Jazzfags and non-theoryfags will defend this

>jazzfags and non-theoryfags will defend this

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikiquote.org/wiki/John_Cage
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>he can't recover a "wrong note" into a beautiful melody while improvising
kys

define "wrong note"

Well, I know you're steering shit up. but he's correct. It's like saying there's a wrong apple. Wrong for what exactly?
Plus what this user said. There's hardly anything that you can't make right by adding context later.

That's true but another component of art is intention. If the notes you used convey the idea you wanted, well, they're the perfect notes.

For example, if you wanted to convey chaos you'd smash randoms notes rather than have a beautifully arranged melody.

pretty sure the people it matters to, expert musicians, would disagree

they didn't spend years studying scales, key relativity, transposing etc. to play bum notes

What if you hit the wrong note live?
see this post
I guess what you say mostly applies to composers.

its only a wrong note if you didnt mean to play it cause that just shows bad musicianship. otherwise its all fair game.

if it sounds good it is good

"I certainly had no feeling for harmony, and Schoenberg thought that that would make it impossible for me to write music. He said, 'You'll come to a wall you won't be able to get through.' I said, 'Well then, I'll beat my head against that wall.' I quite literally began hitting things, and developed a music of percussion that involved noises." - John Cage

"We don't make mistakes, we just have happy accidents." - Bob Ross

A sour note played weakly is wrong, but a sour note played with confidence is adding your own touch.

ive come to terms with realizing that music theory is just a way to describe things, not a rulebook. everybody makes up their own music theory anyway

Good job for wrapping your head around that incredibly obvious concept

Literally everyone knows this

its definitely not obvious to most people when theres plenty of good musicians that go their whole lives trying not to learn it

BTW that doesn't mean you shouldn't study traditional music theory. Musicians still need to communicate with each other, and Western music theory can describe basically anything

but "good" musicians is all they'll ever be

unless you're Jimi Hendrix and single handedly revolutionizing guitar, you will never reach a respected standard without knowing theory

Didn't Hendrix study some jazz theory later on in his career? Or did he really just write that shit. I mean, as points out, he obviously had his own personal conception of music theory. I've skimmed his biography written by his brother a few times, and I know he knew his shit, but did he really never have any formal knowledge?

>single handedly revolutionizing guitar
I'm pretty sure Hendrix used two hands to play guitar

your suspicions seem to be confirmed by this picture

This doesn't prove anything. This could easily be a shop. Did you ever see him play with both hands with your own eyes? Can you even trust your own eyes?

i think one of the reason that people try not to learn theory is all of the snobbery that seemingly comes along with it

He was probably just seeing what it was like to play with two hands. As you can by his expression, he thinks it's idiotic.

No kind of formal study or tutoring ever iirc

Not to say he wasn't knowledgable, musically gifted brains can easily work out themselves the principles of how different notes and chords interact to sound pleasant and the implications of transposing those notes. Jimi will always be remembered as the best guitarist ever, but also he was a cognitive genius

>What the fuck this feels weird
>Why the fuck would you ever play with two hands
>fucking plebs

He's right though. There are no 'wrong' notes.
But there are notes that if you play them, you are likely to lose the interest of many listeners.

It's almost impossible to play music for more than x number of weeks/months/years without learning some theory, especially in social settings.

Think of all the jams Hendrix was a part of - I'm sure at some point or another someone called out a key, asked him to play the IV again or told him how much they dug what he was doing in a certain mode.

It's pretty much inevitable that you're going to develop some real understanding of why the things you're doing work like they do and what common terms you can use for these things when talking about them with other people. That's theory.

I'm now imagining Hendrix being so confused in one of his first jams when some asks him to play some chord progression

This is true. It annoys me though when people obsess over theory to the point that it sucks any basic emotional enjoyment out of music. Good musicians can find a satisfying balance.

John Cage is not that good desu

Can that even be a real quote? Schoenberg of all people thought that not having an ear for harmony would make it impossible to write music?

>

en.wikiquote.org/wiki/John_Cage

>Good musicians can find a satisfying balance

are you seriously using hendrix as your argument for that? lel

depends what musicians want to do with their skills I guess. you could play in a band or just jam for fun easily, but the prestigious stuff like session or orchestra work will certainly demand strong theoretical knowledge

What kind of barebones elitism is this? A musician can't be considered good unless they are a classically trained member of a "prestigious" music institution? FOH.

it's called the real world pal

there's a lot of musicians vying for any work they can get out there. and in the two fields I mentioned, there is absolutely zero tolerance for unprofessional cock ups, so they obviously hire the best they can

Don't worry user, most freshman music majors get over their pretentious phase in time.

Sure hope so. Wouldn't even know where to begin with this one ()

t. jk simmons in whiplash