youtube.com/watch?v=F9KdIHNtzNw
clyp.it/1v511h4c
soundcloud.com/user-705039562/sets/haugbui
youtube.com/watch?v=4ChmSRKf94k
youtube.com/watch?v=egpe34BNJuE
youtube.com/watch?v=2cpXpgjUT2k
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

It's snowing and I'm in heaven.

Damn that looks pretty cool I'll check it out.

It's more folk than dungeon synth honestly, but it's a brilliant combination of the two. Apparently Erang worked on it, so you know it's going to be brilliant.

youtube.com/watch?v=YM8ZMY6ZCYo
whoever told me to check this out, thanks this is rad

soundcloud.com/free_horse/forest-march

How do I make better dungeon synth? I feel like this isn't synthy enough, but I'm better at guitar so I had to throw it in there.

this is bizarre

>random ds debut with no label
>$5+ asking price
how the fuck are people this delusional?

Haven't checked it out yet but Balam are apparently on the same label or something and was recommended them.

???

seriously, do you really think people in 2016 besides your family and friends are just going to pay money for the great privilege of hearing your masterpiece?
if you want to get any kind of following then you need to make your shit free and put it everywhere, that's how it works now
on bandcamp use name your price

no one is going to pay $5 for an only pretty good album from a totally unknown ds artist who hasn't released any other work yet.
>balam
oh shit these guys look neato, will check out, thanks. These are LLN guys right?

>paying for dungeon synth ever

>not supporting artists you like
cancer

youtube.com/watch?v=qd-Fyq35Few

god damn this shit is good

Yeah, but who would like someone who makes dungeon synth and then puts a price tag on it? It's a super niche bedroom genre that literally anyone can make, can't we just enjoy that for what it is without trying to turn everything into a product? If you want to make dungeon synth, make dungeon synth. It's just silly to expect to make any income off of this.

This is a cool idea that's poorly executed. That guitar sounds like Captain Beefheart or something.

Thank fucking Christ someone made the /dsd/ thread again. I was getting lonely in /metal/ without you fuckers.

How do I execute it better?

youtube.com/watch?v=F9KdIHNtzNw

Tolkien synth > Tolkien metal
>with some exceptions

I don't really know how to talk about theory but maybe use phrases that aren't so bluesy? Something that sounds more epic with either more distortion or echo, sounds too dry and boring. Not sure about the synth. It sounds fine but its nothing special. But I'm also a sucker for guitar so that's just what stood out for me.

What is your dungeon synth moniker /dsd/?

don't play live instruments if you are going for dungeon synth unless you are going for something innovative. and what the fuck was with the blues rock guitar solo I almost feel as if you are trying to troll with that

>some exceptions
darn tootin

I wonder if Sup Forums will end up creating a new wave of dungeon synth if enough people here start making it

naturally user

I've been getting more into MM lately, I used to find the low fidelity off putting but now I think it's very palatable. MM -> DG -> NF is their best run of albums imo.

what are some medieval instruments used in DS?

flute, trumpet, kettledrum, harpsichord, harp, vocal samples, violins?

Daggerfall has a pretty great DS soundtrack

The guitar solo was for a little bit of fun

Temple of Ancients and this are fucking masterpieces, what happened to Erdstall?

you could have at least done the solo in Dorian mode

who do you think started the thread?

Well played user

Yeah dorian seems to be the go to mode when composing dungeon synth.

seems like the jaw harp gets used from time to time

I've been meaning to get into Daggerfall for a while. Seems fun, but OSRS has taken up most of my free time as of lately, which also has an incredible DS soundtrack.

Is the point of Runescape basically just to level up skills forever?

pretty much

A lot of people who play, seem to do it purely just to be as good as possible and not waste time when training their skills. Which is fine, since Runescape is a huge game with tons of stuff to do. Personally, though I find the quests to be tons of fun and really enjoyable, with or without a guide. There is a lot more too Runescape than just the "grind" part of it, but even training skills is usually fun unless it's something tiring like runecrafting or agility.

How long should my dungeon synth album be?

For a ds album, usually around 28-35 minutes is good by my estimation.

Thanks man

ds eps typically run from around 10-20 minutes, albums usually around 25-40, however that period inbetween 20-25 is a bit of a grey area, and just around 25 is still a bit iffy. Plus 40 minutes is usually way too long for dungeon synth, I'd say a bit beyond 25 and at max 35 minutes is really safe. The most important aspect is if the music is good though, don't forget that. Doesn't matter what length it is if it sucks lol.

That would be telling. I was making dungeon synth before it was called dungeon synth. I would like to release new stuff, but I am unsure of whether or not I should make my previous identity known.

There is little psychic connection between this current music and the best known of my old names, as the ritual nature is entirely different. I feel like if I made my old name known, it would be 'selling out' to get attention for new shit.

How does /dsd/ feel about this?

Bodhran, zither, psalter, darbouka, sitar. Also, since it is synthesized/sampled, I have always enjoyed the sound of dwarf-sex (hammer on an anvil).

It is difficult as hell to be recognised for any music, let alone dungeon synth. Make your old name known.

were you a famous ds maker? You don't have to give your identity, I just want to know if we have a celeb in our threads. I only think it would be selling out if you're making music for money rather than for the sake of art.

I'm not famous, not a celeb. I'm a massive faggot, so I like to think of myself as 'kvlt'. I ran a black metal tape label out of my parents basement and dorm room from the mid 90s to early 2000s, had some releases on other labels.

I reckon my previous identity will come to light eventually. I'm just torn on mentioning it from the get go, which feels like 'selling out'.

Part of me feels like I'm just trying to do shit the hard way, part of me feels like the past is a dead and buried secret known only to those who can read the signs.

Bumping pic related while passing out. Pretty comfy.

Didn't realize how small that one is, my bad.

TOOT TOOT

None of this involves synths, it involves sampling and lots of pitch-shifting and effects, so technically it's industrial/wagnerwave but I feel it fits the atmosphere quite well.

clyp.it/1v511h4c

tell me what you think of it

Arathgoth also made a sci-fi themed album btw

bump!

Obligatory chart for beginners.

Bump

bump

>posting soundcloud in a thread that is neither of the soundcloud threads
fresh dungeon synth

soundcloud.com/user-705039562/sets/haugbui

Why should I listen to anything else when there was Mortiis?

If you want an album that'll blow your mind

Because second wave DS is getting more and more experimental.

by "psalter" did you mean psaltery user?

I'm working on some dungeon synth and incorporating some bowed psaltery, which is why I ask. Also,

>dwarf-sex

why not release some new stuff without making your identity known at the start? if at some point it feels necessary to do so, then go for it

anyone have some good lo-fi piano-oriented dungeon synth? I'm pretty new to the genre and remember really liking some stuff like that another time I checked one of these threads. also, is there such a thing as drone dungeon synth?

Yes, there is drone DS. Check out Erdstall and Abandoned Places.

Lamentation Fullmoon Over Faerhaaven has all your piano needs.

>Dungeon Synth threads outliving the Black Metal threads

what dimension is this

yeah thats definitely what he meant.

other than the timpani and tambourine/bells what procussion can I use?

Very little if you want to make even remotely traditional DS.

this is wacky but I kind of dig it. those little solos are very out of place though

I think I rather use some than none at all

something like what lord lovidicus does

sounds mostly like what I said plus some kind of crash symbol
youtube.com/watch?v=4ChmSRKf94k

It would be cool to try some military sounding DS with a kettle drum and snare is what I was thinking on doing

The right dimension. It's Dungeon Synth December, not Black Metal November.

bump

this lady looks pretty Dungeony.

Whats everyones favorite Dungeon?

In Northumbria there is a roman fort called Vinderlander. They found the skeleton of a shackled young girl in there. Pretty cool

not really

if the catacombs count I pick that

found this on reddit

any good?

it would probably just result in something that sounds exactly like martial industrial

yeah. do you find the idea of being inside the catacombs comfy? I do.

Ive been once and I just kept looking at the skulls and asking them questions it was a joke at first but I was on drugs so I had the idea that they would answer me back after a while.

they really arent too different in some cases
youtube.com/watch?v=egpe34BNJuE

yeah I actually like enclosed spaces like caves. the opposite of claustrophobia.

pls rspond

56 hours

dont listen to anyone else

do a 56 hour ds album

its pretty good. I don't like that dripping sound and think the EQ could be played with just a tad.

reminds me of paysage d'hiver or some video game soundtrack

Good call, I've been hooked to Kerker for a year.

Kerker is my favorite Paysage d'Hiver album. It truly sounds like it wasn't made in this world and I love it.

Yeah, listened to it while reading Kafka's "The Burrow", pretty nice experience.

Also it lifted its cover from a Ian Miller illustration and that's always fucking perfect.

It always reminds me of this album which coincidently was made using data that wasn't from this world

youtube.com/watch?v=2cpXpgjUT2k

Actually I'm hesitating a lot about something: I'm simultaneously working on a martial industrial album (without vocals), and on a VBM album, and I'm really not sure which album I should put that song in.

what do you think?

why not just make another similar track but make it more martially with drumming or industrial synth noises or something. Its pretty quick to make those kinds of tracks, you can pretty much just record something cool and then stretch it out 8 minutes

when is wikipedia going to get a Dungeon Synth article. It still lists it as dark ambient and industrial

What are good things to sample in a dungeon synth song?

Did you ever go into the off limits portions? There's some crazy shit down there.

bump

true. I listen to black metal down there every dimanche

is there any chinese/arab/japanese dungeon synth?

yes, Chinese
Enemite

it's a classic

HOLY SHIT

Anyone have a link for Summoning's Discography?

I lost my stuff by them last year