What does Sup Forums think of Pantera?

What does Sup Forums think of Pantera?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=DXQXCH-vedo
blabbermouth.net/news/lars-ulrich-is-to-blame-for-lack-of-bass-on-metallicas-and-justice-for-all-album-mixing-engineer/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Walk on home, boy

That band is singlehandedly responsible for the horror that was nu metal.

guitar hero was fun

Do you blame Cobain for Nickelback?

love it

I'm not really convinced that they're actually very good, at all- but i still enjoy listening to them.

It's confusing.

buttmetal extraordinaire

Their main innovations were the drum and guitar sound both of which for the early 90s were quite unique and innovative. It used to be debated just how the fuck Vinnie Paul got that drum sound? Did he tape coins to his kick drums? Use some weird-ass miking technique? Toms without the bottom heads? Who knows? Dimebag's crunchy guitar tone with the gain all the way up, no middle range, and high low end almost drowning out the bass were also quite different for that time. Though of course one could argue that And Justice For All did similar tricks a few years earlier.

Also, Dime used digital amps which were somewhat looked down upon by mmmuh tube purists. This helped make their sound tighter as well.

The problem, as always, were the many cheap imitators who didn't understand Pantera's sound, how it worked, or the fact that the band were veteran musicians who'd spent years perfecting their sound and also that the Abbott brothers came from a production background.

>Though of course one could argue that And Justice For All did similar tricks a few years earlier

Lars is a faggot though; whenever he gets his way on drum sounds, the results aren't pretty.

Eventually innovation stopped and bands just copycatted Pantera while adding no new ideas of their own.

My most played band according to Last.fm, so I would say they are pretty fucking awesome

Floods is a Sup Forumssterpiece.

The solo in This Love is earth-staggering.

>also that the Abbott brothers came from a production background.
should've started their own band... oh wait

Metal was still innovating and growing in 1994-2004. During those 10 years, the record industry was still healthy, profitable, and albums could sell 1,000,000+ copies. Bands had plenty of money to play around with and the option to still record on analog tape. This began to change in the late 2000s as digital music progressively ate away at record sales, in addition computer tools had become good enough that it was possible to produce a professional-sounding album at home.

the great southern trendkill is about as good as mainstream 90s metal ever got. very strong record
far beyond driven has its moments as well
aside from that, i don't care much for them

WOK ON HOME BOI

Ultimate nu-male repellant

One of the first metal bands I really got into and easily the first patrician metal I got into. Before that it was Disturbed and Korn. Looking back I cringe but I was a dumb 13 year old at the time.
Anyway, fucking love em. I can still head bang to Cowboys from hell or Primal Concrete Sledge any day.

I've never liked them and have grown to hate them

What about Exhorder

The only good groove metal band

It's amazing how long Phil can stretch out the final note on some live versions of Fucking Hostile.

Decent band but Phil can go fuck himself

Example--Christgau didn't like them and dismissed them as "overrated" in one of his columns. Doesn't get more nu male than him.

They were talented. Darrell had a horrible tone but was a solid player and wrote some great solos. The drumming wasn't amazing but was good enough, bass was meh, could hardly hear it. IMO Anselmo was an amazing vocalist, very versatile and had a crazy amount of range.

Down >>>> Pantera

Hi Robb Flynn

I hate how their drums sound

SJR >>>> Down

>who the fuck are Coroner

SJR?

They had only one groove metal album though

problems?
youtube.com/watch?v=DXQXCH-vedo

FRIENDLY REMINDER THAT CHRISTGAU DOES NOT PLAY AN INSTRUMENT, HAS NEVER WRITTEN A SONG, DOES NOT KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT MUSICAL THEORY OR COMPOSITION, AND THAT HIS METHOD OF REVIEWING ALBUMS IS BASED ENTIRELY AROUND HIS EMOTIONAL REACTIONS TO THE CLICHES HE VAGUELY RECOGNIZES.

also he has personal issues he projects onto metal fans

>white male haters whose irrational resentments trumps their best interests

Yet another embarrassing Cuckgau moment in which he silently rages against his old high school tormenters.

>They were talented. Darrell had a horrible tone but

As I'd said above, his tone was "bad" by the established standards in the early 90s because of the high low end and no midrange and by using digital amps which were frowned upon, but rules are made to be broken.

idk, I was listening to VDOP and Dime's tone isn't that different from the usual one James Hetfield used, not surprising since Metallica were the biggest band on the planet back then and one of Pantera's main influences.

Yeah I know James Hetfield always scooped out his mids and AJFA had the bass turned up high enough to drown out Jason Newsted. Dimebag added several innovations of his own such as digital amps, but it is obvious that Metallica and especially Justice provided the basic blueprint for their sound, in particular the guitar tone and typewriter key drums.

I like some of their early albums.

Now, TBA followed a noticeably different path in that instead of clickety clack drums, it had a big, heavy, smooth *BOOM*BOOM*BOOM* sound because they were constantly pissed off that Motley Crue (who they hated) had such excellent, clean sound on their albums while Metallica's were always a fuzzy mess. So they hired Bob Rock to give them a sound approximating Dr. Feelgood, especially the drum sound on there.

Analogue, not digital

AJFA didn't have any bass because Lars is a cunt who told the producer to turn the bass tracks down because he wanted his drums to be heard more. Dimebags tone was doodoo compared to Metallicas because of the solid state amps and high output pickups he used but Dime was probably the only person on the planet who could make it work.

yes

should also mention
is not

RE

TARD

>Dimebags tone was doodoo compared to Metallicas because of the solid state amps and high output pickups he used but Dime was probably the only person on the planet who could make it work

Exactly. Pantera did crazy stuff that shouldn't have worked at all, but it did. The problem was the copycats all trying to sound like Dimebag without understanding how he did what he did.

Not a producer, the sound engineer. They had no producer in the studio and mixed the whole thing themselves. Lars allegedly told the sound guy to adjust the drums to get that typewriter key tone. Depending on who you ask, either that or James turning the bass on his guitar way up is what killed Jason's bass tracks.

Ironically, I bought the 20th Anniversary Edition of "Great Southern Trendkill" during Black Friday.

Easily the best of their groove years after Cowboys from Hell. VDOP and FBD are very YMMV, if you ask me.

Great Southern Trendkill is a legitimately decent album.

The others range from horrible to debatable

My bad, it was the engineer. He himself says it was Lars who told him to turn it down.

blabbermouth.net/news/lars-ulrich-is-to-blame-for-lack-of-bass-on-metallicas-and-justice-for-all-album-mixing-engineer/

Hetfield's tone was sharper sounding, it wasn't quite as flat and muffly as Dimebag's. Also RTL is the one Metallica album where James uses a bit different and more watery tone, otherwise he always used the same general sound as MOP with that crunchy scooped mid aesthetic.

Unfortunately Vinny is a dick and won't reissue the hair metal albums.

Dime peaked as a guitarist on the hair metal albums. IDK what people see in that chugga chugga proto-nu metal stuff.

Good music to lift weights to.

Phil was raised as a Catholic which explains why he has a bug up his ass about organized religion.

White trash-core
I still listen to some of their songs in the gym though

Pantera were as essential to the 90s white trash experience as Looney Toons T-shirts and WWF.

And of course Marilyn Manson.

Good question. Nothing I've heard of, but judging by your condescending meme-text they are a shitty band.

Wrong

Pantera was an influence, but the true father of nu metal is Faith No More. Pantera did inspire some truly terrible tough guy metal bands like Five finger death punch and Texas hippie coalition that only appeal directly to people with fetal alcohol syndrome.

good band, shitty fanbase

Cowboys from Hell and Vulgar Display of Power are great records. The rest were you know..(flaps hand down)

underrated

you misspelled Far Beyond Driven