Trout Mask Replica is the only true innovative rock record

Trout Mask Replica is the only true innovative rock record.

Prove me wrong.

Other urls found in this thread:

rateyourmusic.com/~ArseLonga
rateyourmusic.com/list/SellMeAGod/scaruffitize_me__capn__pt__1/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

It's a great record but most people like it to be contrarian like faggots like you

>try listening to this

>hear INGEST INCEST during the muttering bit of one of the songs

Nice mental illness in a box this album is.

>hurr, let's just make totally random unlistenable trash and call it art. Fucking nailed it Don

That there was at one time a first rock record means that you're wrong

It's the most overrated "underrated" record of all time.

I can't say that it's the "only true innovative rock record", and I probably wouldn't even classify it as rock at all, but I can't deny that is is probably the best album of any genre ever made.

A lot posters here think it is some sort of meme or joke album, but I recently learned that most people here are between the ages of 18-23, which would explain their undeveloped taste. My guess is that when most of those kids get a little older they will realize that Animal Collective and Radiohead don't carry as much weight as they think they do now, and will realize that this album is untouchable, despite the fact that it sounds like shit to them in their youth.

Radiohead fan confirmed.

nothing wrong with radiohead

nothing?

These are the most innovative rock albums ever

>>>>>>Spiderland
>Two Bob Dylan records (one is good enough

LAUGHING MY ASS OFF AT THE LAST TWO

Blonde on Blonde is the very first double rock album ever

>>>What's woody guitar comp

This is some abstract memeing here

if by innovative you mean completely random crap.
there are some good ideas scattered across it, and even a few good songs, but for the most part it is garbage.

>rock

Rock as a form is entirely innovative. That being said:

Anyone who doesn't "get" TMR is fucking clueless.

>According to Van Vliet, the 28 songs on the album were written in a single 8½ hour session at the piano, an instrument he had no skill in playing
how can people defend this crap?

it just goes to show you what a man can do

Beefheart is a notorious fucking liar. That album was made by a group of talented musicians that practiced 16 hours a day. Vliet oversaw the whole thing most likely, and added his admittedly impressive vocals.

Not the biggest fan of Loveless, but I can see it's influence on rock and noise scenes. Personally, I'd love the record if it weren't for (in my opinion) the useless simple percussion.

>not appreciating spiderland's massive influence on post rock and math rock

easy way to spot a pleb. agreed on the dylan though

>puts the edgiest contrarian albums out there

At least some of those albums are good, not that that's what you care about.

>Influence two genres that will never influence major genres and become relevant. nobody will give any care about the genres in the next decade

Kewl

>nobody will give any care about the genres in the next decade
[citation needed]

This isn't proving me wrong.

It's already been 20+ years since the album's release, and it's influence is still felt on records of today. Not to mention the post-rock scene is still an ongoing scene to this day, all over the world. Nigga use your goddamn head.

Sup Forums =//= Music industry

Stop thinking your shit core mu bands have any relevance in today's Muisc.

Solid list, maybe missing a Frank Zappa album (Freak Out, Absolutely Free, or Hot Rats, take your pick). Also Pet Sounds, Faust or the Faust Tapes, R Stevie Moore- Phonography, and Chuck Berry- After School Session.

Wouldn't go as far as to call Tago Mago super influential in comparison to similar krautrock acts who were doing the same thing. Also, it's not even the second best Can album. Spiderland is kinda iffy, Loveless is only influential in it's rather isolated subgenre of Alt Rock.

>thinking innovation=influence

learn to read you fucking idiot

Influence and innovation are both need you down

>you down
no you're clearly the one with downs

Name one innovative album that isn't influence.

You can't. Stop trying to loop around the cereal bowl.

How does it "innovate"?

The pop songs on Smile were innovative but didn't really influence much due to not being released.

The Residents were innovative but didn't leave much lasting influence.

learn to fucking speak english

and you're not understanding what i'm saying. i agreed with spiderland being one of the most innovative rock albums ever, and someone said i was wrong because post rock and math rock aren't mainstream enough for spiderland to count as influential.

then i said that innovation =/= influence, and spiderland was still super super innovative (and influential as well) even if it didn't influence billboard chart music that much

It's innovative. But saying it's the most innovative rock album is pure retarderd.
And an insult to true innovative rock album.

he wasnt at all musically trained which was sort of why people like it, its avant garde music with no musical intellectualism attached to it
there has only ever been one spiderland in existence so far. no album has mirrored it succesfully - yet so many rock records have aspects of it in their songs. there was no spiderland before spiderland.

dude if you disagree then name rock albums that were more innovative.

the reason i think spiderland counts even though it didn't influence a TON of genres is because of the massive impact it had on the ones that it did. who the fuck was doing stuff like that in '91? the atmosphere on that album is so mindblowingly different than other shit going on at the time that i think it counts

can we please keep this going through his top albums list? I'd help but I can't use photoshop

>name rock albums that were more innovative
The Modern Dance
Metal Box
Daydream Nation

Scaruffi drones make me sick

I'm not the guy you're responding to but I'll name some.

Frank Zappa- Absolutely Free (First side long musical suites in Rock Music)
Faust- Faust or the Faust Tapes (Invented Industrial and Noise Music respectively)
Joe Meek- I Hear a New World (Early Ambient IDM)
Perrey and Kingsley- The In Sound From Way Out (First Commercial Bleep Bloops)
Pet Sounds (Invented the Pop musician as composer)
The Modern Dance (Single Handed Inventor of most Post-Punk tropes)
R Stevie Moore- Phonography (Indie Music in the early 70s)
Chuck Berry- After School Session (Changed the guitar from a melodic instrument to an animal you kept on a leash.)

>edgy and contrarian

Most of those albums are popular and are known as some of the best albums of all time

>chastises me for saying spiderland is innovative because it wasn't influential to enough music
>fucking names The Modern Dance
damn

the only one i agree with on that list is probably pet sounds.
also, why isn't marquee moon listed with the modern dance? it came out a year earlier and definitely had a heavy heavy influence on post punk

>two bob Dylan albums
>spiderland

I agree about Loveless though

Marquee Moon honestly just feels like another CBGB's punk album, with delusions of grandeur and self importance. The Modern Dance has the genuinely bizarre song structures and abrasive timbres that I'd group closer with Post Punk.

Oh yeah, and as far as being innovative, you have to include a Residents album. I'd disagree with you on some points, but I like your spirit. Do you have an RYM?

thatmind

this one's better; correct font and in all caps

>Marquee Moon honestly just feels like another CBGB's punk album, with delusions of grandeur and self importance.
eh, agree to disagree

and i do but i never use it so i have like 5 albums on there. what's yours though?

rateyourmusic.com/~ArseLonga

Honestly, there might be a lot of debate about the specifics, but our collective idea of what makes an important album is remarkably similar. Getting some rock historians together for a collaborative list might be interesting.

And if we're counting unique atmospheres. You've got to include Suicide.

not him but i like your picks for 5s

remove "many"

I will be compiling these into a topsters chart if yall wanna keep going

Keep going, this is fantastic.

good luck with the doors tho'

I've got MANY to THE (In the Beatles) so I'll dump

>God Tier
Dachau Blues
Neon Meate Dream of a Octafish

>Demi God Tier
Sugar 'n Spikes
Ella Guru

>Top Great Tier
Sweet Sweet Bulbs
Pachuco Cadaver

>Mid Great Tier
Moonlight on Vermont
Bills Corpse

>Low Great Tier
Frownland
My Human Gets Me Blues
Hair Pie: Bake 2
Pena
She's Too Much for My Mirror
Hobo Chang Ba
Veteran's Day Poppy

>Good Tier
Hair Pie: Bake 1
Dali's Car
Fallin' Ditch
Ant Man Bee
The Blimp (Mousetrapreplica)
Steal Softly Thru Snow
Old Fart at Play

>Okay Tier
China Pig
When Big Joan Sets Up
Wild Life

>Poetry Tier
The Dust Blows Forward 'n the Dust Blows Back
Well
Orange Claw Hammer

And that's all, maybe we should make a new thread for this so this doesn't all get deleted

Parson Sound
White Light/White Heat
Black Monk Time

just one more! to make a top ten!
I'm already making it!

desertshore doesn't seem to hard but idk photoshop

Dachau Blues ain't that great.
Moonlight On Vermont should be higher.

Just because it's poetry doesn't make Orange Claw Hammer one of the best tracks on the album. I couldn't stop laughing each time Beefheart somehow managed to elongate his rambling story, and the barely audible tape effects give great atmospere.

heres what i got so far

This is better.
36 squares, just like the number of words the first sentence has.

bump

bumpin this

that might become the most beautiful chart i've ever seen

toasting in epic bread here
please keep it going guys

Nothing more? :(

we need to finish this. BUMPIRONI

this one doesn't really work, should get away from the artist name, imo
i dont know how to use photoshop though, so sorry for being so useless :(

Good luck on Red Krayola. You're going to need it.

treasure by cocteau twins did loveless better and earlier, and the laughing stock much more groundbreaking than spiderman

Maybe use a " for Red Crayola? So that we use 38 albums instead of 36 (which means, including Slint).

treasure is not loveless, it's just ethereal sounding pop, which is great but it's not the same
loveless is perfect beautiful harmony of chaos

The Beatles - revolver

THE ABSOLUTE MADMAN

someone help me finish this

I'm still here, friend

>treasure by cocteau twins did loveless
>better
Wrong
>and earlier
Wrong

>and the laughing stock much more groundbreaking than spiderman
Wrong too
Also
>not Spirit of Eden
This is how I know you are a meme-pleb

Use this ranking btw
rateyourmusic.com/list/SellMeAGod/scaruffitize_me__capn__pt__1/

This has gotta be the best meme I've seen on Sup Forums in a while

why do you always have to use a tripcode?