Who here is in the air force? If so can you guys answer some questions for someone who's enlisting?

who here is in the air force? If so can you guys answer some questions for someone who's enlisting?

Active duty, 1w0x1 here

Ask away

>pro tip: dont do it

I just enlisted in the navy, why the Airforce?
whats your best piece of advice for getting through bootcamp?

If you ever want out, tell your officer that the air isn't worth saving

Sign for 4 instead of 6. Everyone regrets not doing so. Doubt you'll fucking listen though.

Navy bootcamp is different but not my much

Just don't let anything get to you. Just remember you're there being paid to eat, exercise, clean, and learn how to march. Thats it. It's easy.

Whenever someone is disqualified in boot or just has issues getting through it the only reasons are
>A. Theyre a fatty
>B. Theyre emotional

Thats it. Just do what you're told, don't ask questions, lie low, and have some fun while you're there.

Also not OP obviously but I didnt want to be on a boat 6 months out of the year so I went air force

Only sign for 6 if you go in with a guaranteed contract. If you go in as Open sign for 4. That way if you get a shitty job you can train out in 3 or you can get out in 4. And if you end up liking what you're doing you can extend, or sign again.

The only advantage to 6 is being promoted to E-3 earlier but its only a few months difference, its a few hundred dollars in pay.

I signed 4 and am glad I did so I can try to crosstrain at my 3 year mark. My friends that signed 6 are regretting it because their job ended up being shitty and they want out.

This, especially if you go Linguist. Best scam out there if you can survive school. If you're not good at rote memorization in a compressed time frame/don't have a knack for languages, don't do it. If you can, then you spend most of your time in training and then you're enlistment's almost up. Decide to stay in or re-enlist from there.

>1U0X1 here
Decent, somewhat-frustrating, sometimes-rewarding job, crazy schedules, some shitty bases (unless you're smart and go Guard or Reserve). Get the equivalent of flight pay, too.

If you call it a fucking drone I will gut you, though.

Can you make good money on the outside with that?

Fair enough, One last question i don't know if you can help me with this or not. Do you know anything about the CTR field (Navy), Its the job i got and i haven't been able to find to much online about it.

You go to the same cryptolinguist school as the other branches.

You learn a language. Depending what you get it can be 6 months to 2 years. If you fail out of the school expect another demanding job like weather. All of the navy weather people in my school were linguist drop outs.

You have to have your ass straight for crypto. Most schools if you get less than a 70% on a test twice will reclassify you. For crypto if you just seem like you arent doing well they'll reclass you.

people keep telling me that the reserves is not the "real" military.

is weather even a decent job to have because i was gonna try to get a job like cyber surety or client systems?

At PoM right now. Hate life.

Definitely go for a comm job, you can make bank in the civilian world.

Weather is shitty, don't do it. Don't take an open contract either.

When you say language do you mean programming language or just a language?

Army here, fuck you chair force
Sorry user

This is gonna sound stupid but im a senior in high school but whats an "open" contract?

Contracts ebb and flow, but if you get launch and recovery qualified, you can bank >$100k a year as a pilot or sensor. MQ-1, MQ-9, other stuff coming down the pipe, doesn't matter.

Depends. Are you a part-timer or full-timer? I'm Guard now, did over 10 on Active. You still have some silly requirements to do, but overall it's less painful if you have leadership that gives a shit about you. Thing is, a lot of the Reservists and Guardsmen I've known are either chill and fucking good at their jobs, or wound tight and generally bad at their jobs. Rather interesting really.

You go in without a specified job, so they put you wherever. ( You could end up cleaning toilets or as a cook )

CTR's pretty cool cause you get stationed at a base as opposed to on a ship; If you're CTR, they can randomly tell you to hop on a ship and serve as a linguist, (not sure about the frequency of this happening, sorry), but you're not technically part of the ship's crew so you don't have to do a lot of the bitchwork associated with being enlisted on a ship. That and sweet sweet language pay.

Damn, so when i visit the the recruiter i say i dont want an "open" contract?

>PFC numnutz
Some of us work our ass off to watch your ass. Wait 'till a Hellfire smokes a bunch of assholes with AKs and RPGs 100m from you; you'll sing a different tune then.

With what I hear about the newest iterations of the phase program, I can't fucking blame you. Life got better when I phased up and moved to the up-the-hill dorms, but until you can go off-base for a while on weekends, it's soul-sucking. I failed at Arabic before I moved on and later became a 1U.

Honestly im not even sure if you can go in open contract anymore, No your recruiter isnt the person you would tell. After you talk to your recruiter and fill out a shit ton of paper work they will send you up to meps to see if your physically able to join the military and if you pass you will talk to a guy that will tell you all the jobs you can get ( Based on ASVAB score ) after you pick a job they will compile a contract.

You want a "guaranteed job." Some recruiters may try to weasel around the wording, but you want a no-shit, guaranteed AFSC of your choosing (provided your ASVAB and other indicators work) in writing.

I didn't mean it literally, man. It's just a thing we all do; give each-other shit. I respect Chair Force even though they are Chair Force.

Also my MOS is 35G so I pretty much sit in an office all day.

I'm up the hill now, 6 months into Mandarin and I don't graduate til next May, fam :^)
Every operational A8 I've ever talked to has said they love their job, but ho ho holy shit is it rough getting there. What were transition phases like when you came through?

A literal language. You can get spanish, chinese, russian, some fucking middle eastern shit. It depends on how you scored on the DLAB

You go in without a specified job but in a specified category. For the Air Force there's Open General, Electrical, Admin, and Mechanical.

Don't straight out say that. Just list the jobs you want after you figure out what you qualify for, and if you're recruiter ends up calling you telling you they got an open contract for you, turn it down until they have one of the jobs you listed

I figured I'd toss it back at ya. NBD, though. Most of our jobs are chair-based, but it pays the bills and fills a lot of needed roles...

>A8
Hoo boy are people still waiting weeks and months for training flights in Omaha?

When would i take the DLAB? Bootcamp/A-School?

At some point before MEPS.

Aw fuckin Christ dude, there's MORE waiting? I dunno right now, I'm still at PoM
Usually while you're in the DEP

Ive already been to meps and i never took the DLAB? Should i talk to my recruiter about it?

Same armyfag here, good luck on the DLAB. Hardest fucking test in the military imo.

You'll take it before/during/after you go to MEPS (any of those times are possible) or even after you've gone through your initial training if it opens up.

Ok ive got a dep meeting tomorrow, so that might be when im taking it. Could they change my job if i fail DLAB?

Shit, forgot to answer your question. On a very old version of the phase program, my first few weeks in tech school were no civvies at all (didn't have a room mate, fortunately enough), morning and afternoon formations, etc. Phase II was civvies on weekends and after duty; can't remember if I was allowed off base in uniform or not. Phase III was no afternoon formation besides PT, MTLs didn't check up on you so much, could go off base but had curfew. Phase IV was morning formation, PT, otherwise take care of your shit and be back on base during weeknights by curfew, weekends you could stay off base overnight with approval (ie family in town, group trip to Salinas, etc.). I still have my phase cards buried in a box or that vinyl portfolio thing somewhere.

Ok CTN1 here, I work with plenty of CTRs

CTR's are NOT linguist, CTI's are linguist.

You collect and operate comms, get to learn a lot about signaling and encoding, and may get to work some cool jobs. Ask me anything.

You don't "fail" it, but if your score is lower than some arbitrary cut-off (depends on need, IIRC), then you either get an easy language or choose a different job.

Thing about flight training of any sort is that it's like an accordion. You'll have academics, maybe a flight or two real quick, then it may slow down for a while. Get to the end and it's a mad dash to get you to your checkride and GTFO. Scheduling for aircrew training of any sort is a nightmare; trust me. I've done it and it is a shitty additional duty to have. Making it work so that people get out on time or even early was pretty satisfying, though.

3D1X1 Client Systems Tech here shits easy as fuck and i hate the air force for all its bull shit rules, but like the job.

CTN1 again,

First CTR's are not linguist.

Second, everyone takes the DLAB week 5 of bootcamp

Air Force did it differently than the Navy when I came in, then. Either way, it's a funny test. If logic doesn't work, let intuition or, hell, whimsy make your answers for you.

Slick sleeved private not knowing what the fuck he's dealing with. Sit the fuck down.
> I just hit ten years last week, was a combat engineer now I'm an Intel analyst and SSG(P) and loving every second.
Everyone's experience is different so enjoy it as much as you can. You'll know of its for you after the first nine months or so.

>(unless you're smart and go Guard or Reserve).

I used to think it was a great deal, but the last four years deployed/mobilized working for the active duty changed my mind.

>did this
>sucks bags of dicks
>no one understands you
>employers and coworkers hate you for being gone
>come back from duty and your computer is fucked up, co-workers were promoted and you weren't, and now you're expendable
>family resents you for your absences
>a weekend a month and two weeks a year adds up (six weeks a year)
>trash your body keeping up with fitness requirements
>g and r will keep sucking the life out of you
>get mobilized and now you're at the mercy of some active duty fuck stick that surely doesn't give a rats ass about you
>you'll be blamed for shit when things go wrong
>mountains of stupid endless administrative requirements suck any fun that might be had and takes you from learning and doing your job
>and you'll be kicked to the curb when you are broken
>WHAT?! you're injured or sick?!! MALINGERER!!!!
>say they care about you and your family

protip - zero fucks will be given

Why join a non PTing, no nut having branch like the AF?

It was a joke, sarnt.

Thank God, Ive got so many questions where to start? What are some of the basics i can learn to make A-School easier? What would a work day entail/ Some of the tasks i would be required to do? How realistic is it to get a college degree while active duty as a CT?

Little more current info than Every service has its cutoff for the DLAB. AF is 110, but after you sign your contract, languages are assigned as needed, DLAB scores not considered. Some recruiters want their recruits to be linguists so they'll send their people to test multiple times until they pass, so failing it doesn't really matter unless you're set on being a linguist.

I would have joined the military but unfortunately I paid attention in school

Big boy program. Pass you test or suffer consequences.

Depends on what job, base, and leadership. My job doesn't deploy often at all. My leadership works around shit all the time. Your kid sick? Go take care of it; we got it. You break yourself? Get it fixed and do drills 'till you're healthy (or office work if you're on orders anyway). Can't really speak to the civilian employer side, though. I like to think my area's pretty forgiving since it's slightly right-of-center and even a good chunk of the Dems have either served, have family that served, or just support us anyhow.

Hahahaaaaaaaa, the typical fucking civvie.
Despite your 'knowledge', the military is actually much harder in some job fields than college. My AIT for the Army was 24 fucking weeks. In Arizona. I learned a shit ton, and you have to have certain ASVAB scores for jobs.

Nice b8/10

kek so what is it that you do now. College,Job?

Yeah, the first phase is still in place, but the second one seems a little more relaxed. Civvies after class and you can go out into town whenever still in civies. Still have to do AM formation and 3 days of squadron PT though. 3rd phase is fucking great now, though. No formations, no PT, just class and you're done for the day 90% of the time.

Good. It got super strict after I left my last tech school. I guess Common Sense is breaking out again.

>What are some of the basics i can learn to make A-School easier?
Don't worry about it, the Navy will teach you everything they need and expect you to know. However if you want to get ahead, teach yourself binary and a bit of RF and wave physics for being a CTR. But at that point, you might as well just be a CTN, the pay is better and you won't be forced to go on a ship.

>What would a work day entail/ Some of the tasks i would be required to do?
In A-school, you'll be in Florida taking classes with your mates 8 hours a day with paid room and board, plenty of time to enjoy being in but also get your future situated. You'll stand watch 1 a week or so depending on how your duty sections are set up, easy day. After you graduate you'll fly out to either a ship (not common for CT's) but most likely a shore command as an intel analyst where you ACTUALLY learn your job. (Pending clearance)
>How realistic is it to get a college degree while active duty as a CT?
Incredibly realistic. CT's are the smartest, and have the best opportunities in the Navy. You'll be well connected and if you use the skill you learn you can expect about 80-100k a year with 10 years experience.

That being said, try to be a CTN.

god that's so fucking frustrating. I know there's a waiting list at Goodfellow and SERE, but I was really hoping that it'd open up a bit once I got operational. What's the time span like on getting flight certified?

Well "common sense" is a little too generous..

Lol annon. You don't even know, two degrees, 126 GT score..waiting to get THE FUCK OUT of the army. But atleast you want to commit, I give you props for that.
And sergeant...you deployed out of fort fucking wainwright with A pog ass unit... congrats, I would be slick sleeve over your "combat" patch any day. Carry the fuck on

Roll with it; worth it in the end. Study your pubs, observe sims and flights, ask questions, go in the vault and study your 3-1, stay involved. Take time for yourself, sure, but it is what you make of it. Some days, you get paid to simply show up to "work" and kill time until you get to go back to your room. Some days, you're going to work 12-14 for a single sortie. Don't be the guy that gets highlighted because he misses briefs consistently (you'll probably be late to one; take your lumps and buy a 6pack or case if 21, otherwise some other gift to the squadron as pennance), is stanky, puts no effort into his GK, etc. I've seen kids booted out for lack of effort. I've seen NCOs and baby airmen both given the opportunity to retrain after they washed out because they put in appreciable effort. I've been on those boards, no less.

Without a doubt im going to keep CTN as a open option, anytime you get into network administration or really just anything with networks you can make some serious money. I would have preferred it to be my first job but when my recruiter came back with the CTR job i didnt wanna pass it up.

Just one of my five deployments and yes I do rotate patches because even thigh some were way more crush than others I'm proud of all five deployments. My only regret is not making it to wainwright in time for 1-25 SBCT otherwise I'd end up with them on their 18 month deployment. What could have been.

ehh, Not really net admin work. As a CTN you learn how Computer systems work from the processor up, then ways to exploit them.

Keep in mind, it's your future and your job. Just because the recruiter wants to meet a quota and suggest something doesn't mean that's the only position available to you.

Hey sarnt, PFC Slicksleeves here.
That photo from earlier was from when I was in BCT; check the title date, it's from May of this year.

I have an option 40 contract as a 35G. Might be a POG, but still more badass than your POG ass.

Yeah, I'm not worried about an LoE. I just think it's really cool that you can actually buy a case of beer to make up for fucking up and move on with your life. I don't know if y'all had ropes back when you came through, but nowadays it's nothing like that. No one takes blame when they fuck up, everyone snitches on each other, and if you do fuck something up, you've got a target on your back from all of the MTLs.

hey ssg, i feel like youre based in korea haha

>ropes
Most of mine were good, green, yellow, red, or white (one white rope was a sleazebag, though). Black ropes don't count. I was lucky. Some folks ended up with a green or yellow rope above them that had it out for them, middle-school style.

Hell, I've been in over 11 years now and I'll be a little late once in a while. Nobody says anything because I either bring food for everyone or they see me do 11 and 12 hours more often than not, and I fill in for people regularly. Is it right that I'm a few minutes late? Hell no, but dammit I put effort in when I'm at work.

lel not ssg but spc here and no one cares. im ADA and THAT is pog as fuck but i dont give a fuck man, i do my job and i do it good.

Yeah that middle-school thing is becoming more and more common, and they're all a bunch of brown nosers too, which would be fine (I guess?) if they practiced what they preached, but a good deal of them are shitty airmen who just know how to put up a good front. That bit kills me.

Regardless you seem pretty cool. I hope I'll have NCOs like you.

35G? Who are you kidding.
Actually I was out of Lewis with an FA unit, got nominated for DIA spot so now I'm moving to the ultimate POG position.

I'm kidding nobody.

I'll be honest. I'm a better line guy and instructor than I am an NCO. There are good ones out there; you'll figure it out before too long. Don't kiss-ass, but if you find a good one you can rely on, learn everything you can from 'em.

oh man I hear people hate Huachuca.

Well shit dude. Lemme tell you this, if you end up exploiting FMV, talk to some sensor ops via whisper or phone call. Understanding what we do and vice-versa goes a long way. If you end up doing that, you'll know what I mean.

Like I said 35G is a joke, my buddy used to be a fueler and now he's a Golf. Still, I wish you the best at Corp. Additionally, listen to this guy , you'll create better products for 35Fs to "analyze" (steal).
it's not the worst unless your an IET and hate the outdoors