Okay Sup Forums. I got an error message on my computer yesterday saying "Windows detected a hard disk problem"...

Okay Sup Forums. I got an error message on my computer yesterday saying "Windows detected a hard disk problem". I ran a bunch of various software to diagnose the problem and my computer has failed the S.M.A.R.T. portion of the test. From what I understand, my hard drive will probably fail soon.

I'm not very computer literate, but will doing a factory reset on my laptop fix the problem? Thanks, and pic unrelated

Other urls found in this thread:

imgur.com/a/TM5le
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

no

so is my best bet to contact the manufacturer and get it fixed?

Post moar

Download crystal disk info, change values to decimal(function menu>advanced>raw value>DEC) and post smart info

forgot pic

Back up anything important and get a new hard drive. Or risk losing everything.

If you don't know what to do then take it to a repair shop and tell them whats up.

When you see the "S.M.A.R.T has failed" or some shit like that, it means that your disk is dead, i replaced mine old caviar blue because it had (has) almost 1300 bad sectors, some times windows didn't start properly :(, now i got a barracuda ;)

not sure if this is what you wanted

Is this your wife?

some random whore. you can reverse image search the pic in the OP for more. my fap folder is terribly disorganized so i'm not going to post any more because I have no clue where they are.

Yeah, but it doesn't really explain why it failed. I would think reallocated sector count would be higher because sectors are going bad, or the spin retry count is higher than 0 as the motor is starting to wear out but they all seem fine. What are the few bottom values that aren't shown?

There were no other values below the last one in my pic. I also ran a test with SpeedFan and got this

>my computer has failed the S.M.A.R.T. portion of the test. From what I understand, my hard drive will probably fail soon.
Sounds like you're describing the Trump campaign.

This pic is from SeaTools, which was the only program along with the lenovo solutions center that showed any kind of problem, but it doesn't give any info (ie numbers). It just says it failed the test.

Earlier before these tests i opened cmd and ran sfc /scannow which detected a problem. via google i ran another 2 commands (something involving the word "restore". I'm failing to remember the commands) and then when I did sfc /scannow it said there were no problems

Not to make light of your problem, but could you please keep posting pics of her?

imgur.com/a/TM5le

Thank you user

>asking for computer advice on Sup Forums

Thats odd, the drive seems fine. Only thing that I could think of is possible is the load/unload cycle count or start/stop count is too high. Load\unload cycle count should be capable of much higher, WD greens are rated at 300,000 cycles so the black should be even higher. The drive will likely continue to work fine for a while, but if you can get it replaced for free then I'd probably suggest that.

Did you try WD Data Lifeguard tools? I don't know if that will give detailed SMART problems but the drive is a Western Digital so its better to use their tools. Seagate could be reading a value, thinking its another value and throwing a flag saying it failed.

Better back up your pron, pronto!

Have you run CHKDSK?

no

I have a warranty but I won't be able to do anything for a month (not in the country right now).

This is what I get from Data Lifeguard Diagnostics tool.

Whats is say if you run CHKDSK?

Your drive is fine, my WD fails the smart test, too. Its just seagate reading the values wrong. You can run an extended test if you want, but it will most likely pass.

Thank you very much, man. I will continue to keep an eye on stuff.

The Windows message constantly re-appears when I close it, however. Do you know if it's possible to prevent that? pic is the windows message

It says it cannot lock current drive because the volume is in use by another process. I'm guessing this is all my other programs open right now. do you suggest I close everything down and run it? how long owuld that take?

This, I avoid seagate cause of the shit

I would. It depends on how much shit you have on your harddrive. If you have a lot of shit It's probably going to take 30 mins.

Here is another utility I live by. Has SMART info but its not as good as crystal disk info. The benchmark utility is amazing. Generally the benchmark on brand new drives has very little deviation. The more dips it has, the worse it will be and its an indicator of sectors beginning to go bad. If you are running a drive as your system drive it is very hard to benchmark properly because small files are constantly written to the drive.

better back your shit up

then get a new hd

Run full chkdsk. If ok, don't worry too much. If not, drive is failing and the only solution is replacement.

HDD Gore, good ole reliable WD Blue

Yes this

thanks. I actually have to go now but i will be sure to run chkdsk. thanks for all the help guys

you could try but most likely no, your hard drive is failing. could also be loose sata though and error happens when it becomes unplugged .

Or you can replace the HDD all together. It's honestly not that hard. The only annoying thing is loading up a new is and restoring all your files.