/lang/ - Language Learning thread

>What language are you learning?
>Share language learning experiences!
>Help people who want to learn a new language!
>Find people to train your language with!

>Language learning resources:
4chanint.wikia.com/wiki/The_Official_Sup Forums_How_to_Learn_A_Foreign_Language_Guide_Wiki

duolingo.com/
>Duolingo is a free language-learning platform that includes a language-learning website and app, as well as a digital language proficiency assessment exam. Duolingo offers all its language courses free of charge.

>Torrents with more resources than you'll ever need for 30+ languages.

drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B9QDHej9UGAdcDhWVEllMzJBSEk#
>Google Drive folder with books for all kinds of languages.

fsi-languages.yojik.eu/languages/oldfsi/index.html
>Drill based courses with text and audio.The Foreign Service Institute (FSI) is the United States federal government's primary training institution for employees of the U.S. foreign affairs community.These courses are all in public domain and free to download.Site may go down sometimes but you can search for fsi on google and easily find a mirror.

memrise.com/
>Free resource to learn vocabulary, nice flash cards.

lingvist.com/
>It's kinda like Clozemaster in the sense that you get a sentence and have to fill in the missing word, also has nice statistics about your progress, grammar tips and more information about a word (noun gender, verb aspects for Russian, etc.)

ankisrs.net/
>A flash card program

clozemaster.com/languages
>Clozemaster is language learning gamification through mass exposure to vocabulary in context.Can be a great supplementary tool, not recommended for absolute beginners.

tatoeba.org/eng/
>Tatoeba is a collection of sentences and translations with over 300 hundred languages to chose from.

Continued from:

Other urls found in this thread:

learnrussian.rt.com/
is.Sup
youtube.com/watch?v=9omaLUaQ4yY
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

There are websites with people who have the same idea as you: chatting with natives. Not necessarily like interpals, or the /cp/ thread. I'm sure a quick Google would reveal good results. Can't help you much with the timezones problem

I'm an A2 in German, my vocabulary is horrible, if you want to talk I'm up for it. Otherwise, I'd love to know how you reached that level and how long it took you.

As for the French dude in the last thread, the lingua franca for the whole Europe is definitely English, German and French are also quite popular

i started russian month ago, lear fews basic phrases and the alphabet, now i don't make any progress and slowly lose all motivation. I do duolingo time to time. Is there any russian learner ? what is the best method ?

Talking about eastern Europe, I think, German is the most popular foreign language in Slovenia, Czech Republic, Poland, etc. Russian and English are more popular in Ukraine, Belarus and Russia. But I can't say that many people speak French there. It's not so wide spread

Well maybe that's more of a Romanian thing, people like studying French here.

Don't give up, user. I can help you, if you need. So it will be a good practice also, cause I'm a native speaker

As a general advice to language learning, do it daily.

Yeah man, I'm up for it. Not too sure how to exchange info and stuff though.

You got skype?

In my opinion, you should never burden yourself with these learning curves and categorisations, because the real art in speaking languages is the thinking process. If you can sit where you are and try to think in German, form coherent and understandable (simple or not) sentences, that's a mighty threshold. Beyond that is progress like any other, be it academic sentences or just a small expansion on a certain conversational aspect. It's truly rewarding, observing this from a learner's viewpoint, unlike learning how to write and actually writing, using (even minimum) vocabulary. Why? Because they teach us how to write. They drill sentences into our heads that inevitably find themselves on papers and screens in front of us. But they can't teach you how to think in a certain language and go your way about talking to others. That's all you, your "spatial-vocabulary" logic

Wow. I was there last summer. Didn't notice this.
Btw, Braşov is such a beautiful town c:

Email me at [email protected], it's a throwaway email of mine.

The thing is learning a language(or anything for that matter) is exactly like that.There will be periods where everything will go fine and you are making good steady progress then there will be periods where you can barely figure out a small thing in 10+ hours.So don't be discouraged it's all part of the process.

It's true what you say but my goal is to reach b1/2 by this summer... Online testing rates me at a2 so I'm still hopeful since I haven't been as consistent as I should have.
It truly is, I've been there too last summer. Seeing the red square is a childhood dream of mine, hope I'll do it one day.

It is a language from a completely different language family. You should take this into great consideration. Your "problems" are natural even for those learning languages from the same language family. Patience is important in your situation, since you're on a bit harder journey

Also, forgot to add, if you haven't, try the RT course. It's very, very foreigner friendly, neatly written and slowly introduces you to different grammar categories

learnrussian.rt.com/

It's amazing c: Moscow is beautiful, especially the center. But I also recommend you to visit Saint-Petersburg. The most mysterious and romantic place I know. Fell in love with it, while visiting in June for the first time

How is the public transport there? Can I make do just with Google maps and virtually no Russian?

i tried everyday. duolingo or reading some learning book but im stuck at a basic level, i don't know how to go further, it's very frustrating. For expample i learn the imprimant alphabet in a few hours but the cursive is like chinese, i can read russian poster here (slowly) but not in cursiv.

>. Patience is important in your situation
indeed
>learnrussian.rt.com/
thank for the link

i won't stop because i really like russian, i think there is a lot in common with french, like in the literature we a have a litlle bit the same spirit.

Talking about Moscow and S-Pb, you can use the underground there - it's very beautiful and the maps are easy to understand. It's quite cheap. Also there's a train from Moscow to S-Pb. It will take you only 4 hours to get from one city to another.
People speak English well there, especially the young generation, they are more open to foreigners, I think.
Actually, there's nothing dangerous or frightening about going to Russia

I've lived in some shady neighborhoods, it's all good, I'm just worried about the fact I have no understanding of Russian.

Russia is a very beautiful country, is summer the best time to visit Moscow and the like?

Forego the cursive for now. It is important for you to learn the "stamped" alphabet, for PC use, city and road markings, newspaper reading and such. Cursive will come later.

There is a lot in common with French and all Slavic literature. Our authors were all inspired by the French, with an added dose of "grit", because we're Slavic. We have dozens of very prolific "realists" (inspired by French descriptiveness in Realism) who are actually full fledged naturalists.

Can Slavs understand each other reasonably well without any foreign language study at all? For example, Russians and Ukrainians? I imagine the difference is similar to Portuguese and Spanish, yeah?

These two cities are the touristic centres, so it's not a big problem if you don't know the language. As I said, people are ready to help.
Summer can be really hot here sometimes, but it's a good time to visit Moscow. You can also go in May or September.

We can understand each other to varying degrees. A Ukrainian can understand a Russian better than a Croat can. A Croat can understand a Czech better than a Russian can. A Bulgarian can understand a Macedonian better than a Slovak can and a Croat can understand a Slovene better than a Serb can

Geography plays the role, and the "vital" verbs, used in almost every sentence (like/love, hate, eat, live, think, breathe, befriend, make and so on) are pretty much the same in all Slavic languages, which makes a good communication foundation

was learning spanish for the worst reason you can learn a language [spoiler]girl[/spoiler] and that failed miserably when she left the scene of course
I started re-learning french recently, I never did great in highschool but I'm suprised with how much I remember and am making good progress so far

also some of those books in that google drive look quite old, but thanks for all the links

Russian, Belorussian and Ukrainian are pretty similar, though there are some differences. But people from Belarus and Ukraine usually speak Russian fluently. But if we talk about other slavic languages, they all are different. Some random words and grammar rules are the same, but actually it's hard, for example, for russians to understand poles or croatians.

Ne vjerujem ti :^)
Nužno je dati truda. Možeš li razabrati ovo bez GT?
Ne izgleda teško

>Forego the cursive for now. It is important for you to learn the "stamped" alphabet, for PC use, city and road markings, newspaper reading and such. Cursive will come later.

maybe you'r right, i will focus on "stamped" alphabet for now and increase my reading rapidity. It will certainly give me a boost in my motivation. It's really pleasing to actually learn a new languague and understand even few word or phrases in movies, song etc.

>There is a lot in common with French and all Slavic literature. Our authors were all inspired by the French, with an added dose of "grit", because we're Slavic. We have dozens of very prolific "realists" (inspired by French descriptiveness in Realism) who are actually full fledged naturalists.

I completely agree, i always feel they were a lot in common, i especially love the work of Dostoïevski, rashkolnikov is my friend. I guess it's even better in russian.

neato mosquito, thanks.

The French prepositions with articles discourage me to pick up French again. I simply can't incorporate French articles in a fluid manner (since our languages don't have articles).

All your Romance "delle, nelle, aux, a la, auquel, au laquelle, degli, colla". Making my head explode. Otherwise, your grammars are straightfoward and much, MUCH more simple than ours
Every time I talked with Spaniards and Italians, they either said I'm lacking in articles, or I overuse them

He is a great author. Try also Leo Tolstoy. His War and Peace is a classical Russian literature, just like Dostoevski's works.
And you're right, the original texts are amazing and the language is very beautiful.

I understand the first sentence, but then only a half of the text is clear. What language is it?

>All your Romance "delle, nelle, aux, a la, auquel, au laquelle, degli, colla". Making my head explode.
kek i know french is one of hardest languague to learn for a foreigner, don't worry even native (like me) make a lots of mistake.

>Otherwise, your grammars are straightfoward and much, MUCH more simple than ours
Russian grammar is hell according to every russian learner. But if get throught, i will achieve a great thing, at me level.

>He is a great author. Try also Leo Tolstoy. His War and Peace is a classical Russian literature, just like Dostoevski's works.
>And you're right, the original texts are amazing and the language is very beautiful.

thanks i will, i wish i could read in orginal because translation are always a betreyal. Like céline, only in french it seems right.

Thanks for the tips Ivan, happy new year!

Я пpocтo в шoкe. Кaк этo вoзмoжнo?

Ne = He
Vjerujem = Bepю (Vjerovati = Bepить)
Ti = тeбe (Ti is a short form of "tebi" in my language)
Nužno = Hyжнo
Je = not used in Russian, but it is the verb "am/are/is"
Dati = Дaть
Trud = Tpyд (work, effort)
Možeš = Moжeшь
Li = Ли (interrogative particle, e.g Знaeшь ли)
Razabrati = Paзoбpaть/Paзoбpaтьcя/Paзбиpaтьcя
Ovo = Этo (understandable that you don't know this)
Bez = Бeз
Ne = He
Izgleda = Быглядит (Izgledati = Bыглядeть)
Teško = Tяжкoe

Look how identic these words are. How you couldn't understand it is beyond me...

Well, I have some problems with all these š, ž, etc. But if you know how to pronounce the sounds, it becomes easier to understand the text.

Does anyone have a good site which really describes when to use à and when to use de when forming a compound noun in French? Like I don't understand why you have «une robe à manches» and not «une robe de manches», since I thought that the sleeves were a defining factor and thus you would use de

Damn Russians. They never learn.

Š = Ш
Ž = Ж
Č = Ч
Ć = ЧЬ
DŽ = pronounced as ДЖ, used in loanwords mostly
Đ = Soft "ДЖ", or more closely "ДЖЙ". Pronounce these three as fast as you can, together, until you reach a soft, "gooey" sound resembling "ДЖ"

Happy New Year, user! C:
/call me Maria, not Ivan, plz/

Perhaps because "de/des" is used as a "quantifier", with inanimate things. Maybe, just maybe, "de" would signify "some" there. Maybe. Don't take my word for it

> Damn Russians. They never learn.
Why so rude, maan. I'm always ready to learn something new. Thanks, anyway

Hoću biti ljubazan, no ne mogu

àfaik:

à = a thing that serves a purpose (ex: une bouteille à vin = a wine bottle, a bottle for the purpose of holding/serving wine, at least this is how I think of it)
de = possession/compound stuff (ex: une bouteille de vin = a bottle OF wine)

Жaль.

Friendly reminder not to give up.

is.Sup Forums.org/wsg/1482937210899.webm

Ja (sam) Balkanac. Mi ne možemo biti ljubazni.
Bole me zubi na (po)misao ljubaznosti
Svijet ostaje na ljubaznim Rusima

Saluton, toki, coi, etc.

I can't wait for another year of learning useless meme languages.

That's alright Maria, you're all Ivan to me

PLS B MY SLAV GF

Meh. I always thought that people from the Balcan countries are calm and kind. Don't know why

> a Croat can understand a Slovene better than a Serb can
???

Po tome što nikada nisi posjetio (=пoceтить) Balkan?

What to learn, as a lad from Ohio, boys?

What for, my American friend?

Misliš da Hrvat ne može razumjeti Slovenca bolje nego Srbin? Ili što misliš da sam time rekao? Srbi su udaljeniji Slovencima nego nama, i zemljopis je uvjetovao to da ih zbog dijalekata razumijemo bolje nego Srbi/vi

Spanish

+ Spanish in the U.S
+ Spanish in the Americas representation
+ Spanish grammar
+ Spanish near phonetic pronunciation

- Spanish "r" for Anglo speakers

I visited Romania last summer. And I'm going to visit Macedonia and Bulgaria in spring.

How do I pronounce א or ע in Hebrew. Everywhere I look I see things saying it isn't pronounced, but then I see things saying they are pronounced the same.

Took 3 years of spanish, and also went on a trip to central america this summer desu

Mislim da prosječan čovjek iz Vukovara ili s Hvara nema nikakve prednosti nad čovjekom iz Beograda. Purger ili neko ko živi tik uz granicu da, ali to nije toliko do hrvatskog jezika već do čiste izloženosti, koja je ograničena na mali dio Hrvatske. Ono, možeš li mi dati neki primjer gdje bi prosječan Hrvat razumio nešto, a Srbin ne? Ne mogu da zamislim, a da nije nešto striktno lokalno.

Taj dio Hrvatske je i oblikovao standardni jezik. Bez obzira na dijalekt. Činjenica je da dijelimo riječi s njima koje ne dijelimo s vama

Još uvijek gajim određene sumnje. Također iskreno sumnjam da hrvatski ima i jednu svoju riječ, dakle ne germanizam ili talijanizam ili riječ dodanu u zadnjih 20 godina, koju ne dijeli s bosanskim ili srpskim. Još nisam čuo nepoznatu riječ na hrvatskom, koja nije očita posuđenica/tuđica ili arhaizam.

P. S. Sretna nova brate, zašto si na 4chanu?

classical syriac

Mi parolas ankaŭ la Esperanton.

Hey!

Would you like to join our collaborative language?

don't tell me what to do

Chinese

>tfw classmate from Ohio has a really good Beijing accent

Australian who couldn't decided what language to start learning is back with a decision:
>Italian

As specific of a language as it is it's what I really want to learn and I also really want to travel through Italy so it's a win win. Not to mention if you know Italian it's not too difficult to pick up French, which worldwide is a much more applicable language. And of course I already am a native English speaker so 'languages being applicable' probably shouldn't be a huge factor in me picking a language

So the ultimate goal is:
>Italian
>French
>And if I manage to do that and still want to learn another language I'll cross that bridge when I come to it

this, don't learn one of those pussy european languages

Espero que tengamos muchos hilos en el futuro también.
Happy new year
¡Feliz año nuevo!
¡Qué lo pasen bien!

Feliz año nuevo para ti también y para todos en /lang/

I'm glad you made a decision but beware because italian and french are very different things.

Thanks bud. Are you learning any language at the moment?

I'm doing the duolingo norwegian curse. I know it's pretty basic, but I'm hoping it will serve as an introduction. I have no resource other than that (haven't done a proper research though), but I'm doing it just because and for the fun of it. I tune norwegian stations at radio.garden during the day so I can get to relate to it.

That is good. You can always be a nuisance and nag them in their threads too for practice. That is what I do here for my languages.

They are empty consenants. If you don't understand what that means you haven't studied enough.

bump

I know they're different things but some French user in the thread last night was saying how because they're neighbouring countries it's easy for him to pick up Italian because it's just a weird version of his own language. Won't be as simple as you know Italian therefore you know French, but it would make learning it a lot easier than if you didn't know it to begin with

Trying to learn Danish but I have no friends to talk to. :(

that sucks. do you go to their threads. I know generals can be hostile.

Still dithering about what language to learn.

learn french. makes since as they are your neighbors.

>speak to native Japanese speaker for the first time while drunk at NYE party
>learn how to say Happy New Year's in Japanese
>have to explain why both Happy New Year and Happy New Year's are okay to use, but only Happy New Year's is technically correct to someone with limited english vocab
My autism has defeated me early on.

If you speak English, French has got to be one of the easiest languages to learn. Shit is like drinking water, man. Effortless.

Embrace your autism and lernu

>"contraction" 何ですか?
god I'm retarded

Coptic.

might as well speak latin too

>learning the most pleb tier classical language

okay, then ancient greek and arab then.

Russian or something Asian senpai

I decided to go for Russian. Even though It's a hard language to learn, there are a lot of native speakers out there and since most Russians do not speak English, there are a lot of good stuff translated to the language, so I'll probably won't get bored looking for entertainment.
I hope you figure it out, user.

Any frenchbros know where I can get some french dubbed anime? Naruto and the like?

Feel like rewatching some shitty shows from my youth in french could be of value.

Yeah i am indecisive between Russian and Chinese.

I dislike the Russian language but find the history, politics, country fascinating.

Chinese i find the language fascinating but have no interest in the country, people, history etc

jel imas telegram? hocu te dodati u telegram exyu grupu (nije autisticna kao /exyu/ na Sup Forumsu, ne brini se)

Anyone else learning german? What resources did you use to begin with? I've heard that assimil is pretty good.

You should take the language you love

Are you from Parana ?
Type on Google:
[Your anime] vf streaming

Try iTalki I've been heard this on every language video but never try it

for the last years, warez scene has been decimated, lots of tracker and ddl site are gone. There isn"t much source for french dubbed anime, Check t411 and youtube.

youtube.com/watch?v=9omaLUaQ4yY