/classical/

Bach was a CIA agent edition.

>General Folder #1. Renaissance up to 20th century/modern classical. Also contains a folder of live recordings/recitals by some outstanding performers.
mega.co.nz/#F!mMYGhBgY!Ee_a6DJvLJRGej-9GBqi0A
>General Folder #2. Mostly Romantic up to 20th century/modern, but also includes recordings of music by Bach, Mozart and others.
mega.co.nz/#F!lIh3GRpY!piUs-QdhZACFt2hGtX39Rw
>General Folder #3. Mostly 20th century/modern with other assorted bits and pieces.
mega.co.nz/#F!Y8pXlJ7L!RzSeyGemu6QdvYzlfKs67w
>General Folder #4. Renaissance up to early/mid-20th century. Also contains a folder of Scarlatti sonate and another live recording/recital folder.
mega.co.nz/#F!kMpkFSzL!diCUavpSn9B-pr-MfKnKdA
>General Folder #5. Renaissance up to late 19th century.
mega.co.nz/#F!ekBFiCLD!spgz8Ij5G0SRH2JjXpnjLg
>General Folder #6. Very eclectic mix.
mega.co.nz/#F!O8pj1ZiL!mAfQOneAAMlDlrgkqvzfEg
>Renaissance Folder #1. Mass settings.
mega.co.nz/#F!ygImCRjS!1C9L77tCcZGQRF6UVXa-dA
>Renaissance Folder #2. Motets and madrigals (plus Leiden choirbooks).
mega.co.nz/#F!il5yBShJ!WPT0v8GwCAFdOaTYOLDA1g
>Debussy. There is an accompanying chart, available on request.
mega.co.nz/#F!DdJWUBBK!BeGdGaiAqdLy9SBZjCHjCw
>Opera Folder. Contains recorded video productions of about 10 well-known operas, with a bias towards late Romantic.
mega.co.nz/#F!4EVlnJrB!PRjPFC0vB2UT1vrBHAlHlw

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=kV4khmUhMrQ
youtube.com/watch?v=Bs7TqUlSBMI
youtube.com/watch?v=tqXibjCZy5Y
youtube.com/watch?v=T-uDOsoMdGY
youtube.com/watch?v=HCXATs66jJA
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Our_Prayer
youtube.com/watch?v=-9QGegNunUE
telegraph.co.uk/music/classical-music/best-classical-recordings/
youtube.com/watch?v=v3j3h0Ucli4
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

what are you listening recently /classical/?
me right now

Been listening to Strauss' Metamorphosen.

I'm an autist but I want to be an INTJ.

It'll never happen. Too damn lazy.

>tfw beethoven
Also Bach ENTJ? I could actually see it, he actually was a Chad after all, despite the memes.

>INTP
>tfw I have read the Beethoven's biography recently
>tfw I literally have his same personality

Too bad I'm not a genius.

I scored a 141 on my IQ test a few years back--first one I ever took and it was impromptu.

I'm pretty sure it was just bullshit, though. A smart person wouldn't sit around on his ass all day doing nothing but listening to music and wanking occasionally.

INTP is actually the autiste personality and quite possibly one of the worst you could have.

I am INTP myself and I am doing everything to change.

intp but i relate far more to Reich and Ives

anyone got any pieces that sound like the beginning of The Firebird?

Crap, radiomelasudas-beaumarchais has gone.

It's the best personality if you're a musician and you have someone else who can manage your career.

I'm fairly smart (not as smart as Beethoven, obviously), and being this autistic makes working on music so much easier.

I can just lock myself in my 1room apartment for one month and compose/practice piano non-stop and not feel bad because it is what I wanted to do in the first place.

Playing recitals and composing for commissions is a drag, I'm only at piece when I'm at my house, alone with my piano, a sheet of paper and a pen.

I actually ended up completely quitting playing and composing 3 years ago now... Used to practice like 8 hours a day and write and listen for 4 more.

Schubert

My local opera is playing Mozart's Zauberflöte tonight.
Should I go Sup Forums? Or should I just watch one of the recorded ones in the folder?

Hey if you have the opportunity to go, then go.

There's still a lot of chance involved in becoming a universal genius, even if you are intelligent enough to be one.

Beethoven's father forced him to practice piano non stop under threats of beatings. If not for his father being a musician himself, Beethoven might have never became one.

Also if you look in history you'll notice that most great men came from well off families. That's a big prerequisite also, you can't really dedicate your life to something if you're worried about food and clothes.

Intelligence and talent isn't enough, there are a lot of serendipitous events involved in the lives of all great men.

man....

wtf

>Although popular in the business sector, the MBTI exhibits significant psychometric deficiencies, notably including poor validity (i.e. not measuring what it purports to measure) and poor reliability (giving different results for the same person on different occasions).[8][9][10

You guys are very stupid.

It's a decent benchmark. I've done it a lot of times over the years and always came up INTJ or INTP. Like it gets the jist of what an individual's personality is like.

Post fugues.

>giving different results for the same person on different occasions
This is not really a criticism, it is supposed to fluctuate and subject to change over time and with mindset.

im very new to classical music. my only experience with it is minimalism (which I really like). what websites do you folks use to discover more classical music because rym is pretty bad for it

>my only experience with it is minimalism

sad

bach, mozart, beethoven

this but exclude mozart

www.good-music-guide.com

:)

FURTHER

proof that Bach is superior to Mozart in every way

>Bach is better at writing symphonies or operas

You don't have to ''discover'' it. Classical music has been extremely meritocratic thorough the centuries.

As someone else stated earlier, listen to Bach (Well Tempered Clavier and The Art of Fugue), Beethoven (basically everything besides minor stuff such as menuets and songs) and Mozart (same thing, everything but minor works).

Yep

>tfw almost every great composer was a high functioning alcoholic
>tfw almost every composer would have become a DUDE WEED if they were born in this century

>and Mozart

Just listen to Bach.

not true at all

go rationalize your degeneracy elsewhere

youtube.com/watch?v=kV4khmUhMrQ

keep in mind that mozart is actually underrated and that /classical/ is filled with trolls

this desu, not even memeing

Prove me wrong.
Bach, Hadyn, Mozart, Beethoven and Schubert were all raging alcoholics (especially Beethoven).
Why do you think that they would have not dabbled with soft drugs (that weren't available at the time) such as weed, lsd and shrooms?

Cause alcohol use and drug use betray different pathologies and personalities.

Especially analytic minds like Bach, Haydn and Mozart would likely NOT experiment with such.

>Hadyn and Mozart would have not experimented with weed

I'm laughing at you.

youtube.com/watch?v=Bs7TqUlSBMI

>Cause alcohol use and drug use betray different pathologies and personalities.

the burden of proof is on you

>Beethoven tries crack
>start writing the fastest piano sonatas in existence
>his symphonies are now all in presto and they're even louder

yes. perhaps make share the evening with a qt who enjoys opera

Waltzes > Nocturnes

>Bach, Hadyn, Mozart, Beethoven and Schubert were all raging alcoholics (especially Beethoven).

opera isn't music

go to broadway for that overly dramatic theatrical bullshit

Is there any chorale work by any classical writer that resembles the harmonies written by pic related?
Stuff like these
youtube.com/watch?v=tqXibjCZy5Y
youtube.com/watch?v=T-uDOsoMdGY

do you guys still listen to pop?

since i got into classical i can't even stand pop music anymore

it's all so primitive compared to classical

you always get so asshurt whenever opera is brought up. contain your autism, sperg

opera doesn't belong in this thread or board

Favorite opera? I'd have to say Wozzeck. Great stuff. Doesn't mess around at all.

Is ranking the 9th over the 5th the ultimate pleb move?

Probably Parisfal or Pelleas. The latter was heavily influenced by the former so I guess it makes sense why I would like it. Very ethereal and all that.

"Our Prayer" isn't written by Brian Wilson.

>is ranking the literal greatest symphony of all time over a meme symphony the ultimate pleb move?

No. Ranking the 5th over the 9th would be pleb.

is what a pleb would say

>literal greatest symphony of all time

By this point the 9th is probably a bigger meme.

And objectively NOTHING tops the last 2 movements of the 5th

Every musicologist thinks so.

Musicologists are progressives and do not account for taste and temperance.

Try again.

Progressives in the sense that they see music history as a march towards a goal.

Is there any database with recommended recordings of all the essential stuff?

yep
rateyourmusic.com

Otello is the GOAT

>recommended recordings

WE

1st movement of the 9th >>>>>> Everything in the 5th

this

youtube.com/watch?v=HCXATs66jJA

>this is what plebeians actually believe

oratorio = true musical composition, one composer, no librettist, non-theatrical

opera = overwrought theater pieces for drama kids; it's more theatrical than it is musical, typically involves collaboration

glad we cleared that up

It is.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Our_Prayer

Post Gesualdo

youtube.com/watch?v=-9QGegNunUE

My bad, i got Gee (which has a section based on the Crows song) mixed up with Our Prayer

Is Berlioz firetruck-core or not?

shut up

I just wanna see what you guys think about him, is that too much to ask?

>bog Cia agent
>bog didn't live in the United states

Nah, the waltzes are fun and catchy but he just wrote those as practice pieces for teaching his students.
It seems like the entire genre of waltzes gets written off by people. I read about R. Strauss getting trashed for writing one, and nobody really cares about the other Strausses outside New Year's in Vienna.

who r u malcolm gladwell

This piece might be a musical sophistication litmus test. It was kind of weird the first time I heard it. Now it sounds positively romantic. Same with Verklarte Nachte and Grosse Fuge

INFP might be worse
Those of us who are just un-autistic enough to really like people and desperately want to connect to them, but are still too afraid to do so

>parents sign me up for classes when I was 8
>always use sheet music and play solo
>I got pretty good
>now in college
>couple friends play together
>they find out I play piano and want me to play with them
>they find out I've been playing for over 10 years
>they probably expect me to be a god
>tfw turns out I can't improvise and can't even a simple blues in a band setting

Improvising and interplay is a skill unto itself. I came into this from the other end, with a jazz background so I've struggled with the opposite.

Madame Butterfly

Which one of you was the dummy that tried to make a new thread?

You

telegraph.co.uk/music/classical-music/best-classical-recordings/
This is actually a great resource

just listen to gershwin and get the fuck

Unfortunately no one I know is into opera.
But the performance was still pretty amazing.

>Unfortunately no one I know is into opera.
Yeah, they probably want music, not Broadway.

bump

Bump

youtube.com/watch?v=v3j3h0Ucli4

piano for ~15yrs here - grew up taking lessons only playing gospel tunes and hymns like a good southern boy then later took lessons from an old jazz pianist.

Can't play classical music worth shit and don't know any jazz tunes but I can improvise really well i think and read sheet music perfectly fine.

Wish I got trained for classical music, though. I'm 22, think it's too late in the game for me to get good at classical music?