What should I listen to if I like Cheap Trick and want to branch out from there?

What should I listen to if I like Cheap Trick and want to branch out from there?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=QgXGb-BiU-8
youtube.com/watch?v=7b4uMZgptSk
youtube.com/watch?v=_LDWDctuzaE
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

It depends on the album, a lot of players say their inspiration comes from Rick so that might help, I was pretty much in the opposite situation as you, I'd recommend Anthrax and Poison, both of which take inspiration from Rick's playing

Cheap Trick is one of my favorite bands. I would suggest Big Star, The Knack, The Cars, Dinosaur Jr., Pixies, Nirvana, Harvey Danger, and Fountains of Wayne.

The Replacements too.

What Cheap Trick albums did you listen to? Other than their first four albums and Budokan.. All Shook Up, One On One, and Next Position Please are fantastic albums. I wouldnt listen to anything after that.

The whole lot of them. I liked all up to Next Position Please, and I liked the ones from their '97 S/T onwards. The others were a bit weak.

The Rentals and Weezer also took a lot of influence from Cheap Trick

this. all these bands are fucking great.

Guided by Voices

Enuff Z'Nuff and Paul Gilbert's early solo work

elo
oasis

you know another retro beatle wannabes

Here's an opposite question:
Can anyone describe what Cheap Trick's albums are like, in comparison to each other?

Been meaning to try them out by going through their discography, just wondering what to expect

They started out vaguely punky, but gradually started getting bigger and more bombastic. They were new wave-y in the early '80s before going full fledged AOR in the late '80s and early '90s. Tried their hand at borderline grunge in the mid-'90s before going back to their '70s sound, which they've been doing since.

I've always thought of Cheap Trick as being more like an American version of Slade than anything to do with The Beatles desu

Huh, shit. Sounds like I'll enjoy it. I like new wave and AOR (desu) and some grunge, so I'm guessing it'll be a fun listen.
Thanks!
What do you think about their quality during each of those periods?

Not other user, but they're generally considered to have been really good during the 70s, dipped in quality a bit in the early 80s but still were pretty good, gotten a bit naff from the mid 80s to the mid 90s, then got better again in the later 90s onwards. Most of their albums have at least a few good tracks on them though.

Their '70s output is all essential. The early-mid '80s output is honestly pretty patchy, there's some gems there, but some outright fucking awful stuff as well.

I really like their two AOR albums, though I love Journey, Foreigner, Toto etc., so if you're into that whole thing, you'd like them.

youtube.com/watch?v=QgXGb-BiU-8

Their pseudo-grunge album was shit, but their '97 S/T album and onwards are all good, if not maybe a step down from their initial stuff.

youtube.com/watch?v=7b4uMZgptSk

>Cheap Trick (1977)
Similar to Big Star in that the music is sometimes upbeat and poppy, but the lyrics are dark and suicidal. All 90s alternative rock started with this album.

>In Color (1977)
Somewhat a continuation of their debut, but the production veers their sound towards pop rock a bit. Still nowhere near as poppy as their peers. I Want You To Want Me's production is butchered on this album.

>Heaven Tonight (1978)
Sort of a middle ground between their debut and In Color. Still rough alternative sound. Arguably their peak as a studio band.

>At Budokan (1978)
Listen to the Complete Concert, not the original cut version. Featuring songs from their first 3 albums, and a few off of Dream Police. This album is the reason why people even talk about Cheap Trick to this day.

>Dream Police (1979)
A great attempt to emulate the Beatles in the New Wave era. Still with the same driving guitar from the first few albums.

>All Shook Up (1980)
A farther dip into New Wave territory, bordering on Post Punk at times. Very underrated album.

>One On One (1982)
Another step in the direction of more alternative sounding 80s music (akin to The Replacements, Pixies, etc.). Heavier and louder than Dream Police and All Shook Up.

>Next Position Please (1983)
Full transition into 80s alternative. Sounding a lot like early REM, Dinosaur Jr., Jesus & Mary Chain, etc. This was their last solid effort before succumbing to the 80s MTV pop hysteria, and taking a plunge into mediocrity.

Better than anything from CT

"no"

Yes senpai

Not to shit on Cheap Trick but even the guitar tone from Tom Scholz on that album is superior to anything Cheap Trick.

This is one of the stupidest thing I've ever seen on Sup Forums. Rick Nielsen is renown for his guitar tone. It's one of the biggest reasons why people talk about Cheap Trick (and not Boston).

this. I still cant believe this was 1977. Sounds like 1992.

nobody cares about either band on here

>thread about Cheap Trick on Sup Forums

ive seen plenty threads about boston but nobody apart outside of that thread cares

I see Cheap Trick getting brought up in threads concerning alternative, power pop, and punk rock all the time. Where have you been?

Big Star, The dB's, The Replacements

Cheap Trick is just getting viral marketed lately, Boston is more relevant, and is played on the radio more regularly

More Than A Feeling was viral marketed to death. Boston sounds like the 70s, Cheap Trick sounds fresh.

Dude Cheap Trick are one of the most 70s bands ever alongside Boston
that shit could have only ever happened in the 70s

That's why Cheap Trick sounds like a 90s (having greatly influenced Big Black, The Melvins, Nirvana, and Smashing Pumpkins) band? Even an early 00's band like The Hives, Fountains of Wayne, The Vines, The Sounds, Kaiser Chiefs?

Boston aged like Jigsaw. or Journey at best....

youtube.com/watch?v=_LDWDctuzaE

actually nirvana were influenced by boston too curt even admired to ripping them off on smells like teen spirit

admitted*