Concert General

Do we still know what to do, Sup Forums?
>Recent concerts + reviews
>Upcoming concerts + recs
>General concert discussion

>2016
>going outside to listen to music

I'll start, as usual.

>Recent concerts + reviews
My last show was Tycho + Com Truise, which I reviewed a while back. In short, Tycho was as good as ever and Com Truise was pretty sw8, first time seeing him.
>Upcoming concerts + recs
The calendar so far:
>Dec
17: Earthless - Holy fuck can't wait to finally see them. I had tix to see them last March, but I was too lazy/tired to drive 5 hours roundtrip after spending the weekend at SXSW.
>Jan
11: godheadSilo - HOLY FUCK CAN'T WAIT TO FINALLY SEE THEM. Wonder if they'll let me on stage to play Booby Trap with them after showing Mike how to play it again
22: Deerhunter - Maybe. Might be having surgery between this show and the previous one, so we'll see.
>Feb
7: Cloud Nothings - Missed seeing them in BG a few years back, regretted it ever since. Hope to see them this time.
18: Run the Jewels - Self-explanatory I'd think
>Mar
13: Mouse on the keys - Another one I'm absolutely stoked for. Heard good things about the opener, LITE.

That's it so far. Solid end and start to this and next year.

What's wrong with you people?

Maybe you're all just busy seeing shows right now.

From Riotfest:
>Motion City Soundtrack: first time crowdsurfing/10, great show therefore. Solid emo-y band
>Dee Snider: 2/10. Soundman was retarded and they suck. I got a pick tho?
>Death Grips: 9/10, best crowd ever, Zach Hill is incredible, whole band does not fail to disappoint (when they show up)
>Rob Zombie: 8/10. Great showmanship, as you'd expect.
>Misfits: Historical show/10, too bad they're old and fat now.

>NSP Show: 8/10, super fun, good mix of humor and decent music.

Hoping to see Vince Staples in spring, is he good live? It'll be my first straight hip-hop show.

>Run the Jewels - Self-explanatory I'd think
I'm looking forward to see them at primavera, I don't like them that much, but I can see them being a great live act.

Sell that Dee Snider pick for a gorillion dollars.

I want to see Meme Grips again only this time I get there early enough to actually be able to see the band by getting a good spot in the venue.
Godspeed user, glhf. Wish I could go to Primavera someday.

Nah it was a Damon Ranger pick, the rainbow hair man was helping out or something

Saw this goddess and metal's most majestic facial hair play with Boris a few monthes ago, amazing show....dropped about $300 on merch and beer.

Kinda pissed that I wasn't able to see Red Fang, Torche, and Whores last night.

>Wish I could go to Primavera someday.
it's my first time going. I bust a nut when I saw the line up yesterday. Mostly looking forward to Frank Ocean, Death Grips (gon be my third time seeing them within a year lol), and especially fucking Sleep.

only big show i've been to all year was Swans back in august or september
Was pretty great, ruined a bit bc i went alone and hungover and stuff, they sounded amazing though. sounded way better live than the glowing man sounds on record i think, that album was disappointing af
might go see handsome family tomorrow

Damn. Oh well.
T H I C C
Beer prices these days, Jesus. I remember the first and last time one of my friends bought alcohol at a show... $13 for a Red's apple cider thing and a shot of Fireball. Ridiculous.
Lineup does look choice. Be sure to see FlyLo, BBNG, Mac DeMarco, and Tycho if you haven't seen them yet.
Hope to see Swans someday son. Missed seeing them a few years back, opted for Deafheaven on the Sunbather tour instead. Kinda regret it, but Deafheaven was amazing, too, so still worth.

Are there any artists whos shows have a relaxed atmosphere? I'm a very lethargic person by nature and I think I'd get fed up pretty quickly if I went to a show where everyone is super high energy. I was thinking of going to one but staying closer to the walls and maybe bringing some ear plugs if it gets too loud. Tips and advice appreciated

animal collective in rva a couple weeks ago. loch raven live was magical. summertime clothes was so hype. they closed with guys eyes. awesome show. wish i couldve heard daily routine and some other older songs though

>you will never witness a 70s tangerine dream church concert

those things must have been incredible

Local Oatmeal Porters were $5 a pint, most of the cash went into the 5 vinyl and 2 shirts. Was at the Cat's Cradle in NC.

Why is it that female drummers always seem stiff as hell?

Why cant any of them just be loose and groove. They all look like they just got out of their first week of lessons

Earth was like this, Opeth as well.

You really can't go wrong with any doom or prog.

slayer

Quoted the wrong person.

>between bands tend to stand like six inches from people maybe
>everyone does under the understanding that you shcooch together once the music begins
>girl approaches, walks through space
>let her pass
>then her friend does
>then her tall male friend does
>all holding hands, all standing right the fuck in front of me, not actually passing through

They actually got me with the same move twice, I guess assuming one person wasn't going to have the confrontation.
Honestly want to fucking murder people that don't get the 'rules' or purposefully take advantage of them.

There are a quite a few bands that were amazing live, but shit recorded.
Saw Bellows with PWR BTTM and they blew my fucking mind, but their albums blow my asshole.

Just have to go to smaller places. Generally I run into 'sliding-scale/pay-what-you-can' beer.
Not even sure if it's legal.

Tycho is chill max. But even then, people are still moving and grooving.
It depends on who you see, really.
Generally speaking, any live show is going to have some amount of people moving around/yelling/etc. The more chill the music, the less chance of that happening.
I work at a guitar store and I get people pretty frequently telling me about the time Jimi Hendrix came to town and was amazing. Too bad that was 20 years before I ever came about.
>oatmeal porter
I was going to have one by a local brewery myself tonight, but ended up not. Those are really good and I can understand buying more and more.
>5 vinyl
Jaysus man.
Sounds like an all-around great time though.
Sounds like you've seen shitty drummers. However, it is common for women to not be as fluid. I think it's the smaller bone structure and muscle tone, if I had to take a guess.
Carla from Autolux is a good example of not that though.
I saw tricot live and their drummer wasn't rigid.
I won't fucking stand for that anymore. I'm a pretty passive person in general, but if you step in front of me at a show with your friends in tow, I'm going to speak up, or block you off entirely. Fucking hate that shit. Show up earlier or don't show up at all.
You just have to be assertive and close gaps yourself. People usually catch the hint. Try to make those around you aware, too.
As far as beer, the scale is definitely a thing. Smaller local places are pretty easy going about prices. The incident I mentioned (the Red's and Fireball) was at a place I now know is notorious for high-priced drinks.

Eh, I should have, but I saw a closer, better spot to stick myself in.
Worst part about it was that it was the dude in front of me directly. Not to shit on tall people, I guess they can stand whereever, but it's just exponentially worse in this scenario. Do you have no body awareness or do you just not give a shit?

bunch of local punk and indie shows coming up, not at house shows oddly enough - which is nice for me.

the mayhem/inquisition tour has a stop at a venue that's a 5 minute walk from where i'm sitting currently. will prob go for inquisition.

alcest is later in january, but i haven't listened to them since 2007... i doubt they got any better, and they seem like they'd draw a different crowd now. can anyone convince me otherwise?

if anyone has their ear to the ground for good, underground metal shows in milwaukee or chicago... please post about it!

I feel the same about tall dudes being a manlet. I mean, I can't be mad at someone wanting to stand wherever and for being tall, but I wish most would at least have awareness of where they're standing and move if they're blocking people out dramatically. I always ask for anyone shorter than me if they can still see well enough behind/around me.

Yeah, dude. I'm 5'2; I've seen a lot of sweaty backs in my life time.
Luckily for me, I don't generally see a lot of 'stand still' shows, but still.

Damn, I'm 5'8". That sounds so much worse.
But like you said, going to shows where everyone's moving around helps a lot, too.

I remember my worst experience: Benjamin Booker at a small club show. Literally no one was moving around, which was quite unlike the music being played. Everyone was just fucking standing there, staring ahead, not doing anything. I kept thinking to myself, "Are they even enjoying it? Why isn't anyone dancing/moving/nodding their heads?" It was magnified by all these people being like trees, blocking everything in my line of sight.

To top it off, I had this group of middle-aged women behind me saying that I was too tall. I couldn't move since it was packed, so I couldn't get away, but hearing that it was my fault they couldn't see when I couldn't see either was infuriating.

>Be sure to see FlyLo, BBNG, Mac DeMarco, and Tycho if you haven't seen them yet.
I've seen all of those this year except Tycho so I'm definitely doing that. I've seen FlyLo at a festival this year and he was amazing really down to earth and great mix, I was going nuts when he played Wesley's Theory. Seen BBNG and Mac as well, BBNG was good, but sadly it was a free gig the venue organised and most people were only at the venue for drinking and chatting, most people weren't into the music at all, at times I felt as if the talking was the louder than the music, so I'm definitely taking the chance to see them again. Mac is just an absolutely funny fuck, seriously the guy could be a comedian. Him and his band members were spanking each other with leather belts on their bare arses on stage and also asked crowd members to come on stage to be spanked. I was high as fuck and baffled at wtf was happening. I held his sweaty hand for like 5 seconds when he went crowdsurfing, it was a wonderful moment, he was clutching my hand like a baby. That show was really weird honestly.

Bump for more good concert discussion

club rectum

>Anthony Fantano

>user Fantwan

Are doom and prog shows really that lax? I would have thought otherwise

I'll try Tycho out. Hope he'll be playing in a place in Cali that isnt a 6 hour drive soon

Has anyone seen Sigur Ros live? How was the atmosphere?

I've seen them live at a festival. People didn't shut up. There were those Italian fucks next to me smoking a big joint and one guy tripped out heavy, eyes red as the devil, they spent the entire show hugging and talking to each other and anyone that ever heard an italian person speak italian knows they speak loud as fuck and Sigur Ros isn't a particularly loud band so that was annoying as fuck, I didn't want to leave my spot because it was a good spot. Apart from that their show was good. Some wonderful moments. They started playing when it was just getting dark and gradually they used their screens and light show more. Ný Batterí was great live. Should be great if you're going to see them in a proper concert venue. If you're seeing them at a festival i recommend you try getting as close to the front as you can, people there are more into the music.

>wearing glasses in a mosh pit

What the fuck Fontana

They're playing at Walt Disney Concert Hall so I'm not sure if I'll run into the problems you had

Saw Micheal Rother last month, one of the best concerts I've been to, highly recommended.

I'm going to see primal scream soon. How good are Sunn, Faust and clipping live? Was thinking of buying tickets for some of those.

i know ear plugs are a must to protect your hearing but fucking hell atleast get some skin colored one and cut them down so they dont stick out an inch out of your ears that just looks so damn retarded