My girlfriend says this is the shittiest album i ever showed her

my girlfriend says this is the shittiest album i ever showed her

show her your shitter

Dispose of her. There is no room for dissent.

Seems like she doesn't know the Sup Forums circlejerk yet

ur gf is like my villages bicycle, every1s had a time

tfw no gf

I mean, there really is nothing terribly interesting about this album

into the trash she goes

You know what you have to do user

It's indie pop. I don't know why you talentless hacks obsess over it.

Your girlfriend has bad taste. That's why she's dating you.

tell her to go fuck herself. i mean it. defend this album's honor and tell her to fuck off

>EX Girlfriend

Go outside

I guarantee that I have more of a social life and spend more time in nature than at least 90% of you clowns. I'm just a musician who knows 4 chord acoustic hipster whining in 4/4 when he hears it.

Holy fucking shit dude

This is just embarrassing to read.

The truth hurts pussy. This album is shallow pop music with acoustic instruments and quirky hipster aspects. It's absolutely nothing special and nothing to obsess about. Not my fault that you like shit music.

She has good taste. She's a keeper.

Holy fucking shit dude

That album is a meme! Do not be fooled! It is bad user!

You sound like you play in a speed metal band for drink tickets and complain about Miley Cyrus even though you're 35 and should be spending your time trying to find a job that doesn't force you to take the bus everywhere instead.

she's not wrong

I saw a shopped version of the cover as a banner of Sup Forums once, that's the site where I get my fake news.

I bet she doesn't even let you stain her mountain tops.

tfw no Sup Forums bandwagon gf

Fuck off Morrissey

I'm actually 24 and play a large variety of music on Thursdays and Saturday's for fun and extra money.

>itaots is pop music
>SHALLOW pop music
WEW

That being said, enjoy rationalizing why you praise a mediocre hack playing indie pop that every ugly hipster chick thinks is deep and unique.

4 chord in 4/4 acoustic pop music and has quirky instrumentation to appeal to people who pretend to be unique but are just listening to another flavor of pop.

Don't care. What I said was you SOUND like you play in a speed metal band for drink tickets and complain about Miley Cyrus even though you're 35 and should be spending your time trying to find a job that doesn't force you to take the bus everywhere instead. The actual details of your life interest nobody.

If you check, I never actually praised that album. I do happen to like NMH, but I mostly listen to them for all the ugly hipster pussy, obviously.

The bus is pretty convenient and parking can get rather expensive

Taking the bus because it's convenient and taking the bus as your only recourse because your minimum wage job doesn't provide you with enough money for both insurance AND all those 9 volt batteries for your distortion pedals are two different things.

That guy isn't me.

Right, and I'm telling you that you're wrong and this is how you justify liking/defending a mediocre album for shallow hipster girls.

If you don't listen to art music (orchestral music) you're listening to pop music and you're a pleb regardless. That accounts for 99% of the threads (and thus the posters, thats you buddy boy).

And if you fit this description, you wouldn't be spending any time on a board that spends .01% or less of its content discussing orchestral music.

You should look up what a "royal you" is.

And right, and for the second time I'm telling you that I don't care what you do in your allegedly very social life full of fun and extra money. If I say that you sound like something, that simply means it's a comparison based on observation. Like if I smushed my palms against my mouth and blew, and then someone told me that it sounded like a fart, it would be completely irrelevant for me to say, "well actually that fart sound you just heard didn't actually come from my butthole." Also what's not to get, that album is justifiably great for picking up shallow hipster girls, as you seem so obsessed to point out.

And your observation is meaningless, innaccurate and is so off the mark because it's your own imagination constructing a way to devalue my legitimate and accurate assessment of this piece of mediocre hipster garbage. I don't care if it's good for picking up hipster chicks, I'm talking about the quality of the music itself. Your incessant attempts to defend it show that you have something personally invested in the defense of this album, or that something about me hurt your delicate sensibilities. Checkmate pussy, enjoy your shit pleb taste and socially retarded hipster chicks.

It's the vocals that matter on this album, not the generic instrumentals.

Not arguments

The only people I hear pointing out standard time signature as if it were a bad thing are people so desperate to seem sophisticated in their tastes that they'll try to drop the most basic technical understanding of music like "4/4" in their hackneyed analyses.

You know that he audibly has trouble hitting those easy notes right? Pointing to the vocals as the most impressive part is hilarious, because they're the most objectively bad from a musical standpoint.

Wew good thing that wasn't my only point and it's an amalgamation of mediocre aspects of this shallow hipster trash.

How to spot a normalfag

Sorry this isn't a safe space for you.

There's a lot more to music than just being in-tune, including vocals. His performance isn't about the pitch perfectness or vocal gymnastics like in modern pop but his intonation and rhythm and timing and emotion. It's not a great performance from a technical perspective, but it's still very musical and engaging.

Combined with the lyrics and wordplay and supporting band (who play well even if the compositions are very generic), and the end result is something emotional that a lot of people love.

r u feeling ok

It's not about safe spaces, it's about knowing your place

This is fun for me.

Right, you're at the bottom because you use socially normal as an insult.

What you did is like saying that Bob Dylan's music is good because he's great at singing. Jeff is a shit singer failing to sing easy stuff that should be well within the range of a professional musician publishing his work.

And your place is in a dumpster like your mother intended. Fuck off chad thundercock

Most boards have a fingerbox or equivalent. You fell for ours.

>everyone who isn't autistic or socially retarded is an unwanted child

Lmao this is what helps you sleep at night.

fighting on a meme-music board on a lao sand painting website is fun for you?
you lied about going outside a lot, didn't you?

Here's your (you) sir

I just like going to parts of the internet where the shittiest and most insufferable people reside so I can pick them apart. It's below freezing outside, dark and it's a weeknight. I have nowhere else to be. I genuinely enjoy ruining the delusions of superiority by the pleb trash here that think they're special.

Well like I said, I never did defend it in this thread. Personally I find the notion that you think your trite dismissal of an album simply based on the number of chords, the standard time signature, and the fan base (none of which are even really the main attraction for most of the people who actually enjoy ITAOTS) actually warrants the validation of being taken seriously that you so desperately crave to be far more ridiculous than the fact that you don't like that album. If it'll pacify you slightly, I enjoy the album for a number of personal significances that I've come to attach to this album over the years. However, from an objective critical stand point, I find the lyrics to be evocative, playful and figurative enough to stoke imagination, but not impenetrable or pompous enough to not be engaging or emotionless. The simplicity of the arrangement and the off-key vocals of Jeff Mangum highlight those aspects. It's a very similar reaction I've had to some of Beat Happening's darker albums, or on more extreme fronts, nursery rhymes with off-putting origins. And of course, the fact that this album has gotten me laid by shallow hipster chicks. There are more reasons, like pacing and tone and blah blah blah, but as I've mentioned already, you and your non-critique aren't worth the validation of reacting to. Everything I gave here is just a freebie.

who cares that i don't go outside?
i'm still objectively right about this mediocre piece of trash.

Not me.

That's a lot of faux intellectualism for an argument that you could have used to defend a Fifth Harmony song.

>What you did is like saying that Bob Dylan's music is good because he's great at singing. Jeff is a shit singer failing to sing easy stuff that should be well within the range of a professional musician publishing his work.

No, that's not what I said. I can acknowledge that people like Taylor Swift and Katy Perry are great singers and yet still think their music is shit.

There's just more to being good at singing songs than hitting the notes. Timbre, pronunciation, timing, rhythm, formant modifying, rhyme, sentiment. There's a lot of good atonal/noise-singing out there in the same vein. Music can be tackled in different ways and sometimes being "technically improper" can actually improve the musicality of a song.

You can see things like this in "bad" drummers who may not have perfect timing but are creative enough to take advantage of that and create interesting patterns with an "offness" or sloppiness that actually improves the song because of how it's leveraged (giving a swingy or syncopated or jittery feel that complements the melody more, for example).

For whatever reason, many people think Mangum achieved a pleasant combination of singing traits in the album. If I listen to it with an open mind I don't even notice or care that he's sometimes out of key, because I like the other aspects so much.

Don't know who that is. But if you want smaller words, I can direct you to an online thesaurus with a child-friendly interface.

The point is that you picked vocals as your focal point for proof that it is a good album. You could have said it was good despite them, but you actually put them first. That shows me that you don't know shit about music to the point where you can't identify that a singer is audibly struggling to hit notes that aren't even difficult.

Not bashing your use of vocab, I'm bashing it for the lack of substance combined with good vocab. It's a pop group, you could have used this exact same argument to defend any pop song with a bad singer with lyrics that are one step above trash.

Dude, what happen to that """"""""social life"""""""" you couldn't stop bringing up? Shouldn't you be hooking up with chicks or talking to your friends or going to a party? That's what people with a social life do. Or are you just so autistic you decide to be arguing with a bunch of other autist because it gets your rocks off? Honestly dude, that's not only fucking stupid, it's pretty sad.

>The point is that you picked vocals as your focal point for proof that it is a good album. You could have said it was good despite them, but you actually put them first. That shows me that you don't know shit about music to the point where you can't identify that a singer is audibly struggling to hit notes that aren't even difficult.

I still strongly think the vocals are the only reason this album has acclaim. It'd have much lower reviews from critics if it was just the instrumentals, and probably the same if it were another singer.

The struggling to hit the notes is the entire fucking point. You know less about music most of Sup Forums, probably. You might know music theory, but you definitely don't know music.

i bet you like dream theater

>tfw female
>start dating some guy, sort of nerdy but you're willing to look past that for now
>even humor him and listen to his shitty potato woman albums
>he asks your opinion on it
>answer honestly
>he immediately gets up and goes to his room, slamming the door loudly
>he proceeds to complain about it on a japanese cartoon message board
>get called plebitch even though they listen to recordings of fucking washing machines
>what has my life become

The butthurt of you insufferable clowns brings great joy to me. As I already said, it's a weeknight and I have work tomorrow. I have no obligations right now social or otherwise.

>being objectively bad at your musical task is novel and good

This is why hipsters are hated. It's just an excuse to not perfect your craft.

Nah not really. Technically good but a little too bland.

>being objectively bad at your musical task is novel and good
Being objectively bad at one aspect of your musical task while being objectively good at other aspects of your musical task is literally novel and good. If it sounds good, it is good.

>This is why hipsters are hated. It's just an excuse to not perfect your craft.
What kind of music are you into?

>the worst album i ever showed her
Well what else have you showed her?

I bet women's uteruses become waterfalls once they hear you spend most of your arguing with strangers on the internet. You must be a pussy magnet!

Alright, I'll bite. The main attraction for me (I had thought you'd have the critical ability to come to this conclusion on your own given my examples of Beat Happening and nursery rhymes. I guess even when I don't give you very much credit, I still give you too much credit) is the appearance of nascence and innocence that Mangum uses to paint the subject matter, which is actually fairly dark and sexual, the first major example being in The King of Carrot Flowers Pt. 1 where he says "and your mom wouls stick a fork right into daddy's shoulder and dad would throw the garbage all across the floor as we would lay and learn what each others' bodies were for." Yes, it's a simple device to veil adult themes in strangely plaintive rhetoric, but if done in a poetic or imaginative way, it can be very effective. And it's not just in music; Blake did it in Songs of Innocence, Kosinski did it in The Painted Bird (another work written about WWII from a childlike narrator). Even the last line of the album "she will feed you tomatoes and radio wires and retire to sheets safe and clean but don't hate her when she gets up to leave" provides a strong sense of provincial imagery by using "tomatoes and radio wires" as a metaphor for strength/sustenance and communication to the outside world, and it digs into that feeling of being attached to someone who could make you a better version of yourself, but ultimately you are just relying on them for your own improvement rather than truly being in love with them. So yeah, just like that pop group you know about or whatever, basically.

Fuckin lol

And it doesn't sound good, asshole can't even sing without his voice reaching the verge of cracking completely. You chose his vocal skill as your example, his vocal skill is easily the most objectively bad part of this album.

I'm into various kinds of rock, metal, hip hop, pop, I'll generally listen to anything except whiny indie bullshit and country.

I don't spend most of my time arguing with strangers on the internet, very little time actually. Quite obviously, I avoid talking about the internet at all with girls because it dries up pussies very quickly. They're more into my wit, humor, pretty face, passion for helping people and my musical talent.

>They're more into my wit, humor, pretty face, passion for helping people and my musical talent.
Christ you have a bigger ego than kanye west

>And it doesn't sound good, asshole can't even sing without his voice reaching the verge of cracking completely. You chose his vocal skill as your example, his vocal skill is easily the most objectively bad part of this album.

Whiny music isn't necessarily good and is often bad, but I think Mangum pulls it off in his performance here. The cracking and whining feels like it comes from authentic emotion. Real despair and regret and lament, perfectly in line with the lyrics.

I don't really have anything else to say here, other than that I think the voice cracking and yelling is done in a very musical and heartfelt way, while acknowledging that 99% of the time that sort of stuff in music is usually pure shit for one reason or another.

Nobody who uses the word "quite" the way you do is getting laid. Stop frontin.

I only repeat what people tell me about myself.

There is literally nothing about failing to hit notes well alone that shows passion. You might be right if he were singing really difficult things, but that doesn't apply to anything on the album. He's just generally a shit singer.

Yeah I alter the way I speak around women and there are some women who wouldn't mind quite in that context. I know my audience when I want to get someone to feel a certain way.

My qualifier for what constitutes good music is that being bad in one category requires excelling in all others. If he has a bad voice, he better excel in everything else he does. If he only plays 4 chord songs, he better be an insane singer and writer. Jeff is only decent at writing, the rest of the songs are just mediocre hipster garbage. If I wanted good writing alone, I'd read a book of poems. Not listen to a professional musician fail to hit easy notes while playing something as simple as wonderwall.

>There is literally nothing about failing to hit notes well alone that shows passion. You might be right if he were singing really difficult things, but that doesn't apply to anything on the album. He's just generally a shit singer.
His being a shit singer doesn't mean they're shit songs, though.

>I know my audience when I want to get someone to feel a certain way
So you want me to feel grateful for not being a retarded piece of shit like you are?

Lol you and I both know damn well that I'm not retarded.

So you admit that he sucks at singing and it doesn't do anything to relay passion. Good to know.

Your girlfriend is a pleb.

>you and I both know damn well that I'm not retarded.
*not too retarded
fixed that for you

holy fucking shit dude

Got you to move the goalposts. This bores me though, I've had my fun.

Enjoy feeling special about liking the same garbage that all the smelly and socially awkward. wire frame glasses hipster girls like on every college campus.

>My qualifier for what constitutes good music is that being bad in one category requires excelling in all others. If he has a bad voice, he better excel in everything else he does. If he only plays 4 chord songs, he better be an insane singer and writer. Jeff is only decent at writing, the rest of the songs are just mediocre hipster garbage. If I wanted good writing alone, I'd read a book of poems. Not listen to a professional musician fail to hit easy notes while playing something as simple as wonderwall.

You treating those aspects like they can be taken as mutually exclusive when understanding an album shows how pedantic your critical thinking really is. As I've said before, the darkly nascent tone of the lyrics are accentuated by the off-key vocals and simple arrangement. You might as well be saying "well, Paradise Lost has a decent meter, but Milton can't fucking rhyme!" or you might as well be faulting Breathless for having unconventional cinematography while also essentially just being a gangster flick. Clearly the subject matter of ITAOTS would have an entirely and most likely less memorable effect if every chorus switched to 7/8 or whatever and he sang like that pop group you mentioned you like. But it's funny, you're calling NMH hipster pop garbage while also complaining that he doesn't hit notes essentially in the way a trained pop singer would, so it basically sounds like you're saying NMH is too discordant and not poppy enough for you.

You are seriously the most insatiable try-hard I've ever met. For being a person that has a "passion for helping people" you're pretty conceded and condescending.

itt:bait and everyone falling for it

Underrated