Alright guys. Nuclear power, yay, or nay? Nuclear chemist here

Alright guys. Nuclear power, yay, or nay? Nuclear chemist here.

Other urls found in this thread:

mining.com/web/gear-up-for-a-violent-uranium-price-spike-cantor-fitzgeralds-rob-chang/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Do you think that uranium prices will spike in the next 2-5 years?

yay

I don't think so. There is quite a bit of Uranium, with more than enough capability to enrich it, if needed.

yay, but only in places which don't get hit by tsunamis and earthquakes. Australia for example

mining.com/web/gear-up-for-a-violent-uranium-price-spike-cantor-fitzgeralds-rob-chang/

Just curious to see what someone in the industry has to say. I've had a small amount in Uranium indexes for quite a while and contemplating holding on to them to see if a rise in value truly comes to fruition.

Good point. How about the middle of the US, west of tornado alley?

From what I've been told we are in no shortage of Uranium. You should always do your own research though, I don't know what kind of political garbage they feed us sometimes.

Yay.

Seems fine to me. Good spots

Fusion is where it's at. Can you give us insight on why progress has been so dentrimentally slow in that department? What's missing?

Do you ever see nuclear power overtaking coal and if so when?

I agree. Fusion is very difficult. There are several different types, with only a few being really efficient, with low maintenance costs.The more efficient types are at much higher temperatures, generally. Which, of course takes much more energy to maintain.

Not OP, but from what I gather, nuclear power is still unpopular because the general population is apprehensive about it. They think of the Fukushima incident and automatically assume nuclear power is an extremely volatile method of powering the grids.

Absolutely. Not for about 70-100 years though, when we really start using all of that bullshit up, and start seeing drastic effects of global warming.

When China stops existing, I guess.

You are absolutely correct. I work in Japan right now(am OP btw),and the Japanese public hates nuclear power, even though it has so many advantages.

Interestingly enough, China is building several new reactors. They're currently undergoing a 5-year plan starting this year until 2020 to approve construction of 8 new reactors a year.

I love the idea of nuclear energy. But i feel like we need to move towards home energy rather then rely on massive grids. Too costly to maintain. We need to look at building much smaller scale reactors. Perhaps enough to power small towns

No, a desert region like nevada, new mexico, arizona

My view is emulate the french, standardize ONE reactor design class, maybe even put under control of DOD/gov't. Give US Navy Nuc's a job after they leave the military

Ironically. I am a Navy Nuclear chemist currently. I'm also from New Mexico, which would be a great place. OP btw.

I had a feeling you might be in the Navy. You in Sasebo?

And at least you have valuable work experience that directly translate into the private sector.

I spent my 4 as an infantryman and my prospects for work were bleak when I got out.

I'm in Yokosuka. Only port in Japan with nuclear powered vessels. I wanted to be a ranger before I joined but my parents would let me(was 17), due to that exact fact.

States spends 65% of its money on bombing third world countries. Least they could do is give u a job guarding nuclear sites. I mean thats where the muslims will strike next right?

No, former civil servant. Used to certify welders to NAVSEA 250-1500-1 other than that..

I loved Yokosuka. Had a great time when I was there a few years ago for a UDP.

Nuclear power is awesome.
We discovered this great power and should harness it.
Most people who are against it have no idea how it actually works or what it is about. They've just been told its 'evil'.

Really? I hate it. Then again I don't like Asian chicks..

What else are we going to do with it? That shit doesn't have a pause button, so either we let it burn itself out in the ground and ocean, or we can profit from it and choose where we want the waste.

How can anyone be against a one shot energy source that gives us the opportunity to sequester dangerous matter away from the general public?