Grimes

I'm a normie to this board. What's all the fuss about Grimes? Who and what even is Grimes? Whenever I come to this board in almost every thread people are arguing over Grimes.

Is Grimes good or what? Should I give her a listen?

Other urls found in this thread:

exclaim.ca/music/article/grimes_talks_medieval_times_of_halfaxa
pitchfork.com/features/interview/8774-grimes/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

no, just a meme

Meme goblin, carcinogenic spergo fanbase.

Don't listen to what anyone here says - go listen to her music and decide for yourself (there isn't THAT much of it yet.) See pic related for listening order tips. Or don't. It's your choice.

Grimes is the logical conclusion of music and yes you should obviously listen to her even if you are an undeserving normie.

i hate all of those genres'
does she make hip hop or jazz?

We are the cutest fanbase on Sup Forums, shut the fuck up.

>halfaxa
>witch house
lol

cute people don't cuss

>hostile autism

She's the artist of the decade.

solid music with terrible fans

Grimes makes bland generic music. Some people force meme'd her and then some idiots fell for the meme and convinced themselves Grimes is talented.

Neckbeards jerking off to a goblin waifu. How cute :3

Aesthetically shes better than anyone else. Musically she is shit.

>does she make hip hop or jazz?
Not in a traditional sense, no. But you will find hints of both in her music if you look for it.

>halfaxa
>witch house

Technically speaking Halfaxa is a medieval (as opposed to goth/gothic) electronic dance pop album:
>"This album is more like medieval times," she explains. "I feel like there's this vague aesthetic idea that pervades the album. It's not totally gimmicky, it's just sort of this weird abstract idea of what is medieval and what the dark ages would sound like if they could be interpreted in an electronic means... I want to combine the feeling of sitting in a beautiful church with a reverb-y choir, but I want to combine that with the feeling of dancing to really good music. They're both really animalistic interpretations of beauty but I wanted them to happen at the same time for the listener."
exclaim.ca/music/article/grimes_talks_medieval_times_of_halfaxa

However - notice the wording I used in the chart instructions: "Pick your MOST-LIKED genre..." The genres you see on this chart are not intended to be completely accurate descriptions of what her music is/sounds like (since that would be impossible given that Grimes' music is itself a definable genre - hence the giant dashed circle containing all of her music with the word Grimes at its center.) These are just common musicall reference points that - it is hoped - a new listener might already be aware of, and therefore might serve as a way of getting in to her music more easily for the first time.

I was actually tempted to use the term "gothic pop" instead. However there aren't really any other examples of albums to serve as common reference points for what that means either, so I'm afraid we're just stuck with "witch house" for the time being. Fwiw even Grimes has been over it for years:
>It used to really upset me when people called me "witch house." And then one day I thought, "But I did make a witch house record, whether I like it or not. Boo-hoo."
pitchfork.com/features/interview/8774-grimes/

no she makes bland indie pop. Don't bother.

Today, on this episode of "Memes Gone Too Far". ..

this chart is pretty dumb

halfaxa and geidi primes are basically the same genre (ethereal wave/gothic pop/whatever)
nothing is wrong with connecting art angels to art pop, but it's way more dance pop influenced, so it may confuse someone
and connecting only darkbloom to dream pop is a top level autism considering that 3/5 of her songs on darkbloom are not dream pop, and overall her discography is dream pop for the most part

lol you waste your time explaining music that is shit

>babys first year playing guitar is considered Art pop
what a time to be alive

funny thing is that grimes hates her fans and she would probably find this dude creepy if she saw what he does on here constantly defending her.

Are you jealous of Grimes's success?

>funny thing is that grimes hates her fans
I guess we have one thing in common

This is one of the worst posts of all time.

i like grimes but what you are doing to her would make her barf.

What am I doing to her?

nothing. but try posting something like that on her instagram and you'll be blocked.

After Art Angels (when she fully went with a mainstream pop sound), some posters became insanely obsessed with her and have been shitposting a lot, triggering a lot of people here. They think they act all cute but only appear to be overweight, beta, virgins that are so ugly that when they see an ugly, weird pop singer they get desperate because they believe they have a chance to be with her.

labeling her and putting her on a pedestal
if you payed attention to grimes she releases what she feels like and wants respect for it.

Attacking people because they prefer another artist is something grimes hates. she would ban you from her shows instantly.

heck she got furious at ariel pink for making fun of madonna.
yet all grimes fans do on here is make fun of others for not liking grimes

>projecting this hard

oh user, I'm far from being overweight, beta, ugly or virgin ;)

>implying he's wrong

>legitimately using a smiley face in text
>not overweight, beta, ugly or virgin

>

>projecting so hard you are projecting projecting
>claiming that is not projecting

Why would a fit, alpha, handsome chad browse 4chins?

i am xp :)

Point proven.

This is a terrible post

Um... that's not me who posted that

Because I'm gay and depressed

>gay
>alpha
>chad

You can only choose ONE

lol, this really triggered you, huh?

>this chart is pretty dumb
Speaking as its creator it's supposed to be that way. This isn't rocket science, you know.

>Complaining about people posting music discussion on /mu
Lol

user, that whole original write-up is entirely based on direct quotes FROM HER...

more reason to think user is a creepy stalker and block him

>yet all grimes fans
You mean SOME Grimes fans...

so you didn't even try to make it relevant? that's sad

Lol. Thanks!

It's alright, honey. If I made a thread about my love for Buffalo Springfield and people started slagging them I would probably do the same thing as you.

We are all fanatical of something.

>Quoting a person from their public statements to the press amounts to creepy stalker behavior.
Lol. I'm just gonna assume you're one of those... special people types with five deadbolts on your basement apartment door.

Relevant? Yes. Hard to utilize? No.

>We are all fanatical of something.
Yes - we are all fans of something.

perceptive

>Relevant? Yes
>halfaxa and geidi primes are basically the same genre (ethereal wave/gothic pop/whatever)
>connecting only darkbloom to dream pop is a top level autism considering that 3/5 of her songs on darkbloom are not dream pop, and overall her discography is dream pop for the most part

>Hard to utilize? No
>nothing is wrong with connecting art angels to art pop, but it's way more dance pop influenced, so it may confuse someone

you ain't good at this
don't do it anymore

user, why are you quoting the body of what is clearly someone else's post/opinion of how best to classify Grimes' music at me?