/daily/ - anarchy edition

The point of these threads is to encourage people to look for new and interesting music. We do this by listening to and ideally discussing albums we've never heard before. Many of us already listen to new music daily, these people are in it to venture "out of their comfort zone" by listening to albums they otherwise wouldn't have, or just to have a good time.

neverendingchartrendering.org/
>come here to make charts and do topster-related stuff but better

plug.dj/sdc-room-3-the-sequel
>please actually use plug this time

dailymu-sic.weebly.com/
>come here for op pics, charts, listenalongs, misc. stuff. If you're new this is a good place to start

discord.gg/s5Rv7zJ
>talk shit

Previously, on /daily/: Fuck music.

Other urls found in this thread:

soundcloud.com/anders-meisenheimer/memphis
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/john_handy/recorded_live_at_the_monterey_jazz_festival/
youtube.com/watch?v=yntbXx0A2wM
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>two dedthreds in a row
What heckery is this?

Get your shit together boys.

Let it die.

Never.

>do NBMMN
>been creating chart of all ratings
>really like doing this, it's like rym but a bit more indepth
>go to thread to see if that's what you guys do
>it's dead
damn, that's sad, I was having a lot of fun too.

Dead, but yes, we do that usually.
What are the 10s?

Sigh - Scorn Defeat
The Ruins of Beverast - Rain Upon the Impure
Todesstoß - Hirngemeer

in-depth in what way?

A lot more visual, larger scope. It's easier to see the exact distribution of my recent ratings, rather than just seeing my overall rating distribution change slightly. Also it just looks cooler imo.

oh, in that way

>/daily/ died after 56 posts
woah

what happened

>Mineral - Endserenading
This has some cool mathy rhythmic stuff and the instrumentals overall were enjoyable to listen to, but every song started to sound the same towards the end. There weren't enough impact moments in my opinion and the album overall tended to stay at one energy level. I liked most of the lyrical stuff but again by the end it was starting to wear down on me. blue triangle/10

when you realize rodriguez and natkingcole are the same person

stop dying

i love that album to death, but i totally what you're saying.

explain

third threads the charm right?
do not go gentle into that good night boys

you both love o'rourke and gave bad timing and eureka 10s

fair enough, but that's p common around here.

and rod's listened to a lot more o'rourke than me.

this is true but i'm a post-internet fuckboy on top of that.
nice trips.

working on that. currently through about his first 70, excluding ones i can't physically find downloads for.

i've gotta go through his discog in its entirety, it's probably varied enough to keep me interested.

it is. it gets pretty ambienty in his more recent years, which is no issue for me, but keep that in mind. it's really rewarding.

if you don't love o'rourke get outta my face

>>/daily/ died after 56 posts
>woah
>what happened
it's finals soon for us collegebois

co, I think you predicted my thoughts on both these albums, so you win big!

Nara Leão - Dez anos depois (1971)
>bossa nova, MPB

There's nothing incredibly special about this album, really. It's a bossa nova standards album, to put it simply. Pieces by Jobim, Buarque, Powell, and de Moraes have all been performed by their respective writers before, but Leão's performances inject new life into every single one of them. Leão's vocals are incredible, they're smooth and beautiful but passionate and lively, which is something I could say about the instrumentation as well. The first LP is totally acoustic, which allows Leão's vocals to flourish while still putting a lot of emphasis on the beautiful, unobtrusive guitar work. The second LP is a lot fuller, with pianos and drums and string sections abound, losing a lot of the intimacy of the first LP but making up for that with sheer enjoyability. I do prefer the first LP by a pretty decent amount, but put together as a whole this is a wonderful album, through and through.

3.5-

Stan Getz & João Gilberto featuring Antônio Carlos Jobim - Getz / Gilberto (1964)
>bossa nova, jazz

It's literally all about "The Girl From Ipanema". It's one of the most recorded songs in history for a pretty good reason, the melody is beautiful and it's so effervescently chill and atmospheric, boasting an incredible vocal performance from Astrud Gilberto. The rest is just glorified background music. Occasionally João Gilberto has a pretty vocal part, Jobim's piano work definitely adds a decent bit, and there's obviously nothing really /bad/ about it, but Getz seems to exist only to add to the chesse factor, which sucks because he's an incredible saxophonist, but his presence here is just really poor. It's a big injustice that /this/ is the #1 bossa nova album on RYM.

2.0+

before anything, i've gotta listen to happy days, i've been interested in that for years but I've never given it an actual listen.

you have your priorities decently well in line.

dis

>2.0+ for Getz/Gilberto
Fish BTFO

update
yes this is stil happening

>Fish BTFO
we're both uncle meat/blind willie johnson/minor threat fanboys, it's all good.

aaaaa i wanna see what you think of wu-tang and washington phillips

Phil Ochs - I Ain't Marching Anymore (1965)
>contemporary folk, singer/songwriter

Lyrically, it's an absolutely perfect album. Ochs' lyrics are funny, witty, complex, beautiful, and above all, wonderfully insightful. He uses so many different metaphors to reference unrest and wrongdoings without ever blatantly shouting out his point, and it's wonderful. The vocals are pretty great as well, very passionate and he sings his songs so naturally, there's no pretention involved. No matter how great the lyrics and the delivery of the lyrics are, it gets stale. The chord progressions are basic, and the traditional songs lack the conviction and passion Ochs delivers so effortlessly on his original songs. Ochs' lyrics with a better songwriter would be incredible, but as it stands we're left with a spotty, overlong album with some incredible lyrics and a lot of passion. Also, the title track is fucking /amazing/.

2.5+

Been super busy, but I'll get back to posting reviews soon hopefully. Don't want daily to keep dying

Either that or we start rym-tier shitposting 24/7

that's a nice lemon :)

bamp

>score above a 3
APOCALYPSE

Don't let your dislike of Getz/Gilberto discourage you from trying more of their material, especially João Gilberto, who has some pretty amazing stuff.

Let's try the second one

Fuck off embryo

*dabs*

I choose death

Daily didn't always hit 350 posts. It's died early many times, and long hours between threads used to be common.
Call what's happening lately a return to normalcy ( or at least, 2014 normalcy)

I like that I can keep up now

I'm listening to Oxbow now, this shit is good, why didnt I listen him before?

>I like that I can keep up now
weak

Good night /daily/

I like that the pig:thread ratio has increased

I'm probably gonna give it a relisten cause there were parts that i thought were really good. It's just overall nothing stood out to me on the first listen.

Hey sicc painting my guy. Also delete /daily/, ban /daily/ posters.

Nice numbers.

Check it - soundcloud.com/anders-meisenheimer/memphis

i do love o'rourke

die pls

Yeah, I like Gilberto's first album, and I wanna check out his s/t.

Listen to Zounds.

You're welcome.

Am considering gettin' back for December. Haven't been listening to much new music recently.

Rec me good stuff.

into the backlog it goes

I would but I only listen to bad music

>I would but I only listen to bad music
damn

>I would but I only listen to bad music

You must have a very big culture then 'amrite

Thanks esdee

Would you buy music?

have and will

nice
check out teitanblood, svartidauði and dodsengel

This is going to be my new chart, maybe I'll even try to write some reviews. Gotta finish my current one first though.

goodshit.txt

:)
i like this chart :)

i meant this btw wew

Cool thx, I'll find out I guess.

Nicolas Collins is pretty cool

I live in shame

look I actually continued something I was doing for /daily/

so yeah it took me a while because I fucking suck but I finally got back to this and triangle /trad/vances

Vinter and triangle need to send me recs sometime

thanks

ah
Glorified background music is a p harsh way to put it but I guess yeah that album is kinda overrated
if u diss Keith Jarrett or Nicolas Collins I'll beat u up

post somewhat mediocre but pleasant albums

>daily

so you're implying you care?

Only ironically so I can gain attention on the internet.

Most music desu

This was my most listened-to album last year. I might call it "pretty good"

most music is just mediocre

thats a hella good example

The Dbs - Stands for Decibelles
MEDIOCRE

Autolux - Future Perfect
SO MEDIOCRE IT BECOMES KINDA SHITE

Swell Maps - A Trip to Marinville
I ENJOYED THIS MORE BUT IT'S STILL A BIT MEDIOCRE, THE JAMS WERE THE BEST BITS

Bruce Springsteen - The River
I QUITE LIKED A COUPLE OF THE SONGS BUT CANNOT FORGIVE FILLER, IT DOES NOT NEED TO BE A DOUBLE ALBUM, I FEEL IT IS RESOLVED AFTER THE RIVER

Steve Roach - Structures From Silence
Quite liked it, knocked off work today and fell right to sleep whilst listening to this, it was the best two hours of uninterrupted sleep I've had in quite some time

John Coltrane - OLE!
Quite good, really fun to listen to, I think Violins in Jazz is my secret music fetish

>I think Violins in Jazz is my secret music fetish
It's arco bass you uncultured swine.

>I think Violins in Jazz is my secret music fetish
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/john_handy/recorded_live_at_the_monterey_jazz_festival/

So it is

(btw I was talking 10 minutes into the first track)

>violins

Def do this though, the electric violin is unreal.

nice long computer break to spend time with family, but know we're back to using the internet to justify tastes in music

Joan Baez - s/t

Really powerful yet relaxing piece of folk from the genre's most rebellious period. The album consists solely of interpretations of classic folk tunes, enhanced by Baez's strong voice. The guitar work is effective, but sort of takes a backseat to Baez's singing. When it's all put together, the songs on this album demand attention. Baez sings from low to very high volumes, and the passion in her voice is quite apparent and very rewarding to hear.. The biggest flaw this album has is it's lack of variety, and this starts to become increasingly apparent as the album winds down. I gave this three listens, and on the third, I had trouble finishing it and chose to put something else on. There just isn't much to discover on a deep level. However, it's surface value is a damn good piece of folk.

GOOD.

it me

All jazz

that bass solo towards the 5 minute mark is blowing my fucking mind

This is correct

What do you think you're doing?

'Recent' listens.

I don't think.

That explains a lot actually.

youtube.com/watch?v=yntbXx0A2wM

This was a good day, lovely recs Thomas, thanks!
>Big Ups - Before a Million Universes
Slint can't be unheard here, especially the vocals almost seem identical. They try to put the focus in the climatic structures, there's more than one 'I miss you' style imitation, unfotunately not one with the same impact Slint can deliver. Overall the structures seem less thought-through and more impulsive, it's much closer to Tweez era Slint.
But reducing it to a Slint copy would be unfair, it definitely has its own charme, with its clear modern post-hardcore influences and a in parts surprisingly unique guitar style. It's incredible formulaic, but I won't complain as long as the formula works.
>The KVB - Of Desire
Absolutely gorgeous ethereal, shoegazy post-punk, all with a lovely synthwave retrostyle layer beneath, wonderfully suitable vocal delivery
>Nicolas Jaar - Sirens
Except it has a few very good parts and the vocals are especially captivating, but overall not that interesting, same feeling I have for Space Is Only Noise

Does /daily/ like jazz or not? Do any of you like jazz beyond RYM avant-teen core stuff?

O amor, o sorriso e a flor is good as well. His first s/t is okay, but his 2nd is usually said to be the better of the two, which I like more.

pan deltron already eeeeeeeee

daily pretends to like jazz too much in a way that's non-constructive imo.

When was the last time you saw someone give a jazz album that was made before 1980 below a 6?

I feel like you can pretty accurately guess what rating any given daily poster will give a jazz album, just based on obscurity, accessibility, and they year it came out.

Why would I listen to bad jazz?

Guess my score (1966)

>When was the last time you saw someone give a jazz album that was made before 1980 below a 6?
I'm no jazz buff or anything, but I'm not eager to listen to jazz from that era that isn't acclaimed.
Chances are if I'm listening to jazz from that era, it's a good album.

>When was the last time you saw someone give a jazz album that was made before 1980 below a 6?

In this thread

I think that's the point though. I think people too easily give anything from that era a pass despite liking it or not and thus their opinion is meaningless to me. It just seems very superficial to me.

nat isn't really a jazzhead though, and he rarely gives anything above a 3.0+

Does jazzthreadguy count?

I meant in /daily/, but that's a pretty good point actually.

If someone is willing to give a poor score to an album from even their absolute favorite genre, it shows an ability to critically evaluate instead of blatant fanboyism.