REAL PUNK THREAD

I am sick to death of seeing threads arguing about "Punk"! Are Green Day punk? Is punk dead? Does punk suck? Who the fuck cares?

And every time I see any thread about punk it's always about The Sex Pistols being a "Boy Band" or NOFX sucks or Henry Rollins ruined Black Flag or some other trivial bullshit!

So who here really knows their punk rock? Probably none of you! So I'm starting this thread to see who knows exactly what about punk. Post your favorite bands and say your piece! Picture posted is one of my favorite bands from 1977 which I'll bet none of you are familiar with!

But Sex Pistols are a boy band

Ah yes. The Nipple Erectors who had to change their name to The Nips! Nobody remembers them now but the bloke with the big ears is Shane McGowan. Perhaps you've heard of The Pogues?

Anybody remember this band?

God damn, Henry Rollins ruined Black Flag

The little man let with the glasses started Twin Tone records which gave the world Soul Asylum and The Replacements. He also was Bob Mould's guitar teacher. You all remember Husker Du don't you?

God damn does NOFX sucks dick, I swear to god

Yes but they're a boy band I can actually tolerate.

Still dosen't change the fact they are a boy band. DESU they're too manufactured for my liking

Still doesn't change the fact that as far as boy bands go they're 1000x better than NKOTB N'Sync or Backstreet Boys. If I had to choose between all the boy bands to listen to The Sex Pistols are my number one choice pre fab or no pre fab. Name a better Who rip off ! (The Clash don't count!)

Nigga the Clash do count, what are you smoking? Oh wait, do you want me to answer with The Jam?

Ah yes! Now there's a band that ripped off from The Who so much they even declared themselves MODS didn't they? Still can't understand why the first generation of British punks were so into them but they were a good band nonetheless. And unlike The Clash they didn't put out something awful like London Calling!

Classic Dad Rock at it's finest!

Derailing this thread for a second.

I often hear people say here that punk is dead.

Can someone actually explain to me why they think that? These same people usually go on to say that the ideology died in the 70s.

Can someone actually define what punk was, and then explain how it no longer exists in the modern day, or even through the 80s and 90s?

>Ramones are Dad Rock

You got that right user!

Man fuck modern Archie

Good point user!

Any of you edge lords want to tackle that question?

Ah husker du I remember it like it was yesterday

>You will never travel back in time and hang out with The Ramones at Max's Kansas City in 1976 like Archie and the gang.

Bump. I want someone to answer this.

BUMP!

only hardcore and crust is real

Wasn't Eater just a label plant anyways?

Punk is brand.

The music's been done to death and revivalists are only devaluing it

The political and social landscape that gave birth to it has changed too much

No one's doing anything original with it anymore

As a society we're a bit past the whole "we can change the world with out wicked tunes and 'tudes" phase

The list goes on

When will the "Malcom McLaren totally manufactured teh Sex Pistols to sell clothes so that means their music and role in punk music is null" meme die?

Thanks for responding but not actually answering any of my questions.

You're wrong on most accounts btw.

>The music's been done to death and revivalists are only devaluing it

I can agree here, punk is over saturated

>The political and social landscape that gave birth to it has changed too much

Irrelevant.

>No one's doing anything original with it anymore

That's a shitty and subjective opinion.

>As a society we're a bit past the whole "we can change the world with out wicked tunes and 'tudes" phase

Punk was never about that. You are confusing it with 60s counterculture.

>The political and social landscape that gave birth to it has changed too much

Politics DID NOT give birth to punk rock. Punk rock happened because people wanted to make rock n roll edgy and rebellious again.

Less guitar solos and flare traded for stripped down and simple songs.

>rebellious
Against...?
>You are confusing it with 60s counterculture.
It was a continuation of it, you senseless rabbit.
>That's a shitty and subjective opinion.
>shitty
>subjective
Make up your mind on whether you're going to be an absolutist or a relativist, mate.
>Irrelevant.
No. If you think for an instant you can separate any music scene from its historical and geographical context, you're the one that's wrong on most accounts

Seriously, what were you even attempting with that weakass reply? Embarrassing yourself? Well, congratulations, you successful cesspool.

Punk is dead, in short, because there's no more room for it in the world. Now go and tell me I'm a big wrong meanie while crying over your Ramones LPs.

>It was a continuation of it, you senseless rabbit

First time I've heard that one. Lets see some proof.

And yes, it is irrelevant. If you think that every single punk band of the 70s had the same political ideology, came from the same geographical and political context, and were all striving for the same things you are a fucking moron. The only thing all punk has in common was that it is anti-authoritarian, which it (for the most part) still is. You can always sift through the shit to find the good stuff.

Genres of music cannot die, they can only change.

>Against...?

the music industry, ya dummy