What is the best time signature and why is it 6/8

What is the best time signature and why is it 6/8

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/u_fZdzw_4v4
clyp.it/rwu152yl
youtube.com/watch?v=k9O9_P7G4vw
youtube.com/watch?v=MYt0v4qvcZA
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

yeah if youre a pirate on a ship or an irishman getting drunk at a bar, in which case, drink yourself you death fuck retard. kill yourself you know nothing clown

6/8 is the shit you get when youre at a renaissance fair

I'd like to add that they use 6/8 often in power metal as well.

Admitting you think 6/8 is the best time signature is equivalent to admitting that you'll never have sex.

admitting that you know what a time signature is is equivalent to admitting that you'll never have sex

try 7/8 you may like it beter

>not 5/4

Are you even trying?

6/8 is basically 3/4 right? I dig it alot

Dude are you okay? Did your gf get stolen by an irishman or a pirate? Or was it an irish pirate?

you mean 3/4?
yeah, thats 3/4

not really

the difference is in the way you count it

bait?

3/4, when counting eighth notes, goes one-two one-two one-two
6/8 goes one-two-three one-two-three

However you can momentarily interchange patterns if you want to offset the listener. A common pattern that occurs is 1-2-3 1-2-3 | 1-2 1-2 1-2 | for an example. You could do this pattern in either 6/8 or 3/4 or even alternating 6/8 and 3/4, with the difference being if you want syncopated accents or not.

Alright, I'll take the bait. No, 6/8 is more 2/4 than 3/4.

Anyways OP, here is the best time signature

A lot of experimental producers interchange time signatures/meters so much that I don't even see the point in time signatures a lot of the time.

This is wrong.

Traditionally-speaking, 3/4 has three duple beats, and 6/8 has 2 compound beats. Not the other way around.

Also, to answer OP's question, the meter really isn't that important; more important is how you phrase it.

>no mention of 12/8

My favorite right here

That's not 5/4 you doublenigger.

>best time signature

not sure if trolling

I only know that d minor is the saddest key

Alternating 4 with 5 in your phrasing is always lovely.

Best time signature is obviously 16/24

yes i have been practicing my 24th notes

But irrational meter has to be interpreted relative to another time signature; that basically makes 16/24 the bitch of whichever time-signature comes before it.

10/8 is my favourite. it's easy to improvise in and sound complex, while retaining some natural feeling.

Seeing as you're talking about producers I'm assuming you mean electronic music. I don't think there's much of a point using odd meters in DAWs for MIDI.
But if you're playing an instrument (and especially in classical or jazz contexts), the meter is very important as it outlines the basic rhythm of the song by itself, and the cadence at which you'll play it (so for instance 120 bpm in 4/4 is "slower" than 120 bpm in 8/8, even though they're the same)

that's pretty cheeky, I have to try it.

>I don't think there's much of a point using odd meters in DAWs for MIDI.
why not you faggot

I'm thinking like Autechre/Oneohtrix Point Never/sort of Trout Mask Replica polyrhythms and syncopation.

>not 6/8 3/4 to count a flamenco 12 count rhythm
youtu.be/u_fZdzw_4v4

check'd

also i think he means that aside from a songwriting standpoint, odd time signatures in a daw aren't that impressive, as there's no need for you to have the skill to properly play in one

assuming you're looping a small midi arpeggio, let's say in 3/4, then you can just write it in 4/4 and remove one quarter of the loop instead of changing the whole time sig and doing a new midi track, it's a matter of convenience, I'm not saying you don't have to deal with odd meters for electronic music

if you want polyrhythm, it's definitely easier to lay down two different meters on top of each other instead of re-writing everything so that it fits one time signature.
But if you're writing down something, and you put 3/4 "instead" of 6/8, it's not necessarily wrong, it just may feel inconvenient for some people as they imply something different each other.

>if you want polyrhythm, it's definitely easier to lay down two different meters on top of each other instead of re-writing everything so that it fits one time signature.
I did something like this in my DAW. Tell me if it's right.

I wanted to combine something in 7/8 with something in 3/8, so I made the DAW meter 21/8 to make the grid easier. I used MIDI drum machine VSTs.

The results actually sounded really nice, but is it dumb to use 21/8 for that?

>is it dumb to use 21/8 for that?
If the whole thing does not loop itself before the 21/8 measure ends, then there is basically no other way to do so.
So basically a quick example of that would be this clyp where the ride keeps the 7/8 beat while the kick keeps the 3/8 beat
clyp.it/rwu152yl
Since DAWs are pretty smart, you can keep using that thing even after switching to another time measure like 9/8 or even good old 4/4, it won't necessarily match the grid but it doesn't matter much.

However the other solution is just looping both 3/8 patterns and 7/8 pattern until they come full circle in your DAW (which is what you'd do if you used two instruments instead of one drum machine), in that case you'd drag 7 times the 3/8 pattern and 3 times the 7/8 pattern
A lot of musicians hate hearing that but it's just basic applied mathematics

7/4 or bust

nah polyrhythms are where it's at

13/8

5/4, simple enough to sound familiar but also slightly off. makes music sound eerie, it's like an uncanny valley of music.

>However the other solution is just looping both 3/8 patterns and 7/8 pattern until they come full circle in your DAW (which is what you'd do if you used two instruments instead of one drum machine), in that case you'd drag 7 times the 3/8 pattern and 3 times the 7/8 pattern
That's actually exactly what I did. The 21/8 grid just made it look more organized.

the person who wrote that peice of shit is a literal retard

My favorites are 7/4 > 4/4 > 5/4 > that one track I know which is in 11/4

4/4

All other answers are memetic.

well now you know you'd need a 21/8 measure too if you wanted to set that in just in one single midi track

It's like 2/4, there are 6 eighth notes in a measure, or two triplets, you'd count it in twos, beat one being the first triplet and beat 2 being the second

are different time signatures easy to tell just by listening to music?

i have no idea just wanna know

he means 3/2

yes you just have to not be a retard

Haha these faggots can't into 16/8

>2035 - 35 + 16
>using time signatures

Just play an endless stream of notes, who cares if it doesn't match the classical meme paper.

time signatures are like, the easiest thing to recognize.

6/8 is just 3/4 in a stupid hat

Play it at a slower tempo you fag.

17/4

29/16 or bust

fucking pleb

Seriously Sup Forums? 4/4 is the correct answer. Fuck all your pretentious mathy bullshit.

Story 2 is the coolest song on clppng because of the time changes. 3/8 is a cool signature.

>not 5/8
Pleb

M8, Hey Ya is in 11/4 and I would consider that to be a pretty mainstream song.

trips proves it, quintuples are fun as fuck, versatile time sigs.

nice meme friend

That's not very nice, user. I wrote it. What makes you say that?

Except with 4 beats rather than 3.

Ugh. But parseability, user!

I feel like 99% of the time it makes more sense to break that down.

surely you recognize it, even if you dont know it

i love how ATDI and Mars volta changes between 3/4 and 4/4 in some of their songs

Why do pseuds obsess over time signatures like they're the coolest thing on the planet

3/1 is the best and if you disagree, you're probably a contrarian

>not 14/88

just stop

See

there gay

>Using time signatures

>14/88
>irrational

>both 5/8 and 7/8 are better
>even 3/4 is better

>not doing irrational canons in 2:sqrt(2) like Conlon Nancarrow

sounds the same you could just say its half temp. time signature help the performer with reading and thats pretty much it

t. "I watched adam neely's video on Nancarrow and now I'm a genius"

>unironically listening to music

>no 8/16

kill urself my men

>I watched adam neely's video on Nancarrow
yup
but I had already thought about the idea of "irrational" tempos before seeing that video, with a different approach. I was just wondering what it would be like to count tempo in for example 2/3 instead of 3/4. But since I'm talentless I just came to the conclusion that it can't be played and stopped there.

kek

What's the point of 6/8 if you're playing it slowly you might as well just use 6/4, it's the superior timesig anyway

/thread

I love you Sup Forums

Hey Adam Neely makes some pretty informative videos.

>Trout Mask Replica polyrhythms
lol

Get back
I'm alright Jack

you will recognize that it sounds odd and in different timing to normal even if you know nothing (4/4 is normal)

Anyone can figure it out if they know the basic idea of what a time signature is just by counting.

A simple explanation for retards, just go one-and-two-and-three-and-four-and for 95% of songs, thats 4/4

If the beat goes one-and-two-and-three-and-four-and-five-and then restarts then it would be 5/4, and it will sound kind of like the measure goes too long since there is an extra beat added from 'normal' time

Pink Floyd's Money is the most famous song I can think of with a prominent unusual time signature, you will notice you count 7 beats through the main riff then in certain beats it goes back to standard time so you can count in 4/4.

Listen to it now and see if you can get that shit, its clear as day once you get your head around the idea.

Outkast underrated af

>what theory do you use?

what about 42/69

do it

5/4 is where it's at yo

>Hey Ya is in 11/4
Not true. There's a bar of 2/4 every repetition of the chord progression, but mostly it's 4/4

>even 3/4 is better
the fuck you mean 'even'
3/4 is best
youtube.com/watch?v=k9O9_P7G4vw

4/4 because it triggers 16 year old proge faggots

>time signatures
infidel plebs
this is real music
youtube.com/watch?v=MYt0v4qvcZA
just listen to the hi hats

Mathematically yes. Actual notation-wise no, but that only matters for sheet music "grammar". A DAW would see 3/4 and 6/8 the same

1/1 or gtfo

Musicians will tend to feel 6/8 differently. Like I find myself counting 6/8 in two rather than 6 or 3 most of the time

please don't use quotation marks like that
it hurts

how is 6/8 any different from 3/4 in reality?

read the thread