How do i into electronic music?

how do i into electronic music?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/YpAu46UeEGw
soundcloud.com/user-393850209/my-song
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/tangerine_dream/phaedra/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/tangerine_dream/rubycon/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/ashra/new-age-of-earth/
youtube.com/watch?v=e5ylsK5Q90w&index=44&list=PLWeOuG7Ri6sxF71VtdpKa4gjQEW0iexAO
youtube.com/watch?v=M13DQDFp4zM&list=LLBVDJBqJhwNLcgIxUv6pZOw&index=61
youtube.com/watch?v=ApN1cZoiX4w&list=PLWeOuG7Ri6swIUx16XG_Wequ9wdFPRcrw&index=1
youtube.com/watch?v=woRYQz9-Vmg&index=2&list=PLWeOuG7Ri6swIUx16XG_Wequ9wdFPRcrw
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>how do i into hundreds of genres and subgenres

Listen to Justice-Cross and the first two Daft Punk albums

skrillex, than software and then daphine oram
then you die

pls

i have no idea where to start. aphex twin is good but i don't know anyone like him

Boards of Canada
Autechre
Plaid
Kettel

thank you user!
i already love boards of canada already and how ambient it sounds

Try this.

listen to grimes.

B12
Future Sound of London
Orbital

YOU LISTEN TO JEAN MICHEL JARRE!!!!!!!

Listen to Klaus Schulze instead. Either that or Steve Roach.

Tycho

justice - cross
tycho - dive
oneohtrix point never - GOD and r+7

you should like at least one of those and its not hard to explore further into them

Is there a good chart for this? Not like the ones with a bunch of albums on rows, but rather like the ones that tell you which direction to follow according to what you liked in the album you've just listened to.

kraftwerk, just kraftwerk

not this

good, but not entry-level

this

plus Venetian Snares, Squarepusher, Rolando Simmons, Ceephax, EOD, uZiq, Clark, FlyLo, Trackermatte, Arca, Objekt, Pilotredsun, Phonecia, etc.

Not entry level, but most would rank these very highly:

Aphex Twin
Autechre
Oneohtrix Point Never
Sd Laika
Rolando Simmons
Arca

How do I into string music?

I love Pilotredsun but his music isn't patrician level yet. He's getting there.

good shit, all of them. what's SD laika been up to lately? I haven't heard of anything new from him lately

>talking about "entry-level"
>recommending tycho
are you fucking retarded

Ravi Shankar, Radiohead, Joanna Newsom, Fugazi, Slint, Vivaldi

it's true, but achievement was a really good album.

do you only like boring-ass music that most people listen to while studying

Kanye West, Nas, Taylor Swift, Katy Perry, Stockhausen, Schaeffer, Scooter

Yes, you fucking idiot, I am recommending OP entry-level music. Or could you not understand that?

Seconding Pilotredsun and Squarepusher.

Which recommendation of yours did I shoot down that made you this upset?

Yeah I really enjoyed it a lot but the IDM style he has isn't quite as complex or catchy as his inspirations yet. His post-Achievement stuff is weirder and moving in a nice direction I think.

I also enjoy his video editing. Old rare PRS: youtu.be/YpAu46UeEGw

The sheer huge variety that falls under that umbrella is just too much to fathom.

got my ticket to see Aphex Twin @field day in june

says its his first live appearance in the uk in 10 years, so looks like it might be 'live' and not a dj set

Thanks for sharing, this was hilarious.

Someone emailed him and he said he was super busy but still intends to release his next album. No one knows when.

jesus i wouldn't recommend him to a novice

the last 4 are new to me thanks

listening to Replica album, loving the blade runner vibes this is noice

Electronic music I like:

Aphex Twin, John Frusciante, Skrillex, Venetian Snares, my own music.

I prefer dixieland, ragtime, new orleans, prog metal, classical, and hip hop.

soundcloud.com/user-393850209/my-song

meh

DJ Nathan, DJ Andy Scott, Dark Cloak, Four Tet, Ben UFO, Chris Liebing, DVS1, Arnaud Le Texier, Dave Clarke, Marcel Dettmann, David August, Maceo Plex, Carl Cox, Richie Hawtin, Mano le Tough, Ame, Mind Against, Hunter/Game, Job Jobse, Recondite, Redshape, Woo York, Lake People, Aera, Jeff Mills, Robert Hood, Underground Resistance, Drexciya, Ron Morelli, Floating Points, Nina Kraviz, Scooter, 2 Inda Bush, A.Skillz, Access Denied, Adam Freeland, All Good Funk Alliance, Andy Page, Aquasky, Atomic Hooligan, BadboE, Basement Freaks, Ben & Lex, Brothers Bud, Bugz In The Attic, Deekline & Keith Mackenzie, Deekline & Wizard, Dr. Rubberfunk, DrumAittic Twins, Ed Solo & Skool Of Thought, Evil Nine, Elite Force, Flow Dynamics, Freeland, Freq Nasty, fDel, Fort Knox Five, Future Funk Squad, General Midi, Hybrid, ils, Krafty Kuts, Kraak & Smaak, Max Sledgely, NAPT, Nick Thayer, NuBreed, Plump DJs, Rennie Pilgrem, Slyde, Soul Of Man, Splitloop, Stanton Warriors, Skeewiff, Smoove & Turrell, Soopasoul, Tayo, The Beekeepers, The Breakfastaz, Tipper, Uberzone, 2 Bad Mice, 4hero, 9Lazy9, Acen, Adam F, Ali B, Altern 8, Amon Tobin, Bassbin Twins, Biochip C, Boogie Times Tribe, Brisk & Trixxy, Bomfunk MCs, Chocolate weasel, Colin Dale, Cujo, D-Force, DJ Crystl, DJ Pooch, DJ Red Alert & Mike Skinner, DJ Sy, DJ Trace, Harmony & Xtreme, Hyper On Experience, Isotonik, Krome & Time, Loft Groover

LTJ Bukem, Far Too Loud, Fluke, Freestylers, Groove Armada, Guau, Hyper, Junkie XL, Killreal, Lo Fidelity Allstars, Major Lazer, Minuit, Minister So Sinister, Narc, NRG, Omni Trio, Orca, Pure White, Ratpack, Reche & Recall, Rocksteady Crew, Ruffstuff, Properellaheads, Satin Storm, Secret Squirrel, Skeng Gee, SL2, Slimpater J, Surburban Base, TMR Inc, The House Crew, The Chemical Brothers, The Crystal Method, The Future Sound Of London, The Prodigy, Apex, Bachelors Of science, Basher, Black Sun Empire, Breaker, Breakbeat Era, Brookes Brothers, Calibre, DJ Hype, DJ Marky, DJ Rap, DJ Spinbad, Remarc, Reso, Rockwell, Roni Size, Shapeshiter, Simon V, Silent Killer & Breaker, Shy FX, State Of Mind, Sub Focus, Sub Zero, The Upbeats, TREI, Zero T, The Qemists, Urban Shakedown, Urban Hype, Undercover Elephant, White Breaks, Zombienation

Finally, someone reasonable. I'd recommend Brian Eno. His music is a combination of ambient and electronic music and he's done many collaborations. Here's an electronic, progressive electronic album of his I'd recommend.

rateyourmusic.com/release/album/tangerine_dream/phaedra/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/tangerine_dream/rubycon/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/ashra/new-age-of-earth/

tips fedora

nice1

Great response. Only EDM, right?

do not listen to this garbage OP

>this thread

Tangerine Dream and Kraftwerk

Yeah, there's nothing in between EDM and whatever Brian Eno is supposed to be.

This was the album that really got me into electronic music

I don't understand what are you trying to say.

>electronic

The fact that so many Sup Forumstants still use the term ''electronic music'' only tells you how far Sup Forums still is from becoming a serious music board. Europeans have long recognized that their is no similarity between all the genres lumped together except for the plug attached to some of the instruments yet Sup Forums still persists. Good music boards rank the highly different genres and their subgenres yet Sup Forums still calls them all elelctronic. Sup Forums is still blinded by rockism: it all ''sounds the same'' and the instruments have plugs (not true, by the way), therefore it must all be the same genre. Europeans grow up listening to a lot of ''electronically produced'' music of the past, other boards grow up listening to a lot of ''electronically produced'' music of the past. Sup Forumstants are often totally ignorant of the ''electronically produced'' music of the past or anything past rock, they barely know the best sellers. No wonder they will think that ''electronic'' is a genre.

Musique concrete
EAI / Onkyo
Turntable / tape music
Electronic rock crossover
Ambient
Hip hop
Dub
Downtempo / Chillout
Chillwave / Vaporwave / Internet genres
Techno and many subs
House and many subs
UK Garage and many subs
Trance and many subs
Breaks and many subs
EDM
Drone
Noise
Industrial
EBM
Synthpop

>electronic

>electronic

Skinny Puppy, Frontline Assembly, Cyberaktif, KMFDM, Depeche Mode, Throbbing Gristle, Download, Kraftwerk

t. embryo

Oh, another meme image. Great...

>electronic

We've seen in the first 3 times.

>meme image
wew lad

>electronic

sure is /turny/ itt

The Man Machine

It's been many years since Turny was the only one to point out the stupidity of "electronic"

go to bed turny

We know it's you man.

>how do i into electronic music?
What did he mean by this?

"What has Sup Forums labelled patrician EDM and IDM that's approved for me to scrobble"

Nobody says Mr. Oizo?

>doesn't recommend daft punk, grime, or kraftwerk
>recommends tycho

go back to /r/electronicmusic you loser

there's a shitload of stuff that falls under the vague umbrella term that "electronic" is. like dozens of subgenres with subgenres within themselves and scenes. you are most likely gonna like some and dislike some others, but not "electronic" itself.

i feel like a lot of people have a tendency to recommend as a sort of "starter pack" aphex twin/boards of canada/daft punk. i really don't see the point in this because a shitload (i would say most) of the "electronic" subgenres are often single-based and i'm not entirely sure if two ambient techno releases and a synth-poppish house thing represent all the variety out there.

if you want to have a solid base with which to work and make your own way you could pick up a book like Energy Flash by Simon Reynolds. you'll easily find a pdf out there and it's a good starting point. it's biased as any story of a genre you may find and reynolds makes clear his preference and dislike for certain stuff, as well as ignoring some artists, but it covers the basis: detroit techno, chicago house, rave music, etc.

in a similar way, there's stuff like ishkur's guide to electronic music. it's a simple online guide with audios to listen to from different subgenres. i would rank it a step below the book i mention above, but may give you a quick glimpse at different styles.

or just try to get a taste of as many genres and you can and then decide. open /bleep/ and check out the youtube links. go on resident advisor and see what they are hyping now or their old lists. go on RYM and check out lists or browse by charts.

personally i think the part of learning about its history is the most rewarding but it's all up to you

/thread
You can't really argue against his points. All I can say about EDM and other radio friendly sub genres of music is that they're products made to be sold.

OPN actually once said it was his dream to score the Blade Runner sequel. Sadly, he isn't, but the guy doing it is also good at least.

rip :(

next time you're going to agree with your own post don't make it so fucking obvious

Sure...

I'm tryin to delve deeper into electronic music. Can I get some recs? Here are the meme albums I like:
>Autechre: garbage ep, confield, tri repetae, and lp5.
>boards of Canada: Geogaddi(One of my all time favorite albums), Music Has The Right To Children, and A few old tunes
>Aphex Twin: SAW 85-92, Surfing on Sine Waves
>Other albums: 76:14, Loop-finding-jazz-records, E2-E4

Luomo is on the chart twice

I second what all the other anons have said about the use of the term "electronic." I don't think I'm informed enough to break it all down, so I would just suggest that you find some music that utilizes some synthetic sounds that mixes with whatever your preferable genre is and then work your way in towards the electronic side of the music.

Given that I listen to Hip-Hop, my progression into Electronic music might be something like this:

youtube.com/watch?v=e5ylsK5Q90w&index=44&list=PLWeOuG7Ri6sxF71VtdpKa4gjQEW0iexAO

youtube.com/watch?v=M13DQDFp4zM&list=LLBVDJBqJhwNLcgIxUv6pZOw&index=61

youtube.com/watch?v=ApN1cZoiX4w&list=PLWeOuG7Ri6swIUx16XG_Wequ9wdFPRcrw&index=1

youtube.com/watch?v=woRYQz9-Vmg&index=2&list=PLWeOuG7Ri6swIUx16XG_Wequ9wdFPRcrw

Have fun!

>Autechre
>no Amber
look at this pleb

i had no idea vangelis wasn't doing the soundtrack...

Jóhannsson seams solid tho

I just watched Sicario and really liked the music and how it was edited to go with scenes. Same director and composer, so I'm hopeful.

thanks user :D

It's pretty good. Just not one of my favorites. It has some seriously great tracks like foil, and Montreal though.

The guy doing it is just good though. Johan knows how to texture a movie but shit is his work forgettable as hell

THIS 100%

Has potential. Good sense of rhythm. Missing some arrangement cohesion though, and needs more progression and general tonality.

Yeah I don't think I'd listen to his stuff by itself, unlike OPN. But he knows how to work with movies and get the desired atmosphere and tension.

Justice - Cross
Boards of Canada - Geogaddi
Aphex Twin - Drukqs (the livelier tracks on this album)
Andy Stott - Faith In Strangers
Clark - Totems Flare
Chemical Brothers - Surrender
The Prodigy - Music For The Jilted Generation
Pendulum - Hold Your Colour
Gesaffelstein - Aleph

Those albums would give you a pretty solid basic overview of some of the predominant styles of electronic music, ranging from dark to cheerful and from mainstream to weird

No problem my duderino.

Amber is one of their more boring records, and yet critics were all on it's dick so hard. I still don't really understand

Hip hop is electronic music

Jesus christ

Which electronic music?
IDM, Ambient, jungle?
You're going to have to be more specific.