What's the most powerful movie ever made in terms of atmosphere?

What's the most powerful movie ever made in terms of atmosphere?

Lol, not that one.

White Chicks

sick post m8

Children of Men

Pee Wee Herman's big adventure

this

2001: A Space Odyssey. Not kidding. More visually impressive and atmospheric than Interstellar and not a second of computer generated effects.

Blade Runner

I was about to say clockwork orange and 2001 one for me are tied for best atmosphere, both for different reasons.

The original Solaris.

Alien
Brazil
Barry Lyndon
Twin Peaks for TV

Sunshine was epic until the roasted creepy hermit dude spoiled it.

Synecdoche, New York

I thought Skyfall did, from the intro onward.

Image search not functioning, what movie? Looks like some Boyle or something

The Fountain

lol what a joke

that flick has literally zero atmosphere

its so dry lacking any artistic vision or aesthetic

its one of the most fedora flicks ever

This has to be the most stylish and aesthetic film I have seen. Very moody atmosphere

Mulholland Dr. is atmosphere: the movie

very stupid question, define atmosphere?

Oh, sweet summerchild. k y s

Too bad it sucked overall

0.9% Argon
21% Oxygen
78% Nitrogen

:^)

TDKR

let the right one in
Antichrist
silence of tge lambs
mysterious skin
shutter island

Rope yourself

that's "describe" not define

Captain America Civil War

works perfectly fine

Easily

Tone, mood. Like the spooky feeling during halloween.

This.

What about this one?

It's the most immersive space film ever made. That's what I would say.

>Not 2001

I would've loved to see Kubrick direct a cape movie, either something street-level like Moon Knight, or more high-concept like New Gods.

Would've been interesting, at least.

Correct. 2001 is overrated.

Sicario

Would you rather be overpaid or underrated?

Blade Runner
Silence of the Lambs
Donnie Darko (inb4 edgy/tips fedora)

>Nolan makes a space movie about a father trying to get be back to his daughter
>has less heart and insight into the human condition than a movie that stars a fucking cyclops computer monster

Is Nolan even trying? I honestly think he's a cyborg of some kind, and not even one of the cool ones. All of his characters seem to be either faking love or compassion, or just not displaying any at all.

>lacking any artistic vision
Literally what? You can not like it but Jesus that's just incorrect.

12 Angry Men

Tell me you didn't feel like you were in the same sweaty, cramped room

Years of Messages Scene where Cooper totally breaks down crying was one of the most intense emotional scenes i've ever seen in a movie. You must be trolling?

are you fucking kidding me?

it's one of the most pseudo-intellectual "thinking-man's" film

Nolan movies have never been "powerful" at anything except at being mediocre.

interestellar is choked with CGI. 2001 has none.

Then you've not seen many emotionally engaging movies.

>overrated
literally meaningless

Yeah, but THAT scene is carried entirely by McConaughey's admittedly great performance.

The rest of movie, in terms of narration and character portrayal, watches like a hollow mockery of how real people emotionally react and deal with situations.

Nolan doesn't understand human beings. He's not the first director like that, but by god, is he the one who accidentally perfected it across his filmography.

Why change the subject? You were saying Nolan's movie characters are faking love and compassion, I say they don't. Mcconaughey even admitted that filming some of the scenes left him in tears.

You should absolutely consider suicide

Oh fuck off, I've attended a lecture by the head of vfx on interstellar.

Almost all the spaceship shots were either miniature or life-size replicas for the actors to sit in. TARZ or whatever the robot was had a man sitting behind/in it to do the movements. Most of the environments can be found on earth. All space as seen from inside the cockpit was projected using huge as fuck projectors on set, the actors even claimed they really felt like being in space since they could actually see space instead of Greenscreen.

Get educated before you spout bullshit, but for now you can kindly fuck off.

Not me, I don't give two fucks about CGI.

As for Nolan, the romantic relationships in every last one of his movies are insincere at best(Memento, Inception), or overrstated to cover up the lack of a core at worst (The Prestige, Batman's assortment of fuck buddies)

If you feel an emotional pull to any of Nolan's characters, you can thank the actor portraying them, and certainly not the guy who needs to recharge by plugging into the wall at night.

So Nolan just copied all of Kubricks methods? Nice

Blade Runner obviously

Nolan said WALL-E inspired interstellar

Correct. You are a plebian

Purported to be better than it is. That's what overrated means.

You're welcome!

>nobody posted this yet
Cmon lads

He deserved it.

>time to save the human race is of the essence
>"Hey, here's a planet closely orbiting a black hole, with massive time dilation at its surface!"
>"Mmm-kay, let's go down there."
>"If anything goes wrong down there, a few minutes delay will turn into years.
>"...Also, it's IN CLOSE ORBIT OF A FUCKING BLACK HOLE, the most inhospitable environment in our universe, next to a gamma ray burst. Which would be the most stupid, pointless and dangerous place to attempt to found a new colony for humans."
>"Maybe we should send the robot?"
>"Naw. YOLO. Let's go down there."

Big surprise, stupid decisions have tragic consequences.

Literally nobady will ever top this scene

Leone himself topped it twice in the same movie.

Right, he didn't say it wasn't, he said the term was meaningless.

If you call a film overrated, you're not critically analyzing the film's form and content, but rather audience and critical reception to the film itself. It's a hollow point to push as a "critique" against a work, with no basis in anything that matters to the film.

Also, I personally think anyone who uses the term "overrated" to, in their mind, legitimately "critique" a movie is a brain-dead, hopeless fucking moron who honestly shouldn't be allowed to voice opinions on basically anything of artistic value.

>TGTBTU
>Once upon a time in the west
>Blade Runner
>Tree of Life
>2001

For once Sup Forums was not full plebian

Nobody mentioned Stalker though it's another great one

once upon a time is shit tier compared to good, bad

Saying stupid things on the internet doesn't make you smart, kid.

>copied
Well, the guy's fuckin dead, and how is it an insult to use tried and tested methods to achieve a product? There's nothing new under the sun, and when someone does develop a "new" method of production, wouldn't it be kind of a waste if no one else continued using it to make more and better things for fear of being labelled a copier?

idk why, this scene looks like they actually filmed on the moon

Depends on the genre I guess. You can't compare Interstellar with The Thing or Alien. They don't use powerful visuals but still have powerful atmosphere, if that's really your question.

Or any Ghibli, if animated.

The Road, Mad Max:Fury Road, Gladiator, Master and Commander, Battlefield Earth the list goes on