What's your favourite metal Sup Forums? I go for copper, since its superior conductance. Right...

What's your favourite metal Sup Forums? I go for copper, since its superior conductance. Right, it's overwhelmed by silver, but on the other hand, its not nearly as expensive. You could buy tons of precious copper instead of some nigger silver.

Silicon allows for memes

Dubs confirm best metal

Steel is best metal.

This, picture very related, diamond

bismuth is pretty cool. diamagnetism is pretty nifty

Diamond, it's the hardest metal because one gramme of it weighs 15 grammes.

Because Diamond is heavier then metals.

graphene of course

a one layer thick graphene katana could slice through the empire state building

Japanese steel, folded over 6 million times

pic related, its me

> Diamond, it's the hardest metal because one gramme of it weighs 15 grammes.

Told ya, thanks user

Steel is not an metalic element
My favourite metal is aluminium, superior weight, no corosion, best weight/conductivity ratio

wat
>also, gold
>cuz jew

>gramme

Stop spelling like a fucktard

OP asked for metal not metalic element.

thrash or death

>conductance
you mean conductivity

HAH

a graphene katana would be 1000x lighter and 1,000,000,000,000x sharper

good luck even getting into a fighting stance before one swing from me and your limbs are sliced off, plus the tree 100 feet behind you

graphene is the future

graphene swords could potentially cut all the way down to the iron core in the earth, they are that sharp

diamond isnt a metal

Actually it's electrivity.

Both are synonyms.

Diamond isn't a metal

no, there is a difference
conductance takes size and shape of an object into account
conductivity is the intrinsic property of the material itself

Iridium
I win fags

Mithril duh

Shut George Soros, always trying to keep the price of silver down. Hey these pretzels are making me thirsty!

Thulium.

Inconel is the most base metal.

BLACK METAL

Seems you're right. I meant Conductance as short version of »specific conductance« which is in fact the intrinsic property.

r/explainlikeimfive
ELI5: If I made a sword out of graphene, what would it be like?
u/M-A-T-T-M-A-N604d
How well would it work?

Best
Post is archived
Sand_Trout • 604d
Graphene doesn't have the rigidity that would be necessary to form a proper blade/edge on its own.

You would need some sort of structural additive (see composites similar to carbon fiber), which is basically a glue, to give it enough rigidity, while the graphene itself would not contribute a lot of useful characteristics.

In short, not very well.

M-A-T-T-M-A-N • 604d
What about surrounding the blade with graphene? How sharp can it be?

Sand_Trout • 604d
Graphene wouldn't aid sharpness in the least, especially in that situation. It has great tensile (stretch) strength, but because it's flat sheets of atoms, it's flimsy as all hell, which makes is bad for forming an edge.For a good (hard) edge, you need a material that has a more 3D crystal structure. Carbon-wise, Diamond would be more suitable, but it's generally considered too brittle to use a single piece over the length of a sword blade, which needs to be able to flex in order to survive impact, and too much of a pain in the ass to embed smaller diamonds along the length of the edge, especially when they'll be knocked off in rough use.