Is this post punk or protopunk?

is this post punk or protopunk?

both

It's Glam Rock

neither
people lump it into both of those categories because they confuse historical/cultural genre categories with formal ones. it's 'punk' in the sense that it came out of the developing new york punk scene/culture, but because not many seem to realise that punk is fundamentally a cultural distinction people feel the need to try and add dumb prefixes because the idea of an early punk band that doesn't have a particular set of formal characteristics seems weird to them.
'punk' isn't a single musical style that bands either came before or after; it's a series of loosely connected rock subcultures that spanned a number of different musical styles. television were a punk band- not 'post' or 'proto', just punk. the best descriptor of their music would honestly be something like art rock- maybe jazz rock or prog at a stretch.

New Wave. Great album

it's suckmydickpunk

It's prog punk

It's punk in the sense that it came from the New York "CBGBs" scene.

it's pseudopostprotopunk

It's not fucking punk at all, they just played CBGB's a ton and got lumped in with that scene.

It's proto-post-punk and post-proto-punk actually

the only reason it's labeled "punk" at all is because richard lloyd can't sing for shit

Why do you have to ruin the thread?

autist

asshole

but it's easier and quicker to say it's post punk because it dissociated itself with the commercial punk bands at the time like the sex pistols.

it's protoprogpostpoppunk

it was proto post-punk before punk

it was proto prog before post pop and after punk

proto-post-punk. i mean this genuinely

I guess Patti Smith wasn't punk either then.

proto-cock-prog-sock. i mean this genuinely

protospiderporkrock. i mean this genuinely

yes

it's just fucking rock

proto-post-punk before punk existed

It's post-proto-punkgaze wave. Fuck, now I really want punkgaze to be an actual thing

Missed the part with Richard Hell then?

I would suggest that it isn't post-punk. Television were certainly an "art punk" band, because of their undeniably progressive take on the genre, but the record didn't push punk in the directions that the movement of post-punk took it: it was arguably the late 70s when post-punk started (with the Sex Pistols disbanding in 78 and Wire and This Heat forming in 76), but if we look at some early post-punk groups such as This Heat, they had a much more experimental sound and range of production techniques, whereas Television were pushing boundaries in the domain of melody and rhythm composition, as opposed to the domain of timbre and production. In a way, Marquee Moon, is "proto-post-punk", for the way it opened doors to the possibility of the punk genre being experimented upon.

The 9gag newfuckery in this post is palatable

This

rock