/comp/ - Composition General

"If a composer could say what he had to say in words he would not bother trying to say it in music." - Gustav Mahler

Let's try this again edition.

prev:

An experiment in a pen-and-paper composing general, made for all the theory autists

Post with the intent on discussing composition. And remember, this is NOT /classical/. Any music, such as jazz, is acceptable.

Post clyps and accompanying notation so we can accurately critique your composing from a theory perspective

THEORY
>Fux's Counterpoint
opus28.co.uk/Fux_Gradus.pdf

>Orchestration (Rimsky-Korsakov)
northernsounds.com/forum/forumdisplay.php/77-Principles-of-Orchestration

>Teoria - Music Theory General Guides/Articles/Excercises
teoria.com/index.php

>Arnold Schoenberg's "Fundamentals of Music Composition"
monoskop.org/images/d/da/Schoenberg_Arnold_Fundamentals_of_Musical_Composition_no_OCR.pdf

>20th century music by Stefan Kostka
dmu.uem.br/aulas/analise/Kostka_MaterialsTechniquesXXCenturyMusic.pdf

>Jazz harmony (from the course at Berklee)
davidvaldez.blogspot.com/2006/04/berklee-jazz-harmony-1-4.html

PRACTICAL APPLICATIONS

>Basic composing
youtube.com/watch?v=hWbH1bhQZSw

>Free Notation Software
musescore.org/

IMPROVISATION

>Fake books for jazz and blues soloing
drive.google.com/folderview?id=0BzW9o5O35hQzMzA0ZmI0MWEtZGFmNi00OTQ0LWI2MjMtOWUyNzgyNmUzNzNm&usp=drive_web&ddrp=1&hl=en#

STUFF /COMP/ DOES

>the /comp/ YouTube channel
youtube.com/channel/UCqUEaKts92UIstFjrz9BfcA

>the /comp/ challenge
[email protected]

>/comp/ Google Drive folder
drive.google.com/drive/u/1/folders/0B8L6-YOBO_NIOXk1OXRsTDlWMHc

Other urls found in this thread:

clyp.it/ypavw2uh
youtube.com/user/havic5
youtube.com/watch?v=MIDuZq7RVAM
twitter.com/AnonBabble

She's gorgeous. Damnit.

bump

was it just a fluke?

Her top looks weird as fuck. I guess it's padding but it looks like she has a fucking armor on, or her tits are malformed.

>tfw suddenly get surge of music in my head
>Start writing it down
>It's ok
>While writing it down, forget the rest of the music in your head
>The "zone" goes away
What can I do, bros?

clyp.it/ypavw2uh

I wrote this in a couple of minutes while fucking around, and I like the rough melodic idea. The accompaniment and the chord progression has not being considered at all, as you can see, it's just a melody so far.

I think the top is a bit too tight fit for her, it doesn't look as bad in her other pics but she does have a decent rack

She aged like shit and had a breast reduction

what do you guys think of this Pseud?

youtube.com/user/havic5

he's a fuckin idiot

Its like Poly started a Youtube channel

Kys

Well, it was fun while it lasted. See you in a month guys, I hope I can finish my piece by then.

>Any books or compositions on quartal/quintal harmony?
Thanks.

>tfw the name of the piece takes you hours itself

Okay, so the /comp/ threads are dying, last one lasted only a few hours.

Saw some videos. Very mediocre, but I'm fairly knowledgeable about music. I saw why major is happy and a walking bass video, they were decent but had a bit too much lolrandum leafy shit that's a bit out of place

I've seen worse, there's a counterpoint series somewhere by learning music with Ray and it's bad. Very obvious ""Ray"" literally just learned counterpoint and did a series.

Considering how much piston or kennan or whoever can write about counterpoint, you'd think a contemporary YouTuber would research that and write about it. Nope. Just ""Ray"" and artofcounterpoint, who's actually decent but didn't really go in-depth.

Most other music theory channels are literally first or second year shit exclusively. Holy fuck how many what's a major chord and what's a minor chord videos do we need?

Music theory is shit because everyone thinks music theory is shit and now there's nothing but shit.

Is there any electronic music that would be be close to classical?

>tfw settle on "Largo"

Undoubtedly.
Here's something from Einstein on the Beach by Philip Glass.
youtube.com/watch?v=MIDuZq7RVAM
No doubt there's something more conventionally "electronic music" by a classical composer, but that's the one that comes to mind right now.

>listening to this on a stereo speaker for the first time
holy shit

Anyone know any good ear training resources since being able to estimate wat things should sound like is problematic.

Check the comp youtube channels.
One user once did entire ear training lesson, I think it should be there. If not I should have link somewhere.

How do I effectively write for woodwind in an orchestra? Every time I try I end up either writing flute or oboe solos.

>tfw everything sounds too happy or too sad

bump

RIP /comp/ & /prod/

why is breast reduction a thing

>write a 2 measure melody
>pass it around as a solo to first chair flute, oboe, clarinet
>make sure the orchestra is either not playing or playing at piano

if you want to have them play the melody at forte or higher you will need to have the entire woodwin section play in unison or else they wont be heard