Teach me how to haggle lads...

teach me how to haggle lads, a car is listed for $1500 at a used car lot and I only want to pay $800 because the kelly bluebook and other craigslist ads have it around 800.

How much is that car ?

$1500

15, fuck off, it's only worth 5

That car is $1500.

Ok, I'll tell you what, I'll give you $600 cash today.

6, 6 is too low. That car I can sell to you for $1400...

14, no way, too much. I can maybe do $650......

And so on, and so on.....

You're still just over half of the price the seller is asking... Haggling usually works for a few hunderd bucks in this case, say 1000,- for the Car should be reasonable

Btw there's a find line between low balling someone and being a idiot; if you start to low, the seller Will Lose interest

Go there in middle of the night and smash the windshield and put a big dent in the hood. Come back the next day and offer $800.

They will take the $800,

Enjoy your smashed up car.

fuck them in the ass to assert your dominance

why not just buy the other vehicles in the $800 range that is closer to the blue book?

if it's that much higher than the blue book, the seller is an idiot/won't sell it or there is a reason that you may or may not agree is worth the extra amount

>>Hmmm you look alot like the guy from our security cam footage lastnight.....CALL THE COPS!

Don't be an idiot, pay a nigger to smash up the car for you.

atta boy

This OP

offer $400
They will eventually meet you in the middle

talk about all the shit you are going to have to do to make it road worthy/safe

new brakes, flush radiator, new battery, oil change,new wipers etc, all that should be worth at least another $300 minimum off

dont act super interested in and dont talk a lot let them do the talking and in the end just tell them look, i have $800 i think its a fair price cash today thats what i can do, make them make the decision

This is good shit holy fuck

also tell them you are making your final decision today and that you have a couple of finalists but you came here first, any salesman worth half his salt will do whatever he can price wise to prevent you from leaving

also they're not going to take a loss, so if they are in it for more that $800 they will let you walk otherwise anything is negotiable

First of all, the car is in a junkyard, you should be buying parts off of it, not the whole thing, and not for $1500 or even $800.

If you want it, walk in, put $600 on the table and say that is your offer. She'll counter, saying it is worth $1500 but she'll take $1200. Ask her why she thinks it is worth that, listen to her bs, then say okay, I have $800 cash which I'll pay today, or else I'm going to look at another car listed elsewhere. If the other car doesn't work out, I'll go to the bank and get more cash, but I can't afford more than $1000. She'll take the $800, because $800 in hand is better than a piece of shit making your lot look bad.

Don't buy at used car lots, buy private party. You can haggle more effectively there.

Used car lots have a good idea what they can sell shit for. One technique is instead of "financing" (bunch of paperwork to be legal) they sell a vehicle on time payments with no interest. See where I'm going with this? The full amount is owed either way. They will "clear" the auction cost of the car on the down payment in many cases, the rest being profit.

I worked at a used car lot for a few months building cars and trucks.. It was great experience. You ain't gonna haggle a dealer unless he REALLY marked it up to leave haggling room, and when cars hit OPs price range they are usually over ten years old and worn the fuck out.

Does it bump doh? Might be worth the extra $

>any salesman worth half his salt will do whatever he can price wise to prevent you from leaving

Not in the bottom tier used car biz and 1500 is solidly that. The guys who make bank do the soft sell and get repeat customers. (It's fun if you have social skills.)

That car is in a u-pull-it salvage. It's just some pic OP used.

poster just reminded me of something. there's a weird bump in price going with 3rd and 4th gen honda civics. i never understood why but alot of dumb fucks will pay stupid for them.

look for another car.

First, you need to know about cars and if you don't just fake it. Eye ball it, ask questions about every scratch, stain, dent, rusty spot you can find. It is your mission to devalue the car in the mind of the seller. Say things like you'll be invested in fixing said problem spots and that's MORE cash out of your pocket, looks like you'll need to replace the tires soon? Bring it up. Start at the lowest amount you can offer and not piss off the seller.

>Be me
>First car fails MOT, that's another story
>Need new car
>Browse Gumtree
>Find pic related
>Start whatsapping the guy
>says he wants £400, instead of the advertised 500. wants it gone ASAP
>arrange to look at car tomorrow
>thenextday.jpg
>rock up outside his with my mate for "backup"
>guy comes out, typical pikey/chav/ket-head
>have a look over car, ask questions etc.
>go on a solo test drive around the estate
>it drives, not well but from A to B.
>get back, offer him 200.
>he says lowest he can go to is 280
>walk away, as thats out of my price range
>2 mins later, whilst in car with my mate, he messages me
>offers it for 230
>stick at 200
>"okay come get it you lucky bugger"
>almost forgets to take money when signing V5 over.

I loved this car, had it for a year before I got my current one. My boss bought it off me and it's been sitting around for a while. I didn't realise how fucked the clutch was when I was driving it

my point is,stick to your guns. if they're desparate for the money, or to get it gone, they'll take any offer.