one

there is a lot of experimental stuff but a lot of it is frick

last year's Liturgy

who cares

my albums pretty groundbreaking and original

Death Grips
The Knife - Shaking the Habitual
The Avalanches - Wildflower
Frank Ocean - Blonde
TPaB
Flying Lotus

All these listed above are popular releases that either transport their respective genres to new dimensional heights, or have enough uniqueness that time hasn't allowed it's influence to sector into new genres yet.

I'd say all of oneohtrix point never's albums from the 2010's have gotten progressively more boundary pushing, with GoD being incredibly unique and distinctive.

This was the last epic album

he ain't no james ferraro though

t. /p4k/ automaton
none of those are "truly groundbreaking"

Death Grips is a great example of boundary pushing, I just don't know how influential they are/will be. It's been about 4 years since Exmilitary and not many people are hopping on this noise rap thing. It's like clipping and that's it.

i make good noise rap and nobody pays attention to me because zach hill isnt in my band

you can't be serious if you think hip hop peaked in previous decades, call me a memester or pleb but you can't deny that death grips or lil ugly mane aren't pushing the boundaries of the genre

i was pretty groundbreaking

yeah even meme ferraro is making interesting albums conceptually

Lmaoing at your life rn

Black Messiah by D'Angelo. His groove is groundbreaking in its own respect.

St vincent in general is pretty unique.

Ive still yet to hear anything that resembles it. Short of loose stuff she got inspiration from (kate bush).

I'm taking the bait. name me one album that sounds similar to Shaking the Habitual, Wildflower or Blonde? Ya can't

El-P
Lil Ugly Mane
Danny Brown

All at least a bit influenced by Grips. I'd say more so than Clipping. Clipping doesn't have the abrasiveness that Death Grips has, and they definitely don't try to. Also A lot of independent noise-rappers take influence from Death Grips.

check out Kristine Leschper of the band Mothers. not quite the same as Annie Clark, but similar, and very good nonetheless

1997 with Daft Punk's "Homework". Literally changed electronic music forever. Huge fucking impact.

pic related is the last album that literally invented a new genre on its own

you guys make me sad

how fucking dense are you, you're looking at RYM'S MORE POPULAR RELEASES, DID YOU EXPECT TO SEE MANFRED WERDER OR ROYKO AKAMA IN THE MOST POPULAR RELEASES??? it's like expecting fucking caviar in a mcdonalds, kill yourself

>Shaking the Habitual
Royksopp, Silver Swans, Scissor Sisters

>Wildflower
Kid Koala, Basement Jaxx, Thievery Corp

>Blonde
King Krule, Beach House, James Blake
Blonde takes the cake as least innovative album out of your shitty list. It's style is so commonplace since the beginning of this decade

get to fuck, el-p has been pushing that sound since the mid 90s. go listen to funcrusher plus you pleb

>King Krule, Beach House, James Blake
lol

>le dismissive memeing

tell me how Blonde is different from these

If you really think Royksopp sounds like STH then you have embarrassing ears

Also Kid Koala and Basement Jaxx never dabbled in neo-psych and plunderphonics like the Avalanches. Please don't make a fool of yourself.

>Funcrusher Plus
That is some pleb shit you neandrathal

Go listen to The Cold Vein, That's much much better than that Funcrusher bullshit

LMAO

deafheaven - sunbather
aphex - syro
parquet courts - monastic living

are examples of something pushing the genres they are in further, into weirder territory.

go listen to high water then come back and we can talk.

The last truly original album made was Drums Not Dead by Liars in 2005 or 2006.

It's a shame that everything they have done since was trash. They seemed to have so much potential at the time.

What songs on wildflower? All I heard were old songs with mediocre rapping over it.

If you really think Royksopp doesn't sound like STH then you have embarrassing ears

>Kid Koala and Basement Jaxx never dabbled in neo-psych and plunderphonics like the Avalanches
>Kid Koala never dabbled in plunderphonics

Aaaand dropped. stick to p4k-core, you embarassing pleb

100% agree with both of these.

Also Aphex's ep last year?

Blonde is R&B that dabbles in various other genres including Ambient. It's closer to somebody like Marvin Gaye or Terry Callier, but produced by Eno. Yet you compare him to James Blake and King Ginger Krule.

What a damn shame this board can be

meh that felt more like classic aphex to me.

syro seemed like him taking all the elements of dumb stupid edm and turning them into the glorious fucked up perfect mess of an album

how is syro groundbreaking in any way? it's basically a retrospective album

god you guys are fucking delusional

James Blake is an r&b singer that have dabbled with ambient and many others. he's literally worked with eno in his second album. are you retarded?

underrated post
i dont get why fags expect lowest common denominator art to be "groundbreaking" and "experimental" as if it could be and still hold mass apeal

Kaleidoscope Lovers, Colours, Live A Lifetime Love, Living Underwater, Subways etc.

When does Royksopp use acoustic drum timbres and extensive ambient interludes? or 10 minute drum loops than build on the same repetition? C'mon dude

By the Way, I didn't say KK doesn't sample, he just can't touch the Avalanches. KK has never put out anything nearly as ambitious as Wildflower

COCAINE IN YOUR BITCH BRAIN

>tfw Lil Peep is 19

What am I doing with my life

Their music is completely different. James seems to have nitched his role in alt. R&B. Blonde is somewhat of a singer-songwriter album that really goes in and out of different genres but stays based in old school R&B.

any of you elitists want to let me know if my work is groundbreaking, or at least on its way?

kylelandon.bandcamp.com/track/fall-leaves-you-behind

be rough

Blonde wasn't groundbreaking at all. It was a good album and nothing more.

James is also a singer-songwriter. Hell, he even uses many of the same literary devices Ocean does. His albums also merge different styles: dubstep, soul, folk, the voice sampling inherited from Burial...His latest album is basically a bunch of lieder set to modern beats. Blonde isn't innovative at all. It's also no coincidence that Ocean and Blake have collabed, they're operating on a similar spectrum

How do you think El-P has been influenced by Death Grips? His last album came out the year after ex-military, giving the influence a small window, and I don't see any grips influence on any of the RTJ stuff

Clipping kinda set noise rap back IMO.

The concept of "industrial+rap" (remember, we had noise rap decades before Death Grips) is something that NEEDS to be tempered with a sense of humor/fun or else it's just exasperatingly over-serious.

Look at Saul Williams, with Niggy Tardust. Sounds super-similar to DG and you can tell they took some inspiration from it even if it's uncool for them to say so. Both Saul and Ride are extremely emotive, and in the case of TIRALONT he was rapping/singing/reciting poetry over really colorful, dense, layered, and FUN production - just like Death Grips would do later. No two songs shared the same mood or subject matter.

Everyone else thinks that all you need is a deathly-serious guy rapping generic horrorcore crap over churning Silent Hill loops - i.e., simply noise+rap like the name implies. And it's so gray and dry it's a chore to listen to. Clipping sounded from day 1 like a quick attempt to hop on a lucrative gravy train - "hey guys, all we have to do is rap over KSSHHKSK noises and as long as it's a black dude doing it p4k will give us free publicity".

Blonde is one of the most unambitious & safe albums ive heard this year

>When does Royksopp use acoustic drum timbres and extensive ambient interludes?
Most of their albums?

>or 10 minute drum loops than build on the same repetition?
so this is the extent of their innovation? 10 minute drum loops?

>he just can't touch the Avalanches. KK has never put out anything nearly as ambitious as Wildflower
that's just subjective and doesn't concern the question at hand: whether they're similar. and the answer is yes, they are

Ideas are only as good as the quality, and the quality of Blonde is 10x that of Anything James released.

I'm done now, i admire you're trolling efforts though

quality is a matter of opinion. the similarity between their works is, on the other hand, something easily detectable. I'm not trolling, you've just conceded arguing by this point

>Shaking the Habitual
>Royksopp, Silver Swans, Scissor Sisters
Holy shit theres no way you even listened to STH

Charli xcx - Trophy

Even the instrumentation? It sounded like he was banging on pots and pans.

LMAO
Frankenstans are hilarious.

If everything is subjective then why are you attacking me based on what albums i think are innovative, if you're perception of innovativeness within music is different.

There is simply no definition.....of you're idiocy

Have you even listened to James' s/t? I dont understand how any reasonable listener can say this...

lyrics on queer theory, class warfare, etc
influences of ambient music, house, techno
experimentation within genre tropes...
it's all there. i bet you're the one who hasn't paid attention to Royksopp, Silver Swans or Scissor Sisters (or didn't care, since they aren't p4k-approved artists :^) )

where did I say everything is subjective?
I've stated many instances where their artistry overlap. btw, i think Blonde is a good record, just not innovative at all

[spoiler]whataboutvaporwave[/spoiler]

he was. computer controlled instruments.

are we talking about cheetah or afx or cci?

piss on my shoes faggot brother sport is the fucking tops

Kreayshawn
Lil Debbie

I'd put Live Love ASAP and Danny Brown XXX but I agree with OP. Pretty thin selection.

Personally I didn't think Blond was very innovative musically but the entire structure of the album and the rollout were quite innovative.

I feel like that album pushed some limits as far as how people actually perceive the concept of an album and what they usually expect. The skits and interviews and short songs make it feel disjointed but it's still consistent in tone.

That bitch Jasmine broke my heart

This. Good albums are still being released, but the fags on this board stick to mainstream shit like Kanye West and David Bowie, and then whine that music is mediocre.
>mfw Boris & Merzbow aren't even obscure

Gensho is weaboo trash

yeah cci it was the one last year

cheetah was just a few months ago

I'm not sure what afx is

yeah Kanye only based an entire album off their style of hip-hop

>conceptually
This is why I like artists like OPN and Ferraro because their music is artistic and they, accurately, can be called artists as well as musicians.
I feel like this is what prevents musicians from being innovative, experimental, long lasting or inspiring. People are more concentrated on making music that only SOUNDS good without exploring ideas, concepts, and meaning in the music they make, which can in turn develop a result that's beyond the original idea, but stop at a surface level of what they know to be music.

A few months back.

youtube.com/watch?v=dEYYI1ii0AU

Varg dyed his hair?

Emergency & I

Not even memeing. The guy single-handedly made electronic music fashionable for American audiences and paved the way for really, really shitty music but was nonetheless the guy whose sound everyone wanted to emulate but couldn't quite get it right. He dropped off hard after 2009, exactly when EDM become fucking enormous.

True, sadly.

this is actually pretty good/not bad
aoty for me.

I forget about them too much
I need to listen to them some more

thx
buy it for $1 pls

dont forget he also played minecraft with seananners

don't beg, it's unattractive.

he's literally begging for 50 cents though I'm not sure that even qualifies. I think $1 is just the minimum.

Danny Brown broke ground with Atrocity Exhibition.
And Tribes, however safe the sound was, solidified the sound that has been rarely appearing within the hip hop scene. Kendrick introduced the sound to a lot of newer fans, but Tribes utilised there own sound to solidify the fact that it will stay relevant within coming years.

Thanks fantano

No problem senpai ;)

lol hi joel

you forgot the new d'angelo m8

>Subways
youtube.com/watch?v=3p7Nib6yJ6o
youtube.com/watch?v=FJAcUzwaLXg

What in the literal fuck is wrong with you?

the music aint pretty why should i be

The Flaming Lips have been breaking some new ground this decade with 7 Skies H3 and The Terror. But it seems like they're degenerating a bit with Oczy Mlody but I dunno let's see.

Dude what the fuck are you on

None of these are remotely new or groundbreaking. Just stop.

The Flips are good and 7 Skies H3 was unique, but they haven't been truly groundbreaking since TSB.

Fuck, literally nothing posted ITT is groundbreaking. It's all just generic p4kcore.