/lat/ - Latin Music General - Back From the Dead Edition

>What is this?
A thread for all music coming from Latin American countries. Spain is welcome here too!

>Why?
You see threads about music from the USA and UK, spawning everyday in every minute. That's only obvious because Sup Forums is settled in USA, but I'm aware many of us anons are not. And because latin music isn't very talked about, I guess we can try and make a custom out of it.

>Do you actually know something about Latin american music?
Not much, i'm just a dude who got inspired by a Chilean student and wants to discover more good Latin American music.

>So, what do we discuss? There's too little to talk about
Post local bands, artists that you think other anons might like, Latin charts you've seen somewhere or anywhere, maybe share something yourself, idk man

I'm gonna be posting charts that I have saved from past Latin Music Generals.

Chart that I made, does anybody have any recommendations? I'm trying to find albums that are similar to Hasta La Raiz or Irakere.

Ayyyy lat is back! Try chucho valdes border free

Forgot pic

this one is really poorly titled. "Argentinian music", that's as vague as it comes. it's only focused on rock and not even what the consensus would agree on being the essential argie rock albums and it lacks anything pre-2000s, basically. it's like a mix of a few 2000s and 2010s indie stuff.

not saying it to be mean, just constructive criticism

I dont know who made that chart but thanks for the criticism, what Argentinian music do you recommend?

i was about to write it as a list but found it easy to organise as a chart, so pic related. hope it helps in any way

some notes:
-as you may see, i'm unknowledgeable as it comes in some genres (trad and tango, for instance) so there's a bias towards rock
-i limited it to 1 album per artist for the sake of variety, otherwise there would be more by invisible, for instance. also the fact that it's all eps and albums means that artists that i appreciate in terms of singles (but not full-lengths) aren't there
-if redonditos and sumo aren't there it's not because i haven't heard them but because i really don't like that much a lot of artists held as classics

Thanks for the recommendation, I really liked it and now have more Cuban Jazz to listen to.
Wow thank you for making this chart, this is exactly what I wanted from Latin Music General. I will definitely check this stuff out.

We should make an actually good chart of latin american music.

My suggestions would be diving the chart into
>pre-colonial traditional music
>post-colonial traditional music
>popular music
Popuar Music (rock, electronic, etc) gets way too much credit already, so it's kind of hypocritcal (imo) to have a thread that complains about some countries getting to much credit and then we do the same we complain about but with other genres that are actually native to our countries.

After that, divide by regions
>caribbean
>Iberoamerican
>Brazilian

Also, include music that is actually got on an "international level", so that we can remove generic stuff like Los Tres and give more opportunities to more deserving artists like Violeta Parra (in the case of Chile).

Any ideas/opinions?

How come no one has mentioned Jorge Ben on this thread yet?

we were waiting for you to do it

congratulations!

Well in that case here is Forca Bruta. It's amazing.

No probs brother

nice chilean chart, senpai.
i'd replace
gepe with fother muckers
and
tiro de gracia with como asesinar a felipes

>gepe with fother muckers
Better yet, remove both
>tiro de gracia with como asesinar a felipes
Actually good suggestion

oi avant-fag.
what do you think about la maquina de hacer pajaros? I really love them, even more than sui generis

any fellow argie user going to any show soon or some new records to recommend?