As hobbyist of musical exploration and appreciation...

As hobbyist of musical exploration and appreciation, we are destined to run into an artist from time to time that completely envelops our attention for longer than they should. But eventually it get's marked up as a "classic" for you and you move on to different artist.

Have you ever found an artist that you possibly consider your "end-game" artist? Not that you will stop listening to other music, but you think your appreciation and admiration for a particular artist is so great it will never be topped?

I am just recently having this with Joanna Newsom. I've never studied a discography so closely in my life, never been so obsessed. Her music is completely eclipsing everything else for multiple months now. I can't think of a single artist better. It's to the point where my obsession is purely subjective. I understand other artists do certain things better, but I don't care. She has become my "end-game" artist.

Any of you guys have an "End-Game" artist? Tell us about them. Why are they great? What about them did it for you?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=fknK9vtKvzM
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Its called being a fangirl.

Are you me?

Joanna Newsom is the greatest modern songwriter this Earth has seen. What she does lyrically, musically, and atmospherically is at another level that I've never seen before or even really seen come close to. There isn't one song I can point towards as a representation of this, but I think In California represents a good amount of what I love about her music. Anecdotes is another good example of her mastery of cadence, and Cosmia is the only song to ever make me cry.

She's better than anyone, it's not even really a discussion that I can have with someone at this point, I will never be convinced

I've been a fangirl before. For certain artist. And still am. I defend their music beyond what is probably necessary, out of an infatuation.

But it's something different now, it's like I'm deeply in love with this artists music, beyond fandom.

while i get what you mean, OP, usually I rotate between artists i'm obsessed with: i study their discography closely, i listen to their work obsessively, i read interviews, i try to investigate context for their material. sometimes it's not a single artist, it can also be a scene i investigate very closely.

about a year ago it was tame impala, prior to releasing currents. it lead me to investigate other members of the australian psyche rock scene.

right now it's parquet courts, which i picked up following sunbathing animal, but now i've developed an obsessive relationship. for me, it doesn't really mean i'll stop listening to other artists, instead it means that i've shifted my interest into one particular genre using a band as a starting point.

Thank you. This is pretty much exactly how I feel. Joanna Newsom has made me cry out of pure beauty now. I'm beginning to believe she might be the best song-writer that exists today. I just can't seem to think of another artist that really comes close. Specifically her lyricism, taught me how to better evaluate, interperate, and appreciate poetry.

There are artist that help a listener get into more interesting genre's and bands, but Joanna Newsom helped me get into poetry and read more literature and I even learned crazy fucking fingerpicking for like two months so I could play this guys version of Sprout and the Bean youtube.com/watch?v=fknK9vtKvzM (I can play that now! Not as fast as him though). It's like Joanna has made me better as a lover of art. Her music is above just appreciation, I praise it.

God that sounds weird. I've never found an artist like this before, and I don't think I will after.

I guess if I had to pick I would probably say this guy.

But I tend to get more obsessive over genres rather than artists. I don't like to pick favorites with specific artists.

Parquet Courts is awesome.

And I see. I believe I've done that before, though not in rotation. Over the years there have been artists that I will watch all the interviews of and get real close to and identify with. I've never done it in rotation though, I've only had 3 or 4 of those artists really.

Joanna just brought it to a new level for me. Was there an artist that lasted longer than usual for you or you still find yourself watching interviews and reading old reviews of? Like an all time classic for you?

that's awesome, I think we're on the exact same page with it. If you want, email me at [email protected] with like a snapchat or something and we can talk about this shit more

A benefit of this website is the single-service conversation with the added bonus of anonymity. That sounds shallow, but personally, as an introverted weirdo, I'm going to keep using it that way and politely decline the offer. I mean that to be comedic, but also genuine.

I really appreciate it though! It's nice to hear someone else be obsessed with Joanna's music.

i feel the same way about these 4

Phillip Glass is a great composer. I've definitely gotten into entire genre's one after the other before, but in recent years I felt like I ran out of "major" genre's and everything was a subversion of something else to a point where I felt like I knew what it was coming from or trying to do, so I just started honing in on particular artists instead from wherever genre they happened to be in. You ever felt that way about exploring genre-by-genre? Got a way to keep it fresh doing it that way?

I totally get it! I'm sure we'll get into a similar conversation in the future about this in a Newsom Ass thread

i know that feel user, i had to stop listening to joanna a little over a year ago cuz it was all i wanted to listen to

Most definitely.
Hahaha, I haven't gotten there yet.

Maybe I haven't been listening to music as long as you, but for me, every time I think I've found everything a genre has to offer, I discover something new, whether it's a new cross/sub/microgenre, or a new artists who's lesser-known but really amazing.

Jazz is a great example of this, there are hundreds of great jazz albums and even once you've listened to the ones that everyone knows, there's so much more to discover that you don't generally hear people talking about unless they themselves are super into it.

Perhaps. Perhaps not. I get burned out sometimes and maybe don't dig as far into a genre after covering the "essentials" of it plus a few tag-a-long artists I find along the way. The electronic experimental scene did that for me, I thought I'd hit the end at like Aphex Twin and Flying Lotus haha, little did I know it was just the beginning. So yea maybe I just need to keep digging in places.

Jazz though, jesus man, Jazz was my study for a year at this music college I was in for guitar, and holy shit man. Like I love me some Jazz but you are 100% right man the lengths that genre's goes is well (well) beyond what most people think. Pat Metheny is my classic fusion guy, always love him.

is this thread 4 real?

it triggers me af and proves girls should even think about music

Why do you say that? Speak your mind.

JS Bach. Every fugue, every cantata is a world, and his oeuvre a universe. An inexhaustable wellspring.

because " "end-game" " artist? lmao.

grow up. more like circejerk artists Sup Forums loves to circle-jerk about/

next thing you're gonna tell me grimes is the artist of the "decade"

Did you write that? What fervent verbiage you have.

Happened to me with Bob Dylan and Townes Van Zandt. Bob Dylan's really a treasure if you take the time to dig into all of his influences, ranging from The Beats to Blake to all the country and blues musicians of the past and Townes is just a beautiful sad bastard.

Slightly unrelated but the director of Be Here to Love, a documentary about Townes, liked two of my photos on instagram and I'm sperging out over it.

I don't understand your frustration, and you still haven't addressed your comment on women making music.

I tried Grimes, wasn't for me. I usually stick to folky stuff these past two years or so.

I understand Joanna is an artist a lot of people talk about here, I'm sorry my thread further displays that to you. I'm also sorry that frustrates you.

You're giving me very little to work with here. Do you want a conversation or are you here to just be a cunt?