Anyone here practices martial arts?

Anyone here practices martial arts?

Whats the best martial art for self defense?

>Inb4 just get a gun

Not the fucking point, you cant take guns everywhere or use them without a high chance of going to jail.

Other urls found in this thread:

whitedragondojang.wordpress.com/2014/04/06/flashy-spinning-flying-air-kicks-and-their-ineffectiveness-for-real-fighting/
youtube.com/watch?v=xTWjJDh87SE
youtu.be/VyllQuQuHZE
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

kung jew (krav maga) is generally regarded as the best civilian option for self defense.

If you cant find (or dont want to give money to the j00s) a krav maga place near you then you could look for muay thai

Fuck this faggot ninjutsu is your way to go op

For self defense

>Krav maga
>Silat
>authentic Systema
>Muay thai
>eskrima
>Japanese jiu jitsu
>Kung fu

For 1 on 1 combat

>MMA
>BJJ
>Combat sambo
>Wrestling

Absolutely worthless

>Taekwondo
>judo
>aikido
>any shit that relies on mysticism

Ninjutsu isn't a martial art, dumbass.

I thought bjj was good for self defense?

Ninjutsu is a material art, faggot.

wrestling and boxing and kickboxing.
don't need any of the others, everything else can be overcome by good striking and good wrestling.

Not the user you replied to, but BJJ puts you on the ground to get stomped on by niggers, which is most likely why he put it in the 1 on 1 category.

Taekwondo is a purely defensive art. You learn to get the optimal distance to hit without breaking your safety. Not complete on its own but that's a good start. Penchak is very complete too but too violent like the Krav Maga.

Taekwondo / Muay Thai + a grapple art is enough to defend yourself.

Wrestling good, judo bad? Taekwondo shit for self defense, kung fu good? Two questions : do you ever leave your basement, and which anime do you base your opinions on?

It's not. Any style that focuses on ground fighting is absolutely worthless for self defense and should be avoided. These styles are great for controlled, 1 on 1 fighting scenarios, but they should be avoided for more variable, street settings.

Ninjutsu is a group of several skills. One of them being melee combat (Taijutsu), ninjutsu itself is NOT a martial.

Its also almost impossible to find a real ninjutsu school. Most of them are fake (like the ones that lead you to believe that ninjutsu is a fighting style)

Read what I said above, wrestling is good for 1 on 1 fighting, it should not be used for self defense.

Kickboxing is okay but not ideal, you're much better off with muay thai.

Boxing is absolutely worthless for any sort of combat outside of boxing itself.

Yeah. I'm a green belt in shit posting.

If you want something effective (that does not require decades to get good), take anything where you'll get actual fighting experience at training. You learn faster when the punches are real. 6 months will give you real results.

Boxing, muay thai, full contact, BJJ...

Other martial arts where you don't do real combat, or with many rules like "no kicks under the waist, no punching the face", will require probably a few years to be "real world" effective (karate, aikido, taekwondo, kung fu...).

If you're ready to spend time and effort, and want to look long term, anything is good though (as long as you train hard and regularly, and keep in good shape).

Anyone in this thread that doesn't tell you you should learn bjj has very little idea what they are talking about.

If you don't think a fight will end up on the ground then good luck getting your ass beat on the ground when all of your striking arts are useless.

There's a reason every single mma fighter learns it without exception.

Carry a knife and prison rush

Learn how to focus your anger into the punches you throw

Martial arts will do nothing. People don't fight fair in the street, there is no honor. When someone fights you in the street they're out for blood.

Tl;dr

Carry a weapon, only a complete idiot wouldn't.

Go watch a judo tournament. Watch the highest, most prestigious judo tournament if you wish. Olympic stuff, black belts, the best of the best.

They still struggle a lot to even make a half assed throw.

Because judo is a martial art that becomes almost worthless when the enemy puts resistance.

I used to practice judo when I was 13, I was really afraid of being thrown, so I'd get all stiff whenever they'd grab me. The result? Nobody could throw me properly, not even black belts, and they'd scold me telling me "you have to put your part too to help your partner!".

In judo, it kinds of work because obviously you're not allowed to hit the other person, so you 2 just nab at each other until one is too weakened and you can pull one of those half assed throws.

But in a real self defense situation, the other person will be constantly hitting you while you struggle to throw them.

And kung fu is great if you learn real kung fu, not mcdojo shit.

Taekwondo has been completely watered down and it focuses on aesthetically pleasing kicks which are completely inneffective in real life, like high kicks, or 540 kicks.

Go look up videos of taekwondo guys getting grabbed mid air because of their fancy kicks

oh shit, we got an autist here. i agreed with you and you still felt the need to correct me somehow.
*claps*
bravo, man, bra-fucking-vo. you are clearly the intelligent all-sayer here, you may have the stage.
>muaythai literally is kickboxing
such strong autism levels, lmao.

>If you don't think a fight will end up on the ground then good luck getting your ass beat on the ground when all of your striking arts are useless.
While this is true for a school or brawl type fight, anything that is one on one, if you ever end up against several people, and you take one to the ground, the other ones will curb stomp you (that is why most martial arts that derive from stuff they used to teach soldiers in older times use little to no ground combat : you don't want to be on the ground when there are hostile people around with spears or swords).

>Go look up videos of taekwondo guys getting grabbed mid air because of their fancy kicks
Thanks user, Im sure many keks will be had from this.

tai chi chuang yang style

he's actually sort of right

You forgot MCMAP for the useless list

You're an idiot. If you go with BJJ during a mugging, you're going to have your head transformed into a football, thats why experts constantly tell you to avoid ground fighting.

Will fights end up in the ground? If you dont know how to fight, they will. And the ground is a precarious position to be in a real fight. Complete self defense systems like krav maga, systema and silat will teach you how to get out of ground fighting easily and fast.

Im looking for a video of a guy getting knocked the fuck out by an old lady who kicked him in the head while he was applying that fancy bjj to his street fight opponent.

and MMA fighters are ATHLETES, mma is a SPORT full of rules.

You cant grab hands in MMA, 'nuff said, its not self defense.

Self defense systems have that mindset so they do work for those situations.

>implying teakwondo is all about high kicks

Kungfu, specifically wushu. Muay tai or kick boxxing for me immediate results. But like anons have already said, the best thing you can do is just train your body and actually spar with someone, the more you fight , the more you natural instincts will grow in reading body movements and the ability to actually take a punch or multiple punches and shrug them off.

What about bajiquan?

Boxing, there is no better option for actual real life self defense. Anyone who says different has never been in a real life situation where they have had to defend themselves

Just talking about punching (boxing) can you explain what you mean by focusing anger behind the punching and how that affects it?

>Self defense systems have that mindset

Unless you're Bruce lee or Jackie Chan, anyone's bet when a knife is pulled to just give them what they want and walk away

When someone has something that if it goes even a couple inches into your stomach could kill you, you don't fucking try to disarm them, ever.

You fucking kids have no street smarts. If anything learn to box just so you know how to swing, but if a weapon is ever pulled just give them what they want.

"But what if they attack me first!"

They won't. Unless they're a meth head, but if you're in that situation you obviously have made poor decisions. People with weapons want to scare you. But a lot of them will make clumsy mistakes end up killing someone by just doing a stabbing motion when someone comes close and the "fighter" gets slow rolled.

Martial arts is for competition and a hobby, not real life fighting.

This, also remember op, sometimes the best option is to run, the real world has no safety precautions, and real attackers will kill you by any means neccesary, its better to excape with your life then die trying be a dumbass "alpha" trying to act like an action hero.

Never said it was the same at kickboxing. Its just generally more effective.

A good article on this whitedragondojang.wordpress.com/2014/04/06/flashy-spinning-flying-air-kicks-and-their-ineffectiveness-for-real-fighting/

Boxing is absolutely worthless for real life fighting.

>Mentalized to not use your legs
>Mentalized to dodge punches by simply moving your core
>Absolutely no situational awareness training
>absolutely no response to grapples
>absolutely no response to tackles/takedowns or ground fighting.

I agree with you that the best option when a weapon is pulled is to run away. But you should totally know what to do if things go south.

I dont know about your place, but in my country, plenty of thugs will stab you just for the sake of it, even if you do give them your stuff. You should learn how to defend yourself.

I've, personally, seen good results with krav maga, but its the only thing I've ever trained. I trust in my instructor because he's a former tactical cop and military instructor.

You're retarded, sorry boi, you obviously haven't been trow by a real judo guy, I challenge to go to a real academy, and say you can't be trow by any of the guys there

>Boxing is absolutely worthless for any sort of combat outside of boxing itself.

Please stop making an utter fool out of yourself.

If youre one on one and there's no weapons you need to tap into your primal rage. We all have it, it's fight or flight. When you focus your anger into your blows, the adrenaline in your body gives you much more strength, and you resist pain more.

You gotta let it go, just completely stop using reason and intelligence and just become an animal. But only do it when you're in a fight that could get you killed, because usually people cant stop until they're pulled off of the person

Yeah, the fancy kicks kinda remind of how hema Experts ( Historical sword trainers) have proven that all the fancy sword swings and twerling we see in movies/shows/games are easily trumped by a simple thrust.
youtube.com/watch?v=xTWjJDh87SE

Explain this documentary then.

>This
The only solid self defense technique is getting into fights. Even then you have no clue how skilled a fighter the guy robbing you is or if his buddies are lurking nearby. First rule of any fight involving a knife is you are going to get cut. I'd rather get mugged and cancel my bank cards immediately after than risk getting killed over a simple mugger.

Karate and taekwondo could be somewhat effective, but only if you train full contact and in a good dojo with decent isntructors and a lot of sparring.

Aikido and kungfu are an ABSOLUTE MEME.

t. fag who trained in all four of them

If they have a gun just let it happen
If they have a knife escape if you can
If you don't know try to escape
If you can't escape aim for neck balls eyes, etc.

I love skallagrim

Which kung fu style did you trained? Because people say "kung fu" and they fail to realize that kung fu has several schools. Like karate actually.

I've seen military instructors kicking ass with kung fu, dont know which style is, but I know its kung fu.

>asking for bestest marshiul awts advice on Sup Forums
>asking for advice on Sup Forums
>asking Sup Forums

Breddy gud! :D

Maybe in a southern Asian country or south American countries i can see that, but all these people in this thread are white 15 year olds thinking they can impress girls by showing off flashy moves and they can be action heroes.

You're a different breed, but if you're telling the truth your main concern shouldn't be defending yourself, it should be getting out of that environment.
This nigga gets it.

Fucking don't bother fighting muggers man. They could be legit fucking crazy. Unless you're in a well populated place in day light where you could get to the cops quick after right hooking a thief, just fucking give him your shit.

>I used to practice judo when I was 13, I was really afraid of being thrown, so I'd get all stiff whenever they'd grab me. The result? Nobody could throw me properly, not even black belts, and they'd scold me telling me "you have to put your part too to help your partner!".
While this is true, just because someone learned judo for years don't mean they can't throw a punch. Someone who comes at you for real (with momentum) won't go "stiff". And if they do, it means they're not moving (which makes it easy to hit them).

If you think that just because you learned a martial art, all you're ever allowed to do even in a real fight is to use "tournament legal" techniques, then yes most martial arts are shit.

Even MMA. They don't prepare your for punches to the back of the neck, because they're illegal since they're very dangerous. But these are the ones you want to be watching for in a real situation.

Fuck off and try to prove me wrong.

A boxer does not knows how to kick (Legs are much more stronger than arms and have longer reach). He doesn't know what to do when he gets tackled/grabbed and he is certainly fucked if he goes to the ground.

Oh and he cant defend from attacks from the back.

Boxing is a SPORT where things work because each side is severely handicapped.

Real fights are not 2 men in front of each other just moving their arms. Its 2 or more men frantically moving and getting into kissing distance while grabbing each other's necks. Theres absolutely NOTHING a boxer can do there.

If there are many people seriously wanting to fight you, you ltierally got two options:

>fucking run as fast as you can
>KO their alpha (the one who talks the most) with a single sucker punch

If you have multiple people against you with even no more than a single one of them having ANY fighting experience whatsoever, run your fucking ass off. The only scenario where you could effectively oppose and defeat multiple people is if you're very, very experienced at a COMBAT SPORT (not meme arts) and they aren't.

>so I'd get all stiff whenever they'd grab me

Stiff people are much easier to throw.

Shows how shit your instructors were.

Nope you got that wrong about striking, adreneline it only helps with pain and speed.

To hit hard you need to push your fists, not throw them.

Imagine your fists as heavy shotputs instead of tennis balls. Use your body as you would if you were throwing a shotput in the direction you wish to send it to. And for max power upon landing, ideally about two inches short of straightening your arms for a straight punch. For hook, fist needs to travel slightly faster than your torso is turning.

Anger/ardrenaline only works for short period of time and not for probper control.

Anyway, I would agree with the others that you need to be more than one dimensional than boxing cos there is no rules, so gotta be able to use what you have such as knees, elbows and an ability to grapple and so on.

>Stiff people are much easier to throw

Being this delusional

I cant, no money, i'm stuck here. Its why I decided to learn krav maga and bought a gun. I honestly feel safe just with the KM. They haven't tried to mug me yet, but some of my friends from the academy already had knives pulled on them and they all went home without cuts or just minor scratches

Ehh actually its been shown that these people fight in controlled enviroments for so long that when shit hits the fan their brains are conditioned into believing they're on one of these controlled enviroments, and they follow the rule of their sport.

I dont know much about judo but I dont think it would be easy to throw someone who is running frantically at you and who grabs you and twists you around

Kung fu has no styles, because it's not a martial art.

Kung fu is used only by idiots who fail too understand what that phrase means. For example, cooking can be described aboslutely correctly as "kung fu", and in this regard, Gordon Ramsey's kung fu is strong.

When used in a martial arts aspect, kug u literally means any or all fighting styles originating in China.

You're a fucking retard and know not what you're talking about.

What's easier to throw, a rock or water?

Thank you for proving that you know absolutely nothing about fighting.

I'd bet a month's pay that you're fat.

I've done martial arts for about 13 years and have been in a couple (drunken) fights, but none of them were real enough to matter. I wouldn't really lean on martial arts in a fight, to be honest.

The best way to survive fights is not to have them, but knowing what to do is never a bad thing. getting into a physical altercation is your last resort to protect yourself or the ones you love. I'd rather feel like a bitch than die or be permanently injured over something stupid. My family needs me more than I need my pride at this point in my life.

I've studied TaeKwonDo, Muay Thai, Judo, and some minimal Krav Maga, Jiu Jitsu, and Muay Boran. I don't think any of them would really save my ass in a fight. I would grab whatever is near me and use it to harm whoever is attacking me. THAT is effective. If there's nothing there, then... it's kill or be killed. I guess I'll be really tested if that ever happened. I don't really know if any amount of classroom learning and sparring prepared me for a straight up dirty fight where I had to worry about my eyes, my balls, and other people jumping in.

Are we talking 'bout a heavy rock?

>people who are basically becoming deadweight are easier to throw.

In which universe?

Also trained in all of these. Since I was a kid (and I'm in my 30s). Some boxing on the side. And I've met people in aikido I wouldn't fuck with. Just avoid any teacher who goes too much in the spiritual aspect of things. If you've seen for instance aikido done by the japanese, you know the difference with a local McDojo where some dude tells you about being in harmony with the universe. Some of the original japanese instructors (all or mostly dead now) were military instructors during WW2 for the japanese army. These guys, and their direct disciples, do not fuck around.

With all that said, I'd still tell someone who wanted to get good fast to take boxing. The fundamentals are way faster to grasp than more complex martial arts (where you sometimes need years to get a technique to a point where it's "useable"), and you get into realistic situations very early on (plus you know what a real punch feels like, even if there are gloves, it's not like styles where you learn to just touch your opponent to score points). 6 months of boxing will make you kind of effective. 6 months of most japanese martial arts will have you confused.

Krav Maga above all else.

you need to be fast, use fists and legs, avoid lying on the ground and wrestling if possible, handle multiple people at once in an enclosed setting, do real damage

Krav Maga checks those boxes

Sounds like a good way to get knocked out because you were too busy swinging like a retard to see this dudes straight right counter coming straight for your lips

But he's right. Just tell me what is a boxer supposed to do when someone charges at him like a bull covering his head?

Krav maga teaches you to take those objects away from the opponent's hands though.

>Ehh actually its been shown that these people fight in controlled enviroments for so long that when shit hits the fan their brains are conditioned into believing they're on one of these controlled enviroments, and they follow the rule of their sport.
I know people who are competitors in judo (trained in only that because they were athletes). And in fights (nothing life of death, more like bar brawls) I've never seen one of them no end up winning. They have incredible physique, good reflexes, and the fact that they compete in a controlled way doesn't mean they're complete retards who will follow the rules in a real situation. Try to train (seriously, like more than 6 months) in any martial art, you'll see it's not like you become a robot who can only obey the rules. Your brain can tell the difference between competition (where you warm up, wear your specific attire, get your named called, salute your opponent...) and someone attacking you. Unless you're retarded but that's another story (in that case you should rely on your retard strenght).

Someone stronger than you will come along and tip you over.

No matter how strong someone is they can't tip over water.

UFC/MMA stuff, or tell a teacher so you dont go to jail

Most people don't know how to fight other than to throw punches though, so in that respect boxers have a good advantage on the street but if you were to put a boxer up againsts a kickboxer, I can tell you right now the boxer wouldn't even know what hit him

If they get preparation, of course.

If they're attacked all of a sudden, they will most likely revert to their arena-selves

Its very common with MMA fighters who in real fights refuse to grab an opponent's wrists

>just become an animal

Does it involves roar like a Tiger?

Yeah, because of strength, not because of their j00do l33t skills.

Thats exactly the point.

And I dont know if you've been on a streetfight but people usually kick first, shitty kicks but they kick.

Clearly someone who has never fought before on the streets to say any of these martial arts is affective and which one isn't.

Yeah I wish I could say I knew more about Krav Maga but the guy I was learning from was a real chest-beating faggot so I decided to try it out another time.

I don't really know much about disarms but if I was unarmed, and somebody pulled a knife on me, I'm finding some kind of weapon or hauling ass.

In my 20s I maybe would stand my ground, but nowdays in my 30s, nahhhh.

Depends who's watching though, haha.

That is true by the most part. However, you're just trying too spin things around.

How is referring to few top-level aikidokas representative for all aikido practicioners worldwide. I'll tell you what: the average guy who boxed in an average gym for 6 months would absolutely decimate the average guy who trained aikido at the average dojo. I bet my life and soul on that statement.

Besides, none of the guys who teach army-like structures is a full fledged martial artist in a snigle art as it is. Most of them are people with shady past and a decade long fighting career - competetitive or otherwise and are well versed in mutliple styles.

MMA is a meme
youtu.be/VyllQuQuHZE

Rekt

>someone charges at him like a bull covering his head

Aaaaah, we're talking about anime? Sorry, I thought we were discussing real life here.

I feel how the Chi flows from your argument through your trips. That's incredible, user.

Krav maga is a really complete system. Its usually memed upon because of the whole jew thing but its actually pretty good.

Thats even the philosophy, of course. People who dont know about it think its either just throwing punches like a retard or just making disarms. The biggest part about KM is situational awareness.

They teach you to scan areas for possible escape routes, weapons and dangerous objects. Your first option if possible should be running, if not, then you should get a weapon, and if you cant, then you just fight where you stand.

>If they're attacked all of a sudden, they will most likely revert to their arena-selves
The difference is, the guys attacking will usually not be athletes too, or trained assassins. And I've never seen a judoka hesitate to throw a punch in a real situation. The only time it would matter is if a guy who had taken 15 years of krav maga went to fight someone who took 15 years of judo, all things being equal (strenght, speed and reflexes wise).

And that situation won't happen : you won't get mugged by actual ninjas who kill people daily.

Just pick a martial art you like (makes it easier to keep training) and train as hard as you can, all your life if possible. Even if some technique you know might not be the best in situation X against opponent Y, you'll be good 99% of the time because you'll know how to do stuff and be confident in it.

Now if you want to become a master, and go on challenging masters of other styles, like in a fucking anime of kung fu movie, picking a "style" will be a more important step.

>The idiot who willingly got right in the middle of 2 attackers

And people still insist MMA works in real life

Karate my friend.

Karate

Coworker used to work at Black Dolphin, he knows KM. When I first met him he managed to get my knife out of my pocket without me noticing. Didn't catch on till he started twirling it between his fingers.

Aikido I actually the best for self-defense. You can use it against trained and not trained people. But the autists here don't get the real meaning of aikido...

Faggot detected.

The best martial art that doesn't require you to learn anything and really effective is called "avoid a fight". And if you can't avoid the growing tension that leads to fight, then the best option for you to learn is called " run the fuck off". In that way, not only you've survivethe fight, you've also avoided it

Do you honestly expect taekwondo, a style which has been watered down for decades and which is thaught to kindergarden kids to be effective in real life?

Taekwondo focuses on flashy moves, mostly kicks. As any person with half a brain knows: flashy moves dont work in real life

Thank you for confirming you're just baiting, I wont reply to you anymore, dont worry.

>go watch a judo tournament, olympic stuff
>they still struggle a lot to even make a half assed throw

are you comparing olympic athletes to some random guy on the street?
believe me even if you got stiff someone at a black belt level would throw you easily. Google kuzushi you idiot

Be like Bruce and do jeet kun do

The way you explain it is great. I might give it another shot.

I had a general idea about it but I think finding a good teacher is key. Like a lot of martial arts there's so much circlejerking going around, I feel like a lot of schools I see these days are like crossfit gyms, if that makes any sense.

>Yeah, because of strength, not because of their j00do l33t skills.

If they had any skills they wouldn't need much strength.

If strength is all the matters why do martial arts and not just go to the gym more? Someone stronger will just come along and fuck you up.

Those ground sweeps are godly

>How is referring to few top-level aikidokas representative for all aikido practicioners worldwide. I'll tell you what: the average guy who boxed in an average gym for 6 months would absolutely decimate the average guy who trained aikido at the average dojo. I bet my life and soul on that statement.

I still maintain you should compare martial arts by comparing people with the same level of involvement and physical ability. Who care if maybe some grandmas can train in the same "style" you do, as long as you don't train like them.

But I totally agree with your statement. Boxing is the safest bet for someone who does not want to spend years, or be careful where they train.

I still advise 15yo obese summerfags to take boxing because it's not hard to understand even if you're a retard, not many complicated names to get (as in the asian martial arts), and you know quickly if you're fucking up (you get punched in the face). Even if you're in the worst boxing gym ever, you'll learn real world useful stuff.

You can't avoid all fights. Sometimes other people need defending.

OP, there is no best. Systema/Russian Martial Art is very practical. One of the only styles to practice against multiple opponents, and includes weapons, clothing use, etc, plus interior work and so on.

Other than that, lots of kali/escrima drills. Boxing is useful, if you keep your head up and don't slouch. Wrestling/judo is good, too, but in self-defense, you can't roll around on the ground. Someone will kick or smash your head in.

Well there are no aikido competitions on TV, and no anime about it, plus Steven Seagal is now a fatass who can't make a popular movie : must be shit.

Funny thing is when Seagall was making popular movies, places like Sup Forums would have been all over aikido.

Im comparing the fact that even top level judokas struggle throwing each other when the other puts resistance.

By resistance I mean both getting stiff and simply moving around

Im a former professional fighter now coach. Been training since i was 4 (26 years already) ive learned a wide array or disciplines. Any actual combat sports can help you greatly in self defense. But if you want martial arts that are designed to handicap your oponent in the fastest way possible then krav maga would be your top choice. American military selfdefense system is pretty good too, sambo and muaythai are very effective aswell

Meanwhile every vet has a story of a boot who fucks around practing the eyegouge and causes a fucking safety stand down.

All of them. Not joking.

You are wrong for so many reasons.

Dude, you're the clown who is laughed upon by literally everyone in this thread. I've trained muay thai, boxing, kickboxing, as well as meme shit such as karate (shotokan, kyokoshin, goju ryu), aikido, taekwondo and a bit of tai chi chuan. I'm calling them meme shit for a reason and the reason is that the average clown training them is a clueless weeaboo faggot such as yourself. Aikidokas specifically are mostly people who were never punched properly with full force in their life.

Charging like a bull covering his head? I sure as hell hope you're not fucking serious. If you are, apparently you're the same laughing stock in real life as you're in here. At least your fierceness here proves that you're too scared and socially inadequate to hold such a discussion with actual people face to face.

Only when 1 on 1.