Sup Forums, what synth should I buy?

Sup Forums, what synth should I buy?
Any brand, preferably Korg or Roland.
Used if needed.
Something poly and analog that I can use to record directly into my DAW, also lots of wave shaping would be nice. ty bb

pic related maybe?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=bwRCMDn8fFc
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLo_QLXocw-mv4TuIvWOgZ86zRDOcrYXFZ
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

new minilogue

The MS20 is mono.

Get the Minilogue if you don't want to spend over a thousand. I think the best poly analog synth for a reasonable price is the Prophet 08 but it's pretty expensive for most.

roland juno is a good choice. But if you're not playing live, you can just get a soft synth. It'll be cheaper and perfectly functional.

I had a MS20 mini and it's fantastic for dirty, noisy monosynth sounds (this thing can really growl and squeal, the filters are fantastic) and the patchbay is great for experimentation but you'll get far more mileage out of the Minilogue even if it is essentially more basic with its modulation. Plus you want a poly so the Minilogue is where it's at.

I've got a Prophet 08 myself and I would recommend it 100 times but as the other guy said, it's expensive. If you can't afford one you could try getting a Tetra module which is like half a Prophet (4 voices) but with added sub oscillators.

What kind if synth should I get for chill ambient styles of playing?

I want something that'll give me those glassy sine notes heard on Kid A's title track.

According to the King of Gear website, a Prophet 5 was used on Kid A (the track) so the closest you would get hardware-wise would be a Prophet 08 (which the band use for the track live) or a Creamware Pro 12 which is a analog modelling Prophet 5 clone. It's no longer in production so check eBay.

I was given an Arp Odyssey. I have no clue how to use it. Can someone point me in the right direction? So far I've hooked it up to an amp through a guitar cable but that's it. I know literally nothing about synths

Actually it seems that Thom uses the Prophet 08 for the vocodered vocals on Kid A live so now I'm not so sure.

Check out Marc Doty's fantastic series on the Odyssey

youtube.com/watch?v=bwRCMDn8fFc

Full series playlist
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLo_QLXocw-mv4TuIvWOgZ86zRDOcrYXFZ

I know that Radiohead and James Blake use the Prophet 08; what makes it superior to something like the Minilogue besides having more keys?

This might sound dumb but I have never owned an analog synth, I know the basics about arpeggiators and all the knobs and shit

Greater polyphony (8 voices), bi-timbrality (either split or stacked) more modulators and much deeper modulation routing.

The synth you are looking for is a Korg Poly-800.

Shhhhhhh.

If you are a looking for affordable synths

Moog Sub37 or Sub Phatty for mono, tons around second hand check eBay. Got my Sub Phatty for around £500 on eBay.

Behringer are bringing out a modded and updated Juno type analog poly, but you are gonna have to menu dive with that.

Volcas are also fun and cheap, the coolest one is the FM, but that is not analog.

If you have an unlimited budget grab something awesome like an old Prophet or something and go all John Carpenter.

Do you even need a real synth to record good sounds for electronic music or can you just use a midi keyboard and get a bunch of dope shit to use in ableton

Honestly seems like the same sort of difference between a $1000+ record player/stereo/speaker setup and paying $20+ each for records when you could just drop a few hundred for good speakers and play FLACs from a laptop

why the shhhh?

Because this is one of those synths that could easily double or triple in price once new people find out about it, just like the juno-60 did about 5 years ago.

also, look up the "moog slayer mod" if you're handy with a soldering iron.

If your only requirements are that it's analog and poly then the volca keys will be the best bang for your buck

Softsynths are so good these days you really don't NEED a hardware synth anymore. Doubt analog purists could tell a difference between Diva and whatever the hardware equivalent of that is.

Hardware synths are good imo because they're cool as hell to own and you don't need a computer to use them.

For a beginner I would actually recommend a hardware synth so you get a hands on experience of what all the knobs do, rather than clicking on areas of a screen with a mouse (and more likely, clicking through presets).

But if your goal is to purely make good sounding synth songs then all you really need is an MIDI controller with some nice softsynths...

I doubt it. The Poly 800 isn't a 'true' polyphonic synth. It's paraphonic, ie. each voice shares the same envelope generator, amp and filter.

minlogue,

The Diva is a nice sounding synth, they should make a hardware version.

Also it doesn't sound very good. It's ultra cheesy which is fine if that's what you're after but if you're making anything other than 80s throwback stuff you might as well give up.

?

It's a fucking synthesizer, you can make it sound all kinds of different ways, ya dingus.