So I'm an oldfag (35) and just bought a high end reciever and speakers. Now that I'm listening to music again...

So I'm an oldfag (35) and just bought a high end reciever and speakers. Now that I'm listening to music again, I'm really looking for what is good. I haven't followed music closely for 10-15 years, so I'm pretty far out of it. I'm going to look through the wiki, but wanted to ask for suggestions.

You all probably get a question like this a lot, so I'll add a reward. I'm go through and listen to albums suggested in this thread, and buy the three that stand out to me the most. If you suggested one of the three, and you leave an email address, I'll send you a $10 iTunes gift card if you want. This may take a day or two.

As a starting point, here are five albums that I consider good:
OK Computer
Good News for People Who Like Bad News
The Mollusk
Lazaretto
Yankee Hotel Foxtrot

Bumping with the speakers I got. Klipsch R28

Bump with receiver

Bump

brokencyde i'm not a fan but the kids like it

Well if you want to test out the sound system get some albums with great production like The Downward Spiral

C H E C C ' D

Good god why.

I have that on CD, didn't even think about checking it out on these. I'll throw that on.

Keep the $10

sorry
attack attack somebody came suddenly

thanks for hte heads up, I'll try this out. Definitely have heard of the band before.

ehhhh, not really what I'm into

blood on the dance floor lets start a riot

Just get this

If you want something with more of an edge after that, the s/t is also really good.

Head to This Is Happening if you want more synths/bloops.

It's also really easy to ignore the EP they released, 45:33, which is just as good as the LPs.

This.
OP you're in for a treat

Scratch that, this one is my recommendation.

Good luck getting back into things, can't imagine it'd be easy after a decade.

Otomo Yoshihide - Anode

I'm listening to QotSA Like Clockwork now and it's fucking awesome. Thanks a ton to And I listened to a little bit here and there, it's just that after college I spent less and less time listening to music. I feel like I missed out on some great albums, and I don't know what's going on in music right now.

if you haven't go get every radiohead album that's come out since OK Computer.

then go listen to interpol, vampire weekend, the national, and el vy,

Radiohead is one of the few bands I've kept up with, and love what they've done. That is one of the few concerts I've gone to since college. It was a great show, probably my favorite concert of all time. I'll check out that other stuff. I've come across VW and remember liking it.

I found LCD Soundsystem on Sup Forums back in 2011 right before James Murphy went on hiatus. They've since been in my top three all-time favorites and are consistently in my top five listened artists on Last.fm.

Couldn't recommend them enough.

Eh, it's a mess desu. We are currently at an age where rock is secondary to both electronic music and hip hop in both popularity and production quality. I don't even know what to recommend mate, quite sure you'd dig the first two albums by Tame Impala, but those come with a hint of 'yeaaahhh duuuuuude far out maaaan'.

(obligatory)

interpol - turn on the bright lights is their best. antics is good too.
the national takes a while to get into, but they are just amazing really. they've had 3 straight amazing albums. start out with trouble will find me, because it's accessible, but boxer is their first great album.
vampire weekend is good, a little too pretentious and poppy sometimes, but still very very good.

if you're a radiohead fan tho it's impossible not to be spoiled. they are simply unmatched imo.

Yeah, VW is a little light, but it's fun sometimes. I saw them at a Lollapalooza years ago and it was a fun show.

Whatever you do, don't take the bait that Arctic Monkeys are any good now, they're a meme, don't waste your time with anything released after Humbug.

Switched to LCD Soundsystem after a few QotSA tracks. Also a great album (SoS).

I'm keeping a list of all the suggestions that come up. Honestly was expecting more trolling, but you all are actually helpful - so thank you.

yeah you can just send it to [email protected] thanks

A few recommended starter LCDSS tracks:

1. All My Friends
2. Home
3. Dance Yrself Clean
4. I Can Change
5. Someone Great

No problem. Sup Forums is a pretty big shithole, but we've never failed to give decent recs.

If you want some lo-fi/folky stuff, I'd recommend Logic Songs by Little Kid, Mount Eerie by The Microphones, and Sauna by Mount Eerie

I listened to this a bit. Is it just too good for me to understand it? The first track sounded like someone dropped a drum kit, the rest of the tracks were basically silence.

>I feel like I missed out on some great albums
Not really. Nothing super solid has come out.

If you like The Mollusk you might check out At War With The Mystics by the Flaming Lips. Killer production, similar psychedelic vibe. Won a Grammy for best engineering.

Also check out El Camino by the Black Keys. Some catchy songs and a blend of old school sonics plus cutting edge mixes. Classic rock guitars plus hip hop lows... Should give your new system a workout.

As far as what's going on in music... The industry collapsed along with CD sales and overall revenues, so labels can't afford to groom bands from farm league to minors to major leagues like they used to.

No big new bands have come out for the past 10 years. It's all pop, EDM, hip hop. An indie trend came and went -- banjos and foot stomps -- and the latest "adult alternative" thing is to try to sound like a 60s soul group.

All the electric guitar music migrated to Nashville. So a lot of "country music" now sounds like butt rock with hip hop beats.

Bands are out, laptop producers are in. More economical that way.

seconding the black keys. brother is a great album if you're into simple, bluesy throwbacks. it's nothing amazing but it's enjoyable.

also try out Tame Impala - Currents

one of the most important albums released in the past decade

This is a good album, OP.

Thanks anons. I'm heading to bed but I'll add these to my playlist tomorrow morning.

Alligator is a bit sad. I also recommend listening to it at night.

check out their earlier albums too. rated r and songs for the deaf are even better than like clockwork.