Awaken My Love = Maggot Brain

youtube.com/watch?v=21sP7orRS3c

So it seems like Maggot Brain by Funkadelic was the inspiration for Awaken My Love by Childish Gambino.

Have a listen. The guitar riffs are almost the same for a few songs, the drum patterns are the same, the vocal style is similar, and the general feeling of the album is similar.

FUCK CHILDISH GAMBINO

s t u n t o n t h e s e h o e s

Damn.

Can you get to that = Have Some Love
Hit it and quit it = Boogieman OR You and your folks...
Super stupid = Riot
Back in our minds = California (those bells)

Probably copied more from this group, just from different albums

duh

i really like the guitar riff in The Night Me And Your Mama Met

reminds me of the guitar riff in The Worst Guys

Maybe it's just generic funk

And Redbone pulled directly from Bootsy

why did he copy the album art?

I can't tell if its an homage or a blatant ripoff

Rather be with you?

but Awaken my love is good though

Is the back a skull?

kind of seems like blatant ripoff

Yeah this definitely is not an homage. People thought the album cover was an homage, but little did they know that the entire fucking album would pull directly from Maggot Brain.

What a load of shit honestly. I haven't heard the album but I believe you, his because the internet album was pretty shitty. Maggot Brain has one of the most beautiful songs ever made (Maggot Brain) and should be respected.

fuck you I like it

Yep, that's the one.

"Maggot Brain" is absolutely incredible. Where can I find entire albums of music that sound like that song?

What went wrong here? The singles that hyped this release were incredible. I'm not mad that its a modern Funkadelic album, I just think the overuse of the autotune plus the hiatus he took made me expect something more

Not sure man. Its so disappointing. I do like the two singles and Baby Boy though. All 3 great songs.

I appreciate it. But that's about it, so stale and underwhelming, can't believe he quit rap for this

America eats it's young is a similar style, anything by Parliament/Funkadelic though.