I was the victim of a hit and run a few months ago. Lucky for me I got the guy's plate number and, long story short...

I was the victim of a hit and run a few months ago. Lucky for me I got the guy's plate number and, long story short, he was arrested and we are going to court in September. His public defender has been trying to contact me lately to try and reach a civil compromise (i.e. an amount he pays me to agree to drop the suit) because the guy pleaded not guilty.

In my state he'll face up to a year in jail, over $6000 in fines and the revocation of his license when they find him guilty in september. I'd frankly rather not have to go to court, and I think paying a hefty sum to me could serve as enough of a punishment since this guy clearly wants to buy his way out of a criminal conviction. Is $5000 a ridiculous number to ask for, if only just to get negotiations started? What would Sup Forums pay to get out of this?

Other urls found in this thread:

forum.freeadvice.com/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

How bad were your injuries? I just received 100k for a motorcycle accident so 5k seems small.

Bamp

$5

no less than 85k, and he goes to jail regardless. felony hit and run, charges arent yours to pursue. but get a PI lawyer and let hime make his money after he gets you paid. may take 5 years. worth it? it was to me.

Not physically injured, but my car sustained about $1000 worth of damage. His insurance already paid to have it repaired though (because he hid from them for a month) so now this is purely a criminal case... so not sure what's a realistic number

Its based on how much pain and suffering occurred, if you didn't suffer any injury or loss you won't be compensated. He's facing a criminal trial, you'd probably have to sue in civil court to collect any damages from him

good one creative too you even know how to make a dollar sign what a special piece of shit you are

Post your questions here, but you're probably only going to get compensated for loss of companionship for not being able to whack off as they know you are a Sup Forums neckbeard

forum.freeadvice.com/

dont ask first, let them offer first. You are entitled to the damage he did to the car (1k you said) even though his insurance payed for it.so if you can get 5k great. you werent injured at all? sore neck after the hit or anything? that could give you alot more dmgs

I was hoping they'd offer first but the Public Defender just told me to call him if i thought of something. I don't want to do a whole thing where i embellishe an injury or anything, and i don't want to hire a lawyer... in truth I'd be happy knowing he was in jail and could never drive again, but I feel like him paying me ANYTHING is probably the better option

That's a tough one. I got compensated because I got severely fucked fucked up and had to have major surgery. Like someone else said, let them make the offer first. They will most likely try to lowball you so see how badly he wants to stay out of jail.

sounds wierd that the PD is doing this. since you haven't filed a civil action and since he is a PD. go ahead and ask for 5k then

He's got to get a lawyer. Based on the damage versus the time thats elapsed, I see it like this:

Lawyer: So do you have any pain? user: no Lawyer: How much damage to your car? 1000 Lawyer: Go fuck yourself

Even if a lawyer was to take this case, he's got to refer it to a doctor whos going to examine him and find nothing wrong with him

Go to court. The money might seem nice but think of this, if he had killed you in that accident, he would have left and probably never been caught, and he would have been happy to do it.

People who leave the scene of an accident are scumbags that deserve to die.

5k Is ridiculously small, even without injuries considering it was probably about road rage, plus with the run at the end then this guy is just a cunt, insurance paid for your car, if you can't get a higher amount from the compromise I would suggest letting the bastard rot in prison because either way, your car is paid for, get money from missing work though, plus money for luxuries so try hard for a higher amount but if he refuses, just let him rot.

Talk to a lawyer. You don't want to screw anything up.

unless there is some wierd statutory action in his state regarding hit and runs, his action is a trespass to chattels action. He can get expectation damages, so 1k. If he isnt asking for pain and suffering damages he doesnt have to deal with a doctor or anything. He could easily settle this himself.

Yeah a large part of me just wants justice. This was a dick in a new Prius who didn't even turn his head to look at me after swerving in front of me perpendicularly in traffic. I may ask for 10,000, knowing i won't accept less than 5 and if they say no I'll go to court. I figure a financial punishment is just as much of a deterent as a judicial one

ill add, he should ask 5k anyway, because they dont know his damages, but i personally would tell him to settle for anywhere between 1-5k. also this is a small claims action so he couldnt even bring a lawyer into court, of course the lawyer coudl negotiate for him, but why do then you just end up paying like half to the lawyer anyway.
my source is i am lawyer, although i dont work in this area

Yeah, hit and run assholes are assholes.
But also, man, that sexy sacred indian shit's like, kinda fuckin uncool. I mean, a sexy nun is a little ironic, but if you'd ever gotten beat to shit as a kid for getting math problems wrong in catholic school, you could enjoy sticking it to them a little. But damn, that native whore getup, considering how their women have been basically regararded as whores for like 500 years, and the huge wave of disappearing ones, & being kidnapped by the thousands as young girls and trafficked and shit... white people dressing in their holy vestments or whatever made out to be trashy skanks, is in some pretty fucking bad taste. Oh what the fuck am I talking about, I dunno, have another ya lush, this is /b, worst of the worst, comes with the territory saddle up, put yer manpants on, harden the fuck up, omfg somebody stop me.

Like I posted above:

forum.freeadvice.com/

Your questions will be answered by lawyers

>The only moralfag here is drunk.
lol

Hi me again. actually upon a quick google search he might be talking about a civil compromise, where they pay money to you in exchange for dropping the criminal case. some states have this for misdemeanor hit and run apparently. In this case the amount could be much higher, so I WOULD get a lawyer for this.

Been hittin the peyote?

Ha just the last photo i took. My Native gf and i were talking costumes earlier. I'm hhwhite though, so still not great

Good for you contemplating the justice route. I think I would.

That give you leverage. Meet with them and let them bring up "settlement". And this is the important part...absolutely MAKE them give the first amount. They will resist. If/when they do, you have your option of just saying, "see you in court". Whatever number they were thinking about giving you will just double.

Me, I'd take him to court just because he drives a fucking Prius. Any one guilty of a hit and run is a fucking scumbag, especially one driving a Prius.

Will do, thanks buddy

This image is everything wrong with the USA. This kind of cultural appropriation is getting crazy and needs to stop!

alright dickhead. He wants to bargain out of court for his freedom. If op says no he goes to court and to jail with a 6k fine and loss of license. It doesnt matter what op is entitled to its how much this nob will pay to not have to go to prison and get butt fucked. Its out of court settlement to save his ass and reputation. Minimum ammount is the 6k he would have to pay anyway. He would probably loose his job and car/house, op ask for 100k or let him go to jail. Settle for 50k min

found the muslim

Whatever you do, make sure you actually get the money before signing anything.

If this dude hit and ran, he likely doesn't have a pot to piss in.

No, dont take civil suits. Let the justice system do its work, this faggot just wants to get out of trouble for a crime he obviously committed.

Settle for $25k out of court. If they are trying to go under the court ruling with the amount, they think they can pull a fast one on you.

I say throw the fucking book at him. Maybe he'll learn his lesson when some big nigger in prison is making him into a finger puppet.

If OP lets this asshole get away with a buyoff and he kills my kid I won't appreciate OP being a spineless lazy POS.

Fuck it OP, just go to court and say it was all a gay lovers quarrel and it was your fault, then rim the judge for wasting his time, then an hero.

Back 2 tumblr

a girl I went to high school with was hit by an old man on her bike and she got $80,000

I got hit by Matt Damon after he filmed the first Bourne movie, and he gave me a check for $150,000 and told me not to report it.

I wasn't even injured. I had a bruise for a week on my back, and that was it.

I appreciate all the info, seems like the concensus is to ask higher and negotiate down or just gonto court and see him shipped off to jail. The dude may have 2 young kids based off of a fb search, so we'd probably both be happier to see him pay then to see him in jail for a year. Thanks everybody

>hit and run driver
>2 young kids

Do you want him raising children?

His whole family is an ethnicity known for terrible driving anyway, so they're doomed to repeat the sins of the father regardless

No fuck you. Money doesn't get him off the road. If you let him off lightly, the next person he hits and kills will be on you.

Ask for 20k settle for 10k

I got rear ended by a young indian kid in a new car. 4 discs out of place, went to drs and stuff they havent settled yet