Is Pop punk dead ?

I want to start a band but I really can't decide on which direction/genre to go between those 2:

Pop punk/ pop rock like
> Paramore - Riot
> Paramore - Self titled

Heavier pop rock/alt rock borderline metal like
> bring me the horizon - That's the spirit
> bring me the horizon - Sempiternal

What style do you think has the most potential in at the moment? I basically really like Paramore and the new stuff by BMTH but I just can't decide on which way to go between those two.
I feel like paramore-like pop rock is becoming irrelevant and people are tired of it

Spontaneously switch between styles mid-song like a real pro.

protip:
good music never becomes irrelevant

You shouldn't start a band if your main focus is "what will make the most money and get me the most attention"

just become a producer and make crappy EDM

You got me wrong, I'm not thinking about money
I just wonder which one of 2 styles people would enjoy listening to the most as I really like both of them anyway.
We plan on playing at our college rock shows so playing something relevant and contemporary would be best

noise rock

if you are in college, neither of those genre are relevant

Stop looking at shit music for inspiration

If you want to do pop punk go in a Buzzcocks or early Green Day direction

If you really want to catch people's eyes you should start a japanese new wave revival band.

>if you are in college, neither of those genre are relevant
I know but at least which one of them will not make us look like weirdos that play shit no one cares about, cause I don't enjoy anything that's relevant to millennials right now so I gotta find a compromise

>early Green Day direction
Dude I'm not gonna play some old punk rock, NOFX, Offspring, etc, no one listens to this anymore including me

Do a mixture of both, maybe it'll create a new interesting sound

Do the Bring Me The Horizon one but try to add your own dash of originality.

Oh thanks user, dubs don't lie.
Why I haven't thought about this before?

God I hope it is

both of them will make you look like your stuck in middle school unless you make it "artsy"

>punk rock
>NOFX
>the Offspring
Are those seriously the first bands you think of when you hear "punk"? What punk have you listened to?
Also, pop punk has been copy-paste since late 90s/early 2k and it's dropping off pretty hard. If you want to succeed, try something new from what you're familiar with, experiment. If you want to make some easy pop punk jams or radio rock, I don't think you'll be getting the results you want.

>If you want to succeed, try something new from what you're familiar with, experiment
Alright thanks

>f you want to make some easy pop punk jams or radio rock, I don't think you'll be getting the results you want.
People don't listen to this anymore, that's what you mean? Not surprising considering it's been the same shit over and over again for the past 15 years as you said

Pop punk is for those who want to be in the punk/hardcore but are upper class, who cry when they get the wrong iPhone and only have white friends who wear polos a lot.

do either one, but just make sure you put as much reverb as possible on literally everything. guitars, vocals, etc. then you'll be seen as interesting and original

>put as much reverb as possible on literally everything. guitars, vocals, etc.
I already know about this trick, also some delay on top of that is even better

Make the music you want to hear. The way you're approaching things makes me think you guys are destined to suck dick. People who are in good bands don't go into it thinking as much as you are.

people like jeff rosenstock and snowing

Thanks guys for your help, Sup Forums is not my main board, I'm new here but you guys can actually be helpful

let me give you some advice. I was in a Pop Punk band for two years and the path you take is pretty linear. Alot of bands are super conservative since the fanbase doesnt really stray from many other genres of music. Its always Green Day to MCR to Paramore to Story So Far and whatevers hot now. Alot of people wont appreciate too much originality and want something familiar unless its really good like Turnovers change or Front Bottoms (while keeping that B182 Tom vocal style)

Did you already play something? I don't think it's that bad to make a plan. If you plan on sounding like BMTH you'll of course sound different because you're not them so you'll still have your own sound. And I don't think stuff like Green Day or the bands you mentioned are unpopular. It's a dated sound but people still enjoy it if only just for nostalgia. But you can still bring something new to that sound. Just start playing and you'll hear what you are like

Yeah, this guy is right. If you do pop punk you you'll have to be conservative revival band. With metalcore people are more open to experimentation, just look at BMTHs new album. What is your vocalist like?