How does one get a career job...

How does one get a career job? It seems every one of my peers with a career job got it by knowing someone who knows someone, or something similar.

I've thrown out resumes everywhere, and the only places calling me back are $7 an hour junk jobs and the odd warehouse job. I have a stellar academic record and a stack of IT certifications. My work history is primarily said junk jobs because that's all I've been able to get. I'm on the east coast near D.C. so there should be plenty of work, even if I have to commute. I'm completely lost on if I'm missing out on something. I can't post my resume here for obvious reasons, but I've had professional help putting it together. Assuming the resume is nice and professional what is the process for getting ones foot in the door?

Suck a cock!

wew lad

Checked

All employers ask for is exp

what if you dont have any

Fuck off wagecuck

You're doing gods work son, keep it up

And your degree is basically worthless once u have 5 years + exp

don't bother op just get a gun and do what all angry Amerifats do

this

aside from the experience demonstratable with my certs and hobbies I don't have any workplace experience.

This

Degrees aren't worth piss

>says the one 2 years into a BA degree course

I like paying my bills, and I'd like to have money left over to actually do something I want to do. As I am now I'm lucky to be able to go to McDonalds once a month for dollar menu. I'm on a ramen and water budget.

>ANSWER THIS OP OR YOUR MOM WILL DIE IN HER SLEEP TONIGHT!
Did you get any works exirience in college from internships or summer placements? Usually people land jobs from stuff like that, I did.

a degree pretty prettyuch becomes worthless after 5 years of experience at a professional job. I have friend who is an industrial engineer and works at a manufacturering plant. She has no school degree but had 4 years of experience working as a supervisor in a bass pro shops before she got hired

Intern or suck cock, or maybe both.

BA? Business analyst?

I am not op. I was telling op tjat if he wants a professional job, he's gonna need to start getting some experience at internships

I never landed any internships. I was just kind of passed over for them typically. I mean I'd apply, but I never got one.

How old are you? And what are you educated it? I can tell you that if you're under 25, yeah it's really about who you know. Bc at that age, you don't know enough to be paid any more than shit jobs pay people that age, regardless of whether you have a degree or not. When I was 23-26 or so, 15 years ago, I made like 15/hr out of tech school (devry) . I took me til I was about 30 before I was making about twice that. Same job. It just took time. Thing about you young people is you get out of school and you think these high paying jobs are waiting for you and it's just not the case bro. The only way to get enough work experience to earn a decent job is to work shitty jobs. That's just how it is, unless you know someone who knows someone.

East coast must suck then. More IT jobs than qualified people here in the Midwest. 2 year networking degree, Microsoft and Cisco certs and easy $60k/year with full benefits BEFORE I EVEN GRADUATED, I was already working full time my last technical week of class. The key thing here is I did IT work or the school so had experience. No internship? Then you better nail the interview and have great business savvy and a corporate attitude. Cause if you have certs and no internship than as a hiring manager I just see a lazy neet who doesn't deserve the job. Also what certs? Don't say comptia shit like A+ or Network+ because that just means you can do $12 tech support which pajeet can do for cheaper

Bro I'm 25 and make 60k/year and I did so right out of college. It's not just who you know it's how you market yourself and your skill set to the company, you havr to be more than an IT person it helps if you have soft skills and business skills and fucking charisma ...which seems to be severely lacking it most "it" people

I get ignored when I apply for internships. Should I just be pushy as all hell? I typically call back after 3 days, then again 4 or 5 days later. Every time I call back the second time I get the whole "Good luck elsewhere" stuff.

I'm 30 this week. This is a problem I've had for a long time. I'm the only person in my peer group that's living in a studio apt barely paying rent, and driving the car I was given when I turned 16. All of my friends have their own homes and are driving new cars. We're all within 2-3 years of eachother, and a few of the friends I met in the classes I took, but they always tell me that they can't help me out if I bring it up. I don't all that often, but every now and then it kills me.

MTA, MCSA, can't afford to work on the MCSE stuff. I've got the comptia A+ and network+, and a couple other comptia certs... I've also got a CCNA. I was going to work on more of the cisco stuff, but my money is too tight.

Most people I meet seem to like me, and I feel pretty confident talking to people. I might not be the most charismatic man alive, but I'm not a weeb corner-dweller that breathes all heavily and calls everyone bakas for disliking my favorite chinese cartoon.

bachelors?

Consider a job in sales, can make good money and easy to get into most jobs.

Mainly its about your who you know, and less about what you know in the first instance. Don't let your age get the better of you, I currently consider myself to be relatively successful, although far from where I want to be, it's all about climbing the ladder.

TLDR Keep speaking to lots of people and don't give up hope

dude you have fucking shit advice. thanks anyways

That explains it

I've considered sales. Never had an opportunity to try it though, except in a retail environment.

Is there a remedy to this, or am I permafucked because I was passed over when I needed it most?

Nepotism is rampant. Networking is your key skill. I'm disinclined to believe ANYONE gets a job by simply mailing a resume these days.

Involves a lot of throwing money away to go to things tangientially related to what you do to durdle about and waste time trying to talk to strangers with absolutely zero guarantee it's gonna provide returns. If there's stuff going on in your community, engage with it, get to know who's in your area, if you're willing to go to church things there's a good chance of meeting useful people. I've gotten some freelance jobs this way. Nothing sustainible though, I'm still waiter-ing it up for a living and treating my career choice like a hobby.

It's supposed to catch traction and start snowballing eventually. So I'm told. My girlfriend has managed to at least get to the point where she's able to network on film shoots that actually pay her now. But a lot of them are self absorbed pricks that het butthurt and start talking shit about you to valuable connectiins when you don't keep your schedule open for them after weeks of nothing. Fucking show business I guess.

It sucks, people tell you everything you're doing wrong, you make the changes they suggest, and you get nothing out of it. My field (game dev) I've temporarily given up on applying to companies and just started making a game in my spare time. Feels more productive actually having something to show for the time you put in. At the very least I'm adding to my resume and might have something to show for it instead of a big blank space in my employment history doing McJobs.

>How does one get a career job? It seems every one of my peers with a career job got it by knowing someone who knows someone, or something similar.

Welcome in Europe!

Try getting in one of those consultancy jobs. They have great career opportunities and seem to take on a lot of people. At least where I live in Belgium.

That's why you should do some coops/internships while you're working on your degree. They're less strict on experience with that, and it GETS you the experience you need. Plus it's possible one of the companies you do a coop/internship for will bring you on full time after you graduate. That's what happened with me. I'm a $70k/yr software developer and started at a coop prior to graduation.