Hey guys, i'm currently majoring in music but i'd also like to start my own custom amplifier company in the near future...

hey guys, i'm currently majoring in music but i'd also like to start my own custom amplifier company in the near future.what classes would i need to take to learn how to build amplifiers such as this one in the photo? Thanks Sup Forumsros

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=nFwGZhec3AI
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Search for a forum for guitars and amplifiers, maybe. See if anyone has advice.

If it was an audio question, I'd try gearslutz.com

Great forum, but I don't think they really do anything much with guitars and amps.

thanks man, you play?

Electrical engineering. Specifically discrete circuits and amplifiers.

80% of EE undergrad is amplifiers. If you wanted to build and sell amplifiers, you should've picked a major that wouldn't make you a laughing stock and burn your money.

What would make your amps appreciably different from anyone else's? And why haven't you built your own amp yet? If you don't know how, say, how class A/AB/C/D amps differ you need to hit the books.

Basic electronics is definitely important. I see vacuum tubes in that pic so that means:

- Electromagnetics/transformers (basic stuff)
- Audio frequencies /speaker basics
- High voltages
- capacitors, resistors, tubes etc too

Basically basics of audio amplifiers from the old days. Fortunately tube Amos are still very popular, and there are tutorials and more on the internet.

You might check out diyaudio.con too.

Don't be intimidated. I have an engineering degree but you don't need that to learn & build.

Bruce Egnater does an 18w build from start to finish as a class. The triamp is a different creature from a simple class ab pixie pusher.
You'd be better off starting a pedal building company and convert profit to r&d. Small wattage tube amps are where the money is anyway. Metal machine amps are for children to masturbate to when they want to make a metalcore band with their faggot friends.

No, i'd just like to start a company with custom amps like avatarspeakers.com does but with more variety and more options with amplifiers and hopefully have my own custom guitar company too but i don't really know how where to start

Is there anyways i can contact you after this thread dies my apologies if i sound like a nuisance i just want to learn.

To be completely honest i'd like to tour around the world but also have my own custom guitar and amplifier company but i don't know if i'd have the time to do both and i'd also like to learn chinese since the company i need to order supplies from is based in China

Becoming a luthier is a lot easier and involves far less math.

Step one for doing any of this stuff: build something shitty, accept that it's shitty, and then go from there.

Audio electronics and audio engineering, im an undergrad in audio technology, just recently done a module in amplifier design and learnt most of the basics in it. Its not easy shit user, quite a bit of research in just creating the simplest part of the amp. I'd recommend fucking with pedals and such before taking the plunge in amplifier design, good place to learn the basics.

what types of books would i need to hit?

hopefully i don't sound like a bother but is there anyway i could stay in contact with you after this thread dies?

>Electrical engineering
Only correct answer. OP could probably build copies of other amps but I don't see, why anyone would buy them. Any successful product needs to offer something that others don't and designing guitar amps or electronics in general isn't easy.

Would i also need to take woodshop courses so i'd be able to learn how to build a guitar cabinet and amp head, the design and everything is right there but i really want to know is how would i order these supplies from companies but not get charged a fuck ton

Drop out of college, take drugs.

You sound like a lost cause. Just concentrate on whatever you are doing right now and leave engineering to others.

Buy:
The Guitar Amp Handbook
anything by Gerald Weber
Look up Uncle Doug on YouTube.
Start simple. Enjoy

thanks

wow, you're an asshole

probably should learn how to make a guitar pedal first. or use a soldering iron.

pedals= low voltage fun
tube amps=higher voltage and higher danger

High Voltage?

Do you even know what you're talking about?

Some universities have Electronic Engineering, some others have Electrical enginieering (Power systems oriented/High Voltage)

The best ones have Electrical engineering as both in one. But it's hard as shit.

Mainly you'll need calculus, mutivariable calculus, complex analysis, algebra, linear algebra, diferential equations (ordinary and partial) courses as a base. Then circuit analysis, electromagnetism, electronics (analog and digital systems), waves theory and classical physics.

I'm a realist. Think about it. You don't even know, how to build the enclosures and you still have to ask whether you should learn it. Of course you should. Amplifiers are electronic devices and thus require knowledge about electrical engineering but you had to make a thread about it.

You would need a degree in Industrial Electronics Engineering, to start with.

Unfortunately, the last I heard, the tubes used in that style of amplifier are rare as hen's teeth. They're not made anymore, haven't been for decades. Once in a while, somebody finds a cache of a few thousand that end up being worth their weight in gold, but I haven't heard of that happening in quite a while.

i see your point, i guess i'm just stuck on this whole thing

Tubes are still made but not a lot. Premium tubes are made even less, so you might be thinking about those. They're called NOS tubes.

what do you mean? how would they be rare if these companies are still making these amplifiers o.O

If you really want to build amps, study electrical engineering and if you want to run a company, study industrial engineering in addition. Otherwise you won't succeed.

do you think i would also be able to balance that out with a music career? I'd like to do both tbh

I stand corrected. Apparently there are still people making tubes, especially audio tubes and tubes for high power applications.

I'm a little shocked, truth be told. I thought the "Wood Welder" we had at the last cabinet shop I worked in was the last tube-driven device I would ever see.

That thing, BTW, was an impressive machine with tubes that looked like 2 liter bottles in it. It ran at 27 MHz and produced heat at a fairly short range with a variable capacitor in the hand unit to control depth of heating.

youtube.com/watch?v=nFwGZhec3AI

What kind of a music career?

Hard but not impossible. Just to be clear, it would be very hard.

I think audio amplification, both instrument and hifi, is the main market for tubes and then there are some really niche applications, where transistors can't be used. I'm studying mechanical engineering, so don't ask, what those could be.

i love hard stuff

either a band or a just a solo career kind of like john mayer but without the gay ass songs

I bet you do. After all, you're OP.

:D

xdd

>Tube Amplifier

There's your first problem. Solid state or die.

kill yourself

Both of you in fact

this entire thread as well

Do you even play guitar?

do you even eat ass?

No. Solid state guitar amps sound horrible 90% of the time.

Boutique tube amps are a saturated market, and solid state brains are cranked out by the bazillions by some monster Chinese factory.

Why don't you try building some lightweight speaker cabs? If you can make something loud, portable, affordable, and has excellent sound reproduction, you might get a rep and have enough cash to try hand-wired tube heads.

lol wrong person, i'm OP

please elaborate?

Elaborate on what?

I think I spelled it out pretty clear.

ELABORATE ON HOW MUCH OF A FAG YOU ARE! OP 1 faggot user 0

i get what you're saying, i've trying to figure that out myself i was thinking of using recycled plastic but i don't think that would really work

lmfao