What does Sup Forums think about nine inch nails?

What does Sup Forums think about nine inch nails?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=pVB_DI4ajKA
youtube.com/watch?v=VQu8A_Wjbbc
youtube.com/watch?v=shOc-5FxA3g
youtube.com/watch?v=EdKCVSBrV1I
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

They're awesome. New album when?

I enjoy some of Reznor's stuff. I also hate some of it. I definitely have to be in a pissy mood to listen though.

Fucking love it. But he never topped Pretty Hate Machine

I want to die, but lack the consitution for suicide

>I'VE BECOME SO NUMBBBBBBBBB
they're great

End yourself

here is an interesting question a friend of mine brought up, I've been turning it around in my head

How is nine inch nails any different from literally any other shitty emo band?
>songs about pain, depression etc
>angry, agitated vocal style
>downbeat and discordant song structure

PHM: 9
Burn: 8
TDS: 10
The Fragile: 8
With Teeth: 5
Year Zero: 6
The Slip: 7
Ghosts: 9
Hesitation Marks: 8

Overall one of my favorite bands of all time. I love Trent's soundtrack work too.

General better musicianship and a tasteful blending of pop and more dissonant/complex genres

But yeah Trent's lyrics and vocals have never been anything to write home about

Burn is a song off the natural born killers soundtrack the album you are thinking of is broken

Holy shit I'm retarded

If you think emo and nine inch nails are the same thing, you're either a fucking ignorant/doesn't know about music or just a moron. Kill yourself before you completely embarrass yourself.

NIN is well-composed musically and handles themes in a mature, artistic way as opposed to how shitty emo bands whine about first world problems that any teenage white girl thinks are so intense and deep.

Trent Reznor's Nine Inch Nails changed dramatically the fate of industrial music. Reznor created a persona that was a cross of Dostoevsky's "demons", Goethe's Werther, Nietzsche's "ueber-mensch", and De Sade's perverts. Technically, Reznor took elements from Throbbing Gristle, Pere Ubu, Foetus and Ministry and filtered them through the new computer technology. Reznor thus changed the very meaning of "rock band": the band was him, singer and arranger. Brutal music, nihilistic lyrics and claustrophobic atmospheres turned Pretty Hate Machine (1989) into the manifesto/diary of an entire generation. Few albums better summarize the spirit of the 1990s than The Downward Spiral (1994). Each song is both a battlefield for the highest possible density of truculent sound effects and a largely-autobiographical ode-psychodrama. The thundering polyrhytms, the chaotic and cacophonous orgies, the grotesque "danse macabres", the chamber blues pieces, the harsh counterpoints, the mournful melodies were carefully assembled to deliver the sense of a man without a past or a present or a future, a man who was a pure abstraction in search of meaning, pure form in search of content. Reznor retreated towards a simpler format, albeit using the same tools (psychotic screaming, killer synths, metallic percussions, brutal distortions), on the double album Fragile (1999). Reznor showed that he was not interested in angst for the sake of angst, and cared more for meditation on his own angst; that he was not indulging in insanity but merely puzzled by it.

I'd argue that the music itself gives off an atmosphere that is more focused on pain and self-loathing, which means it doesn't come off as whiny. I'm no fan of NIN, but the sound impacts how the lyrics come across.

Top 3 NIN tracks everybody?

>Sin
>Hurt
>March of the Pigs

>Into the Void
>The Only Time
>Ruiner

(you)

:o)

>Terrible Lie
>Hurt
>La Mer

>The Great Below
>Leaving Hope
>Ruiner

All of them usually give me chills every time I listen.

Butt rock

>And all that could have been
>The Great Below
>Reptile

>Reptile
>The Way Out Is Through
>Demon Seed

It comes down to one thing.

Do you want to listen to an album with a track titled "Starfuckers Inc." on it?

I can take or leave his music depending on the album, but I respect Reznor a good deal. Has a pro-fan stance to music as a whole - telling people to steal his stuff, having an oink account and praising the site, etc.

With Teeth is underrated as shit, I like it more than anything else after it.

Reptile
Just Like You Imagined
Ringfinger

Actually I take that back, I like Right Where it Belongs better than Ringfinger.

I like his instrumental stuff the most.
Soundracks>htda>ghosts>nin

With_Teeth is great when you consider the whole album is the anthropomorphize version of his addictions.

The Only Time
I'm Looking Forward to Joining you, Finally
The Becoming

>Just Do It
>Slide To the Dark Side
>Sex Dwarf

youtube.com/watch?v=pVB_DI4ajKA

Just three? How the fuck do I do this? Shit.
>Reptile
>The Great Below
>And All That Could Have Been

Fuck that was hard

Pretty Hate Machine - 6
Broken - 8
the Downward Spiral- 10
the Fragile - 9,5
With Teeth - 7,6
Year Zero - 7,5
Ghosts - 8
The Slip - 8,5
Hesitation Marks - 9

It has become literally the only band I have listened to in this year. I adore every album.

It's a good song tho.

You guys ever hear this song? Talks a little shit about Trent but the songs not bad.

youtube.com/watch?v=VQu8A_Wjbbc

Actually, the context is different. The song apparently has nothing to do with Trent, artist did not apparently like the video clip

(On finger)

Holy shit are you me?

Come on Reznor, Strobe Light when?

2 questions:

Does the "nails" part refer to hardware nails, or like fingernails?

Does anyone refer to them as "nin" in real life? Or "enn eye enn"?

I liked when Trent toured with Bowie, otherwise I've always been more of a Konietzko guy in terms of industrial sound

Reznor said he chose the name because it sounded cool and was easy to abbriviate.

People say NIN, I guess, but I think that's mostly a younger fan thing. Me I just say Trent Reznor because he's the only one making the music.

tfw fucking jaded gen-Xers hated that Reznor would frequently give top billing to fucking David Bowie

Holy shit I didn't even see your post before I posted mine, I just went over each album from NIN discography and looked at my best songs across all albums and then picked three best favorites from that.

They performed during each other's sets anyway, Bowie doing backing vox on Hurt was pretty good

and it led to good shit like I'm Afraid of Americans and various Reznor remixes

bum for my favorite artist of all time

I agree with this list.

The Social Network > Gone Girl

What about his newest score on the BeforeThe Flood?

Love "Minute To Breathe" strong Fragile vibes

>Mr. Self Destruct
>Sin
>The Wretched

>His soundtrack work
Holy shit this! My favorite vidya of all time has always been Quake and one of the greatest things about that game was the soundtrack.

Fuck yeah, it felt like I was playing The Downward Spiral: The Game, I imagined it like I was deep inside the protagonist mind while The Downward Spiral was taking place.

I really dislike Trent's lyricism and vocals.

I personally love them, especially his vocals, I love how emotional he gets. The lyrics are simple but very relatable and honest and clearly come from the heart.

But we all can agree, even the biggest NIN fans will tell you that the instrumentals are the best part about his music and always was across all his albums and works, there is a reason why he's so great at soundtracks.

>trent reznor with nicole kidman

I liked their first album

u bring me closer to GAWD

But that line is from their second album.

(Broken is an EP)

youtube.com/watch?v=shOc-5FxA3g

>that Awkward feeling when Dave asks you how his Mother hangs up the stockings and you're trying to avoid spilling that Mom and Dad could only afford to raise your little sister post divorce so they shipped you off you your grandparents.

kek

Reznor is my good ol friend, he sings to me when i am angsty.

PHM - 9
Broken - 7
DS - 10
Fragile - 9
With Teeth - 7
Year Zero - 10
Ghosts - 8
The Slip - 9
Hesitation Marks - 7

Favorite Songs:
Ruiner, Reptile, All the love in the world, Lights in the Sky, Ghost 4, Sin, Down with it, The big come down, Somewhat damaged, I would for you, We are in this together, the great destroyer, god given.

Worst Songs:
Suck, Corona Radiata, Copy of A, the line begins to blur

I've noticed that Sup Forums tends to like them. I personally like them. Sup Forums needs to talk about Skinny Puppy, Throbbing Gristle, SPK, Cabaret Voltaire, Ministry, etc. more though.

> WITH A NINE INCH NAIL
> Trent internally: "GOD IS DEAAD"

no, more like: THAT'S WHAT I GET.

Skinny Puppy is such a great band. Will have to check out Throbbing Gristle, SPK and Cabaret Voltaire. I tried to get into Ministry but I really failed at that. That said, I think Al Jorgensen is a pretty rad dude.

I like that Trent has acknowledged he's not really a singer, and that it just sort of had to happen when he started writing Purest Feelings

Lyricswise, he seems to put a lot of feelings into them and I can see why it would bother some. Hesitation Marks was a fantastic step up. It just radiates discomfort and an acknowledgement that no matter what he has to say, he's already said it before over 25 years of work. It's honest, which very few musicians as long lasting as he has been seem to be.

I decided to post into this thread "Conversation With" from Hesitation Marks. It gives a nice insight into Trent's work, specific albums, mostly Hesitation Marks obviously.

youtube.com/watch?v=EdKCVSBrV1I

pretty comfy listen.

here's a reply

when i finally saw NIN on the hesitation marks tour and trent was playing the frail and that moment of realization i had when i remembered the buildup leads into the wretched brought me close to climax then the wretched started and i came

One of my all time favs, I like all of his music but prefer everything from The Fragile and onward.

Their live shows are amazing. Shame I never did go once there,but looking and listening to that "fanmade" live album kinda makes up for it.

NIN has some of the best live shows I have ever seen, sadly I only managed to see them on YouTube, if Trent is gonna tour, I so wanna be on there, sadly my social anxiety might prevent me from that.

Trent in general is pretty honest guy like that, with himself especially, it is what keeps him aboard.