/powerpop/

I NEVER TRAVEL FAR WITHOUT A LITTLE BIG STARRR!
Yea I did this once like a couple months ago and people liked it, but it didn't continue so here.

First for best rock sub-genre. Who are your favorites?

How does he do it?

I'M GOING TO LIVE ON A MOUNTAIN WAY DOWN UNDER IN AUSTRALIA. IT'S EITHER THAT OR SUICIDE. IT'S SUCH A STRANGE STRAIN ON YOU.

OP here, for me it's:
Big Star
The Posies
The DB's
Jellyfish
Matthew Sweet
Cheap Trick
The Beat Fountains of Wayne
The Beat
Also The Replacements if they count, I've always considered them more just alternative rock, but I see people call them power pop, and they're one of my favorite bands.
Some of my other favorite rock bands outside of power pop are:
Dinosaur Jr
Sonic Youth
The Jam
The Beatles
Superdrag
Weezer
Neutral Milk Hotel
The Descendents/All
NOFX
Lagwagon
Choking Victim
I listen to some other types of music to but I won't get into that,

Oh shit, realized I didn't make a space after The Beat the first time, and then put them again.

Quick-

What's the best Big Star album?

radio city, of course

Do you mean The Beat that did Walking Out On Love? You should check out The Nerves and The Plimsouls.

Third. I love their first 3 almost equally though.

This is one of my other favorite albums that you may have heard at some point :^)

Fountains of Wayne are criminally underrated.

Yea that one, also I love both of the bands you mentioned.
I still like #1 the most, but Radio City is also great.
Good album
They really are

Have you listened to this?

No, at least not all the way through, because I recognize the 2nd song though and know it well. Thanks man, you should listen to this, it's an extremely underrated power pop album that I never hear about. It's Tsar - Tsar by the way.

Radio City, hands down.

This is really good so far.

listening to radio city for the first time in like a year now

ask me anything i guess?

Have you listened to this?

no i haven't
i've heard their radio hits and they're okay though

gave this a listen a couple of days ago, what do y'all think about it? the title track and "You and Your Sister" are beautiful.

Third, but I love all of them.

A great album, even though it's very uneven due to being unfinished. Speed of Sound is a fantastic track. I wish there was more downer powerpop.

Also Pic related for a modern classic.

I miss that brief period in the early 00s (like 2001-2004) when power pop was legitimate and not frowned upon as being cliche like these days. Fountains of Wayne, The Vines, Kaiser Chiefs, The Hives, The Sounds, and these guys were great. I think Weezer ruined it for everyone with Beverly Hills kind of the same way that The Knack ruined 70s power pop with My Sharona. Not to say I dislike either of those songs, they just got retarded amounts of radio play.

yeah, speed of sound is great too.

and I've gotta give that another listen! I'm a Pretender is a great song, I really wish they could've done more.

this record is insane. essential listening.