Dungeon Synth December /dsd/

Second day of this glorious month. I think it would be cool to focus on modern bandcamp releases, kinda want to go through that.

ancientborealforest.bandcamp.com/album/spirits-within-the-mighty-forest

Other urls found in this thread:

voldsomtapes.bandcamp.com/album/til-det-bergens-skyggene
hedgewizard.bandcamp.com/album/more-true-than-time-thought
youtube.com/watch?v=1V0_zVjvczE
youtube.com/watch?v=EJ6IRNC3nEk
elvesanddwarves.bandcamp.com/
clyp.it/xfvdamm2
youtube.com/watch?v=aruE6J-Of_8
pagodamast.bandcamp.com/album/solitude
dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/6259120/wz.mp3
soundcloud.com/197549/the-children-of-lir
youtube.com/watch?v=O5ntLTMYH_s
m.soundcloud.com/yamie420666/take-up-thy-wizard-staff
rabor.bandcamp.com/album/gods-and-heroes-2
flickr.com/photos/britishlibrary/page1
isaedor.bandcamp.com/album/the-priests-dungeon-demo
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Something about modern releases doesn't seem genuine to me. I don't know why, but very rarely does a bandcamp dungeon synth release really invoke the same feelings I get from old 90's obscure tapes.

Til Det Bergens Skyggene is one of my favorite modern day Dungeon Synth artists, he really captures the atmosphere and charm that the first wave had.

voldsomtapes.bandcamp.com/album/til-det-bergens-skyggene

I think I see what you mean, but it's not a universal law. A lot of modern ds, especially from Russia, feels sterile and the synths too clean. But if you look you'll find a lot of stuff that, while maybe clean by first wave standards, doesn't feel pidgeon holed into a certain sound. First wave is indeed better though, but I wanted to get out of that circlejerk for this thread.

what's the trick to making authentic-sounding DS?

are there any dungeon synth charts like there were for /nbbmn/?

hedgewizard.bandcamp.com/album/more-true-than-time-thought
listened to this?

As in like the charts everyone was making, or just general essential charts? There are definitely essential charts, though I don't think any of them are that great aside from literally just getting into the genre.

thanks user - i just meant charts for beginners. i only got into bm this past month and love it, just wanted to see if there were any essentials.

What do people think of Lord Lovidicus? Just come across him on Youtube:

youtube.com/watch?v=1V0_zVjvczE

Beautiful.

Aside from OSRS what are good games to play with your dungeon synth?

I'm playing Skyrim right now with it on

Amazing album, he has good shit, nice discovery user!

Listened to this last night for the first time, pretty good.

This is the best essential chart I've seen, but it's still missing a few classics like Temple Forest or Middle Ages.
It might just be because I'm a dweeb, but something about being able to just google an album and download it on bandcamp makes it less mysterious and charming. Something about listening to poorly made synths that some loser made in his room inspired by fantasies is so much more interesting and authentic to me. By biggest grip with modern DS is that it's too clean and unoriginal. But then again, I'm obviously going in with a bias when listening to the new stuff, so maybe I just loosen up and stop taking it so seriously.

Forgot pic woops.

I think a lot of people making modern stuff have forsaken using an actual keyboard for just messing with flstudio which is kind of lame to me. I know you can do anything with a computer these days, but nothing sounds more comfy than setting up a cheap casio, lighting a candle, and drinking while trying to make something cool.

Olgerd is fucking amazing, check out the rest of their stuff.

Plan on it. Finally got around to browsing the Asmodian Coven blogspot and he's had a pretty solid selection of ds stuff there.

youtube.com/watch?v=EJ6IRNC3nEk
bump

elvesanddwarves.bandcamp.com/

About to dive into this

hey, whoever recommended the trolltjern ep, thanks, this is great.

clyp.it/xfvdamm2

well that General MIDI unit I bought is really paying off

nice dubs also I love that album. I'm debating buying the tape and storybook
I'm getting a controller later this month so right now I'm just goobering around using my qwerty keyboard as a controller

I'm hoping to have a 15 minute demo out later tonight, heads up

the tape sold out, hopefully they'll do a second run of it like their bandcamp suggests

youtube.com/watch?v=aruE6J-Of_8
>tfw this album
dungeon synth that was recorded much in the 80s, weird as fuck actually

What's some more dark/winter ambient?

Die Festung is incredible and creates a beautiful atmosphere.

Lunar Womb - The Astral Grief
Solanum - Spheres of Time

pagodamast.bandcamp.com/album/solitude

Okay here it is, my DS demo. The first two tracks aren't great but I'm sort of pleased with the others. I'm working on getting the right synth tone.

>pagodamast.bandcamp.com/album/solitude
hmmmm.... Idunno, what are you using to make your music? Are you recording yourself playing a keyboard, or recording your computer? Either way one of the biggest aspects that makes dungeon synth great is how comfy it is, and your synth tones are pretty damn abrasive. You also don't really have melody or song structure going on from what I hear. I'd keep working at it.

Well I did make it deliberately noisy to sort of recreate the rawness of classic releases. Also Tracks three onward have very distinct melody and I did write and somewhat structure all of them, although whether or not that's evident is I guess debatable. But thanks for checking it out, yeah. You may want to go back and just listen to the 1 minute outro before you dismiss it entirely since I'm I guess the most pleased with that. But yeah definitely working on a different synth tone

My background in harsh noise probably affects what I do to some extent haha

I want to hear stuff y'all made

dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/6259120/wz.mp3

this isn't really intended for release, it's just something i made for fun.

I"m making the intro do a demo right now, will post when ready.

This is fucking amazing, put this shit into a demo right the fuck now.

This is the most recent I've made:
soundcloud.com/197549/the-children-of-lir

This is an album I made 3 years ago, not especially proud of it though.
youtube.com/watch?v=O5ntLTMYH_s

You really think so? this is the only song I've made like this.

this would be one of the best modern winter synth albums I've heard, so yeah. You have talent. What did you make it in?

Made this a while ago when I was trying out cassette tape looping

m.soundcloud.com/yamie420666/take-up-thy-wizard-staff

I used Ableton. A custom made Tension instrument and one of the shitty preset pads. I'll work on some more stuff like this. I kinda just made it and left it in a folder but on second listen it's better than I remember it being.

Damn, this is really good user

Thanks man, I really appreciate that.

I have to agree with everyone, this is good stuff.

I'll try picking it up again and put out a little EP hopefully before the end of the year.Thanks for the encouragement guys.

>this

Nice dubs! Also I think anyone can make a decent DS album in a month. Everyone should do it! I'm going to make another, better one

rabor.bandcamp.com/album/gods-and-heroes-2

god damn this is ridiculously fucking good

fire up the runescape boys

is runescape actually fun? i haven't played it for like a decade.

I think its just because there are much more numerous releases since anyone could make an album these days. Give it time and the good stuff will start appearing

I was just playing daggerfall mostly to just to the soundtrack

It can be. I couldn't get into it again but if you are willing to put in time or whatever its a unique experience. I assume he is talking about oldschool runescape as well

just make some throwaway bandcamp or something. You've got the right sound for DS ambient

thousands of great public domain pictures. you have to dig around a bit to find more medieval themes pictures but its worth it

flickr.com/photos/britishlibrary/page1

I'm surprised Dungeon Synth was large enough to be a scene in the 90s. How did the musicians find out about it?

Advise on making dungeon synth? I have one of those cheesy sounding yamaha keyboards. How do I make it sound lo fi?

I don't know exactly but I saw my buddy put some stuff through audacity to sound like some old am radio shit. But I know you can use YouTube to figure out how to lo-fi.

What sort of scales and modes should I use? Should I actually look up medieval theory?

The Dorian mode

d-d on the white keys on a piano is D Dorian.

You should just analyse what DS artists do I guess. Adding real medieval theory might give you an edge but I think the original artists are most closer to just ambient with medieval scales and instruments

listening to it right now, pretty damn good, thanks for the rec

just listened to the whole song of a long forgotten ghost

Mortiis? Varg? is that you

Bandcamp dungeon synth is quality dungeon synth.
isaedor.bandcamp.com/album/the-priests-dungeon-demo

Yeah I agree that theory isn't your priority right now. Just bang away on the keyboard until something sounds right. I think that's a more fun way of doing it