youtube.com/watch?v=WHG8XNMd850
youtube.com/watch?v=MVc3Z-bG6Eo
youtube.com/watch?v=rGosqmf-740
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>implying people don't do this all the time anyway

yeah but talented people do it in a much more tasteful, subtle way

with sia and these idiots it's just a bad novelty to stand out

why not just be a ghost producer then, would be more fun desu

yeah agree, wearing a mask is straight up lazy unless the mask itself is cool or w/e - see: gwar

because they don't want idiots like you stalking them and criticizing their every move?

some people just wanna release music and get paid for it
anyway its obvious you don't make art

if they really wanted to release music anonymously they would be ghost writers
they would still get paid, and they wouldn't have to put up this dumb facade

The guy in pic related goes the post-good route.

>if they really wanted to release music anonymously they would be ghostwriters
or they could do both?
ghostwrite for other artist(which lots do)
and still release their own material
you realize when you ghostwrite not all of your ideas make it to the final project right?

There's a fine line between marketing gimmick and genuine preference of anonymity. Marshmello is clearly the former.

We are different, though.

Sia legitimately doesn't give a shit about being famous, she's been grinding for years and only got famous after being a songwriter for other artists

>some people just wanna release music and get paid for it
>anyway its obvious you don't make art

i would pay to see your art

can only imagine the bandcamp/soundcloud stuff you have going on

jesustakethewheel.bandcamp.com/releases

>pretending to be hype williams

example of it done well

I guess it's supposed to be theatrical. Entertainers have worn costumes and assumed identities for centuries. But ya, sometimes it comes off as gimmicky. This guy looks like a good example of that but deadmau5 is forever my go-to.

every knows marshmello is dotcom. its for the whole branding thing, worked good for daft punk with the helmets being iconic, same goes for deadmau5. now you got marshmello, black tiger sex machine, and bear grillz doing it too and i think its a bit silly

Marshmello did it because he needed a gimmick/branding to go with his new style of music (Which is just really lazy derivative of futurebass that overuses early Big Room synths).

He was Dotcom before he became Marshmello.

only good song he ever did was alone, never liked anything he made as dotcom desu

I mean, Golden Features looks cool but his music is boring as fuck. There are hundreds of bass house, g-house and trap producers who make much more interesting music.

bane influential

desu I don't think any of his songs are good. If you like his general "sound" there are literally hundreds of no-name futurebass producers doing the sound better, and then there's even other bigger names like Alison Wonderland who do it better.

Plus I fucking swear, Marshmello detunes all his lead synths by a quarter-step. It's grating to the ears and I don't know how nobody else hears this.

Don't be cramping people's style OP

i dont like his general sound, the reason why alone is the only song by him i like is because of the vocal chop in place of the synth. never got behind alison wonderland because im more of a guy who likes heavier edm like getter, old kill the noise, virtual riot, and all that new-age brostep shit

except porter robinson, whos my favorite artist ever desu

edm is not music

I wish flylo had kept up the captain murphy thing

It's horrible shitty generic EDM, why are we even debating this?

>Plus I fucking swear, Marshmello detunes all his lead synths by a quarter-step. It's grating to the ears and I don't know how nobody else hears this.
They are detuned a bit but that's not uncommon in EDM/electronic music. I like slight detuning personally. Aphex Twin is a great example of tasteful detuning.

not disagreeing on that. wont be long until he devolves into making big room and then fades into obscurity

Good question

>edm
Enlightened
Discussion-worthy
Music

sup rapnog

Marshmello's detuned synths are just obnoxious though, especially because it's always the lead melody.

dude its Sup Forums, EDM is like the plague here because 99% of the board has an ego larger than a solar system and insists their shitty soundcloud indie band is better than well-made, established DJs making a living making good music for patricians like you and i

designated EDM-general when?

When its like this shit like deadmau5 it's just embarrassing. I prefer an identity like telepath or infinity frequencies.

There's something creepy about it. And I love it.

Sup Forums only likes music if there's a circumcised cock on the album cover

no edm sucks because every song follows the same fucking formula using the same fucking PRESETS

this is how edm should sound like youtube.com/watch?v=WHG8XNMd850

The problem isn't even the presets. Even the ones who go crazy on sound design end up sounding similar and generic and bad because they're so uncreative sound-wise and rhythm/structure-wise.

I'd also be happy if more EDM sounded like youtube.com/watch?v=MVc3Z-bG6Eo

>I need a general for everything or the meanies will be in the same thread as me!
Fuck off

>calls deadmau5 embarrassing
>goes on to praise vaporwave

hearty keks abound

then what does the m stand for

>same fucking PRESETS
[citation needed]

guess you havent listened to good stuff and not martin garrix, tiesto, hardwell, and other god awful faggots

or kawaii kpop or edgy a e s t h e t i c

but seriously, EDM general fucking when?

found the kid i was talking about in my post. what are you salty about today? go listen to death grips or your "super chill and awesome vaporwave xD"

songs follow the same structure so that they can be mixed by a DJ you dumb slut

furthermore there are literally tens of thousands of producers making songs like the one you linked, nobody cares about them because you can't fucking dance to that.

there's ones that have a similar vibe but are actually dance-able, they are actually popular. Eprom for example.

I think he means visually. deadmau5 wears a stupid fucking giant mouse helmet and those vaporwave producers just use anonymous Japanese character names or something.

There's legitimately good vaporwave, and there are horrible meme lazy vaporwave.

The ones I listed are not.

>guess you havent listened to good stuff
[citation needed]

>songs follow the same structure so that they can be mixed by a DJ you dumb slut
This is a very lame excuse. A good DJ can mix songs with different meters and structures. All they have to do is count.

i don't mind them being faceless but... having a crowd dance facing you breaks the purpose. people should be dancing randomly, not facing a single direction. there would be more connection when people look at each other than a fucking dink on a stage.

mixed by shit djs
totalfreedom can mix anything
eprom is cool tho

isn't that why Aphex Twin started plastering his face on everything, he wanted to do the opposite of the le sekrit bleepbloop man thing

Yes. The absolute madman. (Literally. He's pretty psychotic.)

there's literally thousands of producers that sound like PC music. a bunch of them also existed before PC Music but nobody cares because pitchfork didn't write some pretentious article about them.

some of you fucking idiots should actually go exploring before commenting on a genre

maybe leave your basement and go to an actual live show

songs have to be in 4/4 to be mixed, first of all (well you could mix in a diff time signature but you'd have to stay at that time signature..)

when you're mixing, songs can be of a different "structure" ie having their phrases organized differently and the DJ won't have a problem but your super unique song structure doesn't fucking matter in a DJ set and if it's too annoying the DJ just won't bother playing your pretentious song

also as for structure on a smaller level, if your song can't be cleanly segmented in to 8 bar chunks DJ's won't play it

this doesn't just go for producer-turned DJ's, it goes for all DJ's. there are literally hundreds of thousands of DJ's out there and if you want your music to have any success as a producer you're going to want as many of them to play your songs as possible, you can't cater only to the best of the best DJ's who are constantly counting bars

most good DJ's don't actively count bars- because almost all dance music is segmented in 8 bar chunks their brain is on autopilot for that aspect of DJing, speaking as someone who DJ's after a while of counting bars you just stop doing it and learn to anticipate and predict phrase changes pretty naturally

pitchfork hates pc music
get off yer ass m8
pls post these thousands of producers sounding like pc music
cant wait m8

everyone should start copying aphex twin and not even be seen by the crowd youtube.com/watch?v=rGosqmf-740

The fact that you don't understand being an anonymous public figure makes your brand more valuable then if you were a ghost producer indicates your naivety.

but if there's a song where for example, your song structure is based on 5 bar chunks, it's going to annoy the DJ and get in the way of his mixing, it's also going to make it near impossible for him to actually blend it with most other tracks in a way that sounds not like shit

oh, and also, most people will stop dancing when your song gets played.

for real, dj's and electronic music fans don't give a fucking shit about your unique song structure or time signature or whatever other stupid fucking pretentious bullshit you're putting in your song

i don't care how creative it is, if it kills the dancefloor it's a shitty dance song

but Sup Forums doesn't know this because it doesn't leave its mothers fucking basement

No, he's just yet to give a single fuck even once in his life

> electronic music fans
define electronic

Pretentious cunt

people who like and consume electronic dance music.

this includes everyone from the stupid fucking frat bro in a neon tank, to the disgruntled berlin hipster who only listens to the most underground techno bleeps. it even includes the weird ass minimalist dickhead who listens to underground american "trap" edm.

He isn't wrong.

t. DJ and Producer.

so basically you are whining about a online music board not liking music thats supposed to be enjoyed in warehouses
kys zomby

If done well, masks can be pretty fuckin lit
>see pic related
Also, deadmau5 and daft punk both have multiple variations of their helmet designs to not become stale. Unlike this marshmello fucker who wears a bucket with some holes in it

being a good DJ is more than just your ability to competently mix tracks, what it's really about is your ability to engage with the crowd and get people dancing and enjoying themselves.

that's why drum & bass DJ's don't really get booked in clubs and such a whole lot even though they are easily the most technically skilled DJ's out there; most people don't like drum & bass and cannot dance to it, at least not outside of the circles where that stuff is popular.

so yeah, a really good DJ could mix your weird song structure. but they're not going to, because it would ruin the groove.

>warehouses

lol

edm gets enjoyed in many places bud. the best raves are in the forest anyways.

esp in 2016 your comment is so stupid, edm gets played at clubs and house parties constantly.

non-EDM dj's are also a thing. most hip hop DJ's can scratch but they do it sparingly in their sets because most people can't dance to DMC. they also aren't going to play Death Grips because everyone would leave.

how come aphex twin gits booked then?

death grips sucks
and how come you're not at one of those raves right now?
again you're whining about an issue that isn't for this board
try asking reddit

daft punk did it quite right

it not only plays into their music style, but also looks absolutely great

Where do you get booked, friendo?

I'll tell ya, I hate deadmafive a lot but one thing that's stuck with me is when he shat on DJ cunts like you. Make some tunes, play em, if people don't like it than kindly fuck off and get a real job

it's a fucking monday

aphex twin has plenty of songs that follow pretty typical song structures, but also his name attracts a different crowd than what is normally present at your typical dance music event. you can succeed making experimental music but your fanbase will not be the same and it will be significantly harder for you to gain any sort of real following.

also, if you randomly drop aphex twin in most DJ sets the club will be empty in minutes.

What if it's like Buckethead and they just make whatever the fuck they want, regardless of it selling well or not

Lol, Daft Punk prerecords their sets and pays actors to wear those suits. I'd say it's worked out pretty well indeed

Why Sup Forums browsers do this?

>muh sekret identity xDD
>i don't want people to know who i really am xDDD

honestly do not understand desu

Aphex isn't dnb (except for a handful of songs) and he's one of the most popular electronic artists.

source? this is actually quite interesting

I don't play gigs because the clubs here play top 40's and I would rather kill myself than have to fight off constant requests from annoying white girls to play Closer.

I could easily play at some of the outdoor raves here but I'd get booked for like a 6AM slot since I am a hobbyist DJ with no following.

would rather focus my effort on learning music production.

he's talking out his ass. for one, Daft Punk notoriously doesn't play sets and hasn't had a real tour since 2007.

either he's just spreading bullshit or he's an idiot and doesn't realize that their "Burning Man" DJ set was a tribute DJ set that Canadian glitch-hop Duo "The Funk Hunters" did on their own as fans.

That's the spirit. Sorry to have pulled a knife on you like that.

if you really want to know how Daft Punk did their live sets though, they just triggered samples and loops with this enormous console. It looks more impressive than it actually is, everything is quantized so they can't really fuck up.

thanks user

still waiting on that faggot to show me thousands of producers making tunes like pc music/sophie

only maximum fucking plebs think that DNB is anything other than the absolute most fun music genre to dance to

>buying into this propaganda

Daft Punk are the most puffed up cunts on the planet

show me where the robot touched you, user

this is a great movie

Porter fan here
Favorite track? Also, Electro/Complextro Porter or Synthpop Porter?

Oh also, Virtual Riot is my shit. He's so productive too, he release so much stuff. Kill the Noise is awesome as well, not in my favorites but he's got a great catalog. With Getter, I like about half of his stuff. His Firepower releases were pretty dope.

>calling herself irrelevant
>pretentious

You don't know what that word means.

I went to Electric Forest a few years ago and everyone was a total moron.

To be fair, Marshmello's only been doing this thing for about a year now. I don't even really like his music.
Blank Banshee is pretty sweet though. I'd love to see him live

What are you doing right now?

Don't wanna die

That's such a one-dimensional way of viewing music. So fucking boring. I know it seems "pragmatic" but the minute you say "this is how it should be" is the minute I know you're wrong.

It's over user, you won