Who is the saviour of pop? is it pic related or someone else?

who is the saviour of pop? is it pic related or someone else?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=AjA89o5vVh4
twitter.com/AnonBabble

it's me

please do an ama

>28 years old
>saviour of pop
2 old sorry

28 is too old? interesting. in your country people usually die at 35-40, so 28 is already old?

bump

Apparently 28 is not too old because she's had tons of success, fuck off.

someone capable of doing so. the new Lorde should be interesting

everyone ages differently, e.g. dying faster

does pop need a saviour?

>reading comprehension
don't insult me dude, i'm on your side. i just mocked this user who said that 28 is too old.

>is it pic related or someone else?
Finally, someone opening the discussion rather than forcing their opinion as fact. I'm proud of you, user.

yes I meant him, but clicked your name. realized afterwards.

thanks. now provide your alternative (post an artist who is the saviour of pop).
ok, i thought it was something off with your comment. i'm glad i didn't insult you.

its lorde considering she won a grammy off her first album

yeah but lorde still needs to prove herself. that was just 1 album she put out, Grimes has a bigger discog with no bad releases whatsoever.

but grimes doesn't have a grammy or a number 1 worldwide hit yet

lorde has already proved herself. grimes hasn't

people need to stop proving themselves

popularity =/= quality

bieber, nickelback and 50 cent have even more hits than lorde.

this is not me

I would say St. Vincent

then why make a topic about pop music then?
grimes can't be the saviour of pop if she isn't even in the top 40

now if u said the saviour of indie i'd agree

i thought it was common sense that awards are RIGGED. And look, I love Lorde a lot as well. But the reason she scored those hits is because Lorde has a wider mainstream appeal.

>But the reason she scored those hits is because Lorde has a wider mainstream appeal.
again how can grimes be the saviour of pop with no "wider mainstream appeal"

It's gonna be Chris Brown once he grows up/goes to rehab.

Grimes is great, but for her next album, I would like to see something more experimental, less poppy

Because she is like no other popartist out there right now and she raises the bar and pushes boundaries? isn't that enough? A saviour who has a generic sound, carefully tailored persona etc isn't gonna make popmusic better.

> A saviour who has a generic sound, carefully tailored persona etc isn't gonna make popmusic better.
popmusic is a business
grimes music doesn't make companies rich.

you have a point. i'd hardly consider her "pop" music given how creatively demanding it is, it's not even accessible pop music. your common person would call it "wack"

>Lorde
>savior of pop music

She hasn't released shit for over three years.

it just depends on how you look at it. you see it purely as a business, I also see it as a specific type of accessible sound. Sleigh Bells also owns a pop sound, but they don't hit the charts.
And you can have both an experimental vibe and accessible sound, such is the case with Grimes.

>I would say St. Vincent
fair enough. i would pick her if grimes never existed.

Real savior of pop music right here. I bet all of you are gonna post indie pop artists that hardly anyone outside of 4chins knows about.

you could save the pop music by making a statement with great music and that will hopefully trigger a change. it's about influence, not units sold.

>I also see it as a specific type of accessible sound.
yeah but again thats not being the saviour of "pop" music. that's just an artist using a certain aesthetic for their concept.

right now pc music will trigger a change because they play ball with major labels. grimes is her own weird entity.

all these arguments of you don't mean that she won't influence popmusic as a whole. a ton of (pop) artist are already fascinated by her body of work, and there is no doubt she is a huge influence.

>right now pc music will trigger a change because they play ball with major labels.
i hope not. honestly, there even one good thing about pc music? it sounds like crap to me, layers over layers of ironic "music" with the most annoying voices possible. i swear, i'm all ears when it comes to catchy music but this pc music seems pointless.

>pc music will trigger a change

People have been saying this since 2014 and they haven't triggered shit.

a saviour isn't supposed to be an established mainstream artist, but a challenger. a saviour in general is a challenger, that lone person who is doing the impossible.

because it's just a fad, like electroclash. style over substance.

neither will grimes

i don't like pc music but you can't deny that carly rae, diplo (part of jacku) and charli xcx are taking serious interest in them and have already collabed with them.
they respect her for being an true solo act but i just feel like grimes is so unique its impossible to copy her
i can see her inspiring other artist to make music without others help. but that's it

grimes has been out for awhile and i see no influence from her sound. correct me if im wrong

we'll see. she seems to be more and more popular. at least we still have her gorgeous music to be listened.

>NEVER had a top 40 hit
>NEVER had a #1 video
>ZER0 Grammy nominations
>savior of pop

I knew you grimes fans were passionate but you're all just speaking complete nonsense now hahahahahahahaha

Don't forget she's also NEVER had a #1 album

Pop isn't just restricted to giant stars like Katy Perry, Beyoncé and Ariana Grande.

>they respect her for being an true solo act but i just feel like grimes is so unique its impossible to copy her
someone already started copying her: youtube.com/watch?v=AjA89o5vVh4

user, Taylor Swift is a present status quo of pop music personified. Assuming that there is actually any "saving" needed in the first place, it would be from the likes of her.

I didn't say it was but she has literally no merits, awards, critical acclaim or sales numbers to match them

So as much as you want her to, grimes is not """"saving"""" pop right now

jesus, that is copycatting to the extreme. also, never take an artist seriously who wears a thing like that on her head.

Let's not forget that Grimes was relatively unknown before Visions, and that was released in 2012. So obviously it's gonna take some time to really hear Grimes' legacy continue in the work of other artists.
One example of Grimes being an influence is definitely on the album No Mythologies To Follow by MO. She said herself that she thinks Grimes is great. I definitely spot some similarities in the ways that the vocals are edited in NMTF and Visions.

ok, ama

>So as much as you want her to, grimes is not """"saving"""" pop right now
Not that user, but that makes sense. Maybe she will, in the long run.

I've said it once and I said it again. Big budget award shows are rigged and require a lot of promotion and lobbying for someone to be nominated and eventually win. And she does have critical acclaim. Generally, her entire discog is loved by critics.

The Velvet Underground and Nico initially had horrible sales, but look at the status of that album now.

Then she is not saving pop right NOW is what I was trying to get across, not that the industry isn't fucked up or that award shows are not rigged

I'm not even saying she doesn't have the talent to later on """save""" pop but to say she isn't doing it right now is pretty much a given

>they respect her for being an true solo act but i just feel like grimes is so unique its impossible to copy her
Imo it is only a matter of time before there are oodles of other artists out there openly attempting to emulate her style (ala ) However, as you point out, that isn't gonna end up changing much of anything because her style is too specific to her own quirks for it to work for anyone else.

>i can see her inspiring other artist to make music without others help.
THIS. Grimes being so honest and open about her unorthodox music-making processes (for the contemporary pop genre) and laissez faire attitude towards genre distinctions in general are what is going to put her on the map in terms of dramatically influencing the pop music world.

Grimes ISN'T directly influencing the specific trends and styles of music in the contemporary pop sphere. What she IS doing is directly influencing the ways in which the people who make contemporary pop music THINK about what it is they do and HOW it is they can technically go about doing it - which is a FAR MORE significant form of influence when you think about things in the long-term.

An artist like Lorde is significant to the ongoing genesis of pop music because she shows a successful path by which other artists can game the current system into achieving mainstream success. An artist like Grimes is significant to the ongoing genesis of pop music because she shows how using an alternative to the system itself is both feasible and capable of leading a person towards mainstream success. Artists like Lorde are master players at other people's games. Grimes is a master game designer.

Of course, it's pic related.

>GrimesCuck
Such a funny trip. :)

bump