twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Go Gibson or go home

Reposting:

Post your pedal board and have other guess what you play

You know it

shills

Need advice.

Dad rock/grunge

You are the indie dude with the beige tolex amp and a telly?

looks bretty good

If it plays good and sounds good go for it. I'm assuming you've played it, did you like it?

discord.gg/ZxQj2
Join if you are interested in making music join.
Looking for a drummer or bassist
Everyone welcome.

Nope, only seen the pics in the online marketplace. I'll see if I can play it.

Just check for neck whip too,

>The instant invite is invalid or has expired.

Buy it. The Andy timmons pickup is good shit.

New link, sorry. discord.gg/8ZV5E

crazy math rock?

I only own 4 pedals but I use my mate's korg DME 40x sometimes.

I'm hoping to eventually get a shredmaster type distortion, a reverb (possibly the cathedral) and some sort of very choppy tremolo. And maybe a phaser.

Got it in one, I've even got my Small Clone on the way, I cant make out all your pedals, what are they?

Nope, I'm the Ethan dude, with the Blackstar and the Squier

>posting in crazygaga's thread

why

>piles cables over one pedal for the photo
>"that one's my secret weapon." :^)

shoegaze? I'm guessing based on the big muff, what looks like a DD7 and a pitch shifter

WHERE ARE YOU KIKE?!?!?!

>shugazi pedalboards

kys lads

kill yourself dramafag

The ones that you can't see
Dod autowah
Dod detuner
Dod whooshymajig
Boss repeater 6
Cocktron tremolohno

That picture is from weeks ago, I picked the wrong one. What's a shoegaze?

>dramafag
that's a new one

where is this coming from?

Tfw steinberg ripped off gibsons no headstock design

Gibson guitars come with a free built-in vibrato because their tuning stability is so shitty

I've never owned a Jazzmaster before until I recently bought a Squier VM Jazzmaster and it's very nice, I plan on upgrading it quite a bit. The only thing, I don't know how to take the tremolo arm off for when I need to. Can anyone explain how? I feel like if I pull too hard I'll damage the guitar. Thanks.

Epiphonies come with a dirt setting. Turn up the the tone and hear your guitar scream, no playing necessary.

How do I get my head around rhythm? I want to be able to play fusion/progressive, but rhythm is kind of a difficult concept to grasp to me. How do you progheads do it?

So if I want to start recording stuff, and I already have a good tube amp and drumset, should I just get a mic and try to mic my amp and drumset? Or will that sound like shit if I don't have a studio/multiple mics and stuff?

If I get an interface and use digital effects/drums, would that sound better? I'm assuming not

sorry if this is rambly, i'm on adderall

"fusion/progressive" is kind of a very broad range. what stuff specifically do you want to try to play?

both genres are obviously known for virtuosity though, shit is hard

>The only thing, I don't know how to take the tremolo arm off for when I need to. Can anyone explain how? I feel like if I pull too hard I'll damage the guitar.

Goddamn honestly Squier fucked up when marketing offsets to newbies.

Just pull it out you faggot.

I want to be able to play in the same style as Dream Theater, Guthrie Govan. Complex time signatures, complex rhythms. Shit's hard, but goddamn doesn't it sound good.

Your best off seeing if there is a cheap recording studio near by, Theres one my band practises in and they charge us £10 an hour but we're student and take the hours they cant fill

mic on your cabinet can actually sound pretty decent as it is, good enough for demoing, and the advantage is that you get the sound of your stack, not some VST plugins that are made to sound like it.

that'll be plenty good enough for demoing but if you want studio quality prepare to spend a lot for a long time.

regardless of whether you're recording a dry track or the sound of your cab you're going to need an interface so just get one.

I don't know about drums, can't help you there.

you just take it out you fucking moron

You can get great sounding takes from only 4 mics, kick, snare, overheads. You can get decent sounding stuff with 2. If your room sounds bad then your recordings will sound bad.

Mics help, but if your room is horrible even neumanns won't help you.

If you're just starting out try an sm57 for guitar and kick, and maybe an md421 for snare and as an alternative guitar mic. Maybe, actually, get a matched pair of condensers for overheads and a dynamic for kick.

>last thread still up
>some narcissistic autistic Israeli avatarfag trying to 404 it

sage

>what is a bump limit?

>300 posts
>bump limit
not on this board friendo

demoing is really all i'm trying to do at the moment, so that's good.

what do you mean when you say that i'll need an interface anyway? to run the mic through?

yeah i've been trying. one of my friends is in this audio program at his school and he gets like free access to his school's studio so that seems like a sweet deal. just seems like all studios are stupidly expensive

i know embarrassingly little about mics actually (and gear in general if i'm being honest, i've been solely playing through a clean channel and practicing technique for like 10 years now). i'm gonna look up the differences between a condenser and a dynamic mic, but when you say that i need 2, would one go above the drumset and one would go inside the little hole in the kick?

it's strange just how crazily important production and recording are to the sound of a record, but how little most musicians know about it. like when you listen to early and discarded studio sessions or demos from a particular band and it just sounds so totally different/shitty. and it's not even the music, it's just how it was recorded.

this comes to mind: youtube.com/watch?v=YS27RAXhBWQ

it's not bad, but the final album version has such a different feeling

>neck whip
What is it exactly and how do I check it?

i haven't listened to any dream theater, but yeah some of guthrie's stuff sounds hard time signature wise. wonderful slippery thing sounds pretty straightforward rhythmically though, right?

It's not, it's 310 doofus

>wonderful slippery thing
It is pretty straightforward rhythmically, but I think that could be the MOST straightforward song in his whole catalog(Not counting his work with Steven Wilson). Dude loves his odd time meter riffs.

yeah i admittedly haven't listened to much of his stuff

You should man, if you are into progressive that is. Even if you are not, give it a try, you won't regret it. Govan and Dream Theater would be great starters to dive into such an amazing genre of music.

i like older prog like KC and Yes and all that stuff, but yeah i'll definitely check it out

Under a glass moon by Dream Theater would be a great first song.

I love me some KC and Yes. Gotta thank Jojo as well for instroducing a lot of people to them lol.

And no, I did not vacuum yet.

who's jojo

Beginner here , how long does it take to learn a chord?

Kc and jojo

>been lurking /gg/ for months out of curiosity
>want to start playing guitar
>went to Guitar store today
>was there for hours
>trying different shit
>finally settled on pic related

I just need an amp now, any recommendations?

ah it's joke

1 minute

budget

200 bong pounds.

Yamaha thr

Nice, you did the right thing. Trying things out. Learn something on your guitar and do the same for amps.

Solid states are cheaper and lighter, they sound better at low volumes.
Get one that's loud enough to do what you need to do, rather that be a stereo or a drum set. Probably just a stereo if you're new. Try a bunch, if you want to use distortion get one with a distortion channel. Much easier, more convenient, and cheaper than getting into pedals early.

neck whip is basically having a neck too thin/not strong enough to withstand the string tension.
just pull on it, you may notice a slight vibrato, if so that's not too bad but if you see like the strings going downward, definitely do not buy that guitar as it'll have to be setup too often.

>I am trying to understand rhythm to make my licks a bit more interesting(I want to play progressive rock/metal). What is your approach to understand simple to complex rhythms/time signatures? I am legit interested. I wouldn't mind an essay answer as well.
There are two main components of odd meters.
One is the simple mathematic component.
Two is the groove.

Unfortunately I'm kinda bad at groove, all I can tell you is that it mostly lies on syncopation, stops and a general band feeling (as in for instance, having the bassist "locked in" with the drummer)

But the math component is "easy".
As you've seen, time signatures are written as ratios. In order for the measure to be complete, you need to fill it with notes. And here, there's no particular rule, even though a 6/8 measure will be traditionally divided into two groups of three and a 3/4 measure into three groups of two, nothing's actively forcing you into filling it a particular way.
Now as to what "filling it" means, it's the math part. You're just adding/multiplying different fractions to make an equation come true. Like "one 1/4th note, four 1/8 notes and one 1/4 rest is equal to 4/4"

Another great tool is subdividing the meter into different, "smaller meters". Like 5/4 being 2/4 and 3/4 together.

Adam Neely's lesson on that is quite useful too.
youtu.be/_K6_kPKtix4

Also start simple with odd meters. 10/8, 7/8, 9/8 can take you quite far alone without being too complex to jam.

How long should I spend learning a chord before moving on to the next one. The beginner website that's in the OP doesn't say.

Learn G, C and D, they work together. Practice switching between them.

Also, learn E, A and B, they also work together.

Thanks a lot man. I wasn't expecting that question to get answered at all. I will check out Adam's lesson as well. Time to become a prog god.

Don't learn just one at a time, learn a bunch of them together.

And always remember to use your imagination when playing too

Oh so I learn a group of them at a time? How long do you say I should spend on learning them before moving on?

There isn't a set time. just do it until you are comfortable with switching chords while holding a consistent rhythm

JUST FUCK OFF YOU ASSHOLE NO ONE LIKES YOU KILL YOURSELF

This.

If you're not playing it cleanly you need to practice. If you have to think about whether you've got it down then you need to practice. If you can play cleanly with confidence, you should still practice it but it doesn't need to be your focus.

Thanks anons

are there any repercussions to selling my soul to get better at guitar

You don't have to, but learning them together will give you context., and something to play around with. Most of the basic chords are easy to play, it's switching between them that trip people up.

>that post
>trips
>flip them upside down
A lot of the stuff successful musicians do are sins, damned if you do damned if you dont.

andertons.co.uk/p/VT40X/combo-amps/vox-valvetronix-vt40x-10-40w-combo-amplifier
If you can find 30 quid more or this model used somewhere then it's a great beginners tool. There is a sub-£200 version but 8" speakers are for twats desu.

I can't play without it buzzing .really pressing down next to the frets and I mean really hard, what could be wrong and how much would it cost to fix it?

My guess is any genre that ends with the word metal, and nice Throne Torcher, is the Abominable electronics stuff worth it? Its real pricey gear

It could be several thing:
1. maybe another part of your hand is touching the string

2. Maybe the action of the guitar (the distance from the fret-board) is too low.

Try this before making the action higher though:
Try to play so that the string will vibrate sideways, instead of up&down. that should cure some of the fretbuzz if fretbuzz is your problem

>my trips
holy shit did I just sell my soul

No you did the opposite, it's upside down - you bought the soul of the devil

>Try to play so that the string will vibrate sideways, instead of up&down.
what do you mean by this

ignore everything that tripfaggot says

sometimes beginners play by pushing the string upwards and then letting it fall down. using this technique, while it's actually desirable in some applications, makes fretbuzz more likely.

Try to bend the string sideways when you make it vibrate, it will make fretbuzz much less likely

can somebody inform as to why trips are even allowed to exist for more than one thread? i genuinely don't understand. it literally goes entirely against the idea of an anonymous imageboard

is there something bad about him?

Picked this up n.i.b. for $20. Did I do good?

Make sure your pushing down in between the frets, also remember to push down with the bare minimum force to produce the sound, might be the action, take it to your local guitar store and ask them to adjust it, also ignore tripfags

Sup Forums is a place for faggots, no matter how non-faggoty they made the interactions with this site people would still find away to gay it up

Tripfags in general are drama whores, don't reply to them

no idea, they should change it.

Fucking nice. What can I do with it

A snark is only $10 more.

bretty good looking for $20, those digits are a lot more appealing tho

If it helps you tune your guitar accurately, for just 20$ you did well

Nah, he's cool. We just have some new dramafags in /gg/ that don't realize crazyaga has been around for a while now.
Yes. Mechanical needle bounce = now you can tune to the attack of the note rather than the decay. Congratulations, you'll actually be in tune unlike most guitarists.

You can shred sick guitar solos, but your going to piss blood from now on sooo....

Nice try crazyaga

Hitler was in power for years, he never got better if you became familiar with who he was.

fuck off cunt we know its you

>OBSESSED

I hate to have to tell you this but Crazyaga isn't nearly as bad as any of you. If he's cancer you guys are full blown A.I.D.S.

FYI