Engineers of Sup Forums, how do I fix a thermostat so it stays locked at a certain temperature and can't be altered...

Engineers of Sup Forums, how do I fix a thermostat so it stays locked at a certain temperature and can't be altered? I ask because my roommate likes turning the dorm into an icebox even when he's not here, and I have to keep turning it to the FORMERLY AGREED UPON TEMPERATURE every single time. I'm sick of it. There's got to be a wire or something I pull so it can't be tampered with.

Other urls found in this thread:

sensicomfort.com/shop/sensi/
homedepot.com/p/Honeywell-Thermostat-Guard-CG511A/202024249
retrozone.com/Catalog/thermostats.htm
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

WHITE.
PEOPLE.
FUCKING.
PROBLEMS.

/thread

tits or gtfo

Sent from my Android phone

I'm pretty sure no one on Sup Forums is smart enough to major in engineering

We're both black.

I'm a male.

But they always circlejerk about it in those 'post your major' threads. Always. It's either engineering or Comp Sci.

Put a lockbox around it

lies. bitches always complain about being cold now post your tits

Sent from my Android phone

no wire to pull. just take the faceplate off and he can't do anything.

Dude, get another thermostat, tap into the powerline begind the existing one (but leave it connected to the existing unit) and disconnect the two signal lines from the existing unit plug them into your new thermostat. Run the wires to a discreet spot and hide your new thermostat there. The existing unit will just be a dummy.

Gonna need details on what thermostat you have. I can assist you.

I'm a guy.

Seems like a reasonable approach, but I don't want to seem too confrontational. We've gone all summer without saying so much as two words to each other, and I'm sure he'd say something about that. I really wish he'd just go back to his boyfriend's room.
>he's legit gay

hm...

Get a new roommate, or put a sticky note on it saying something along the lines of "Remember to change the temperature back"

Or, if that doesn't work, you can get a guy to put it somewhere else, something like behind a wardrobe. Contact the guy you got the house from first.

I like this kind of approach. Either this or I'll simply buy a heater.

You know, a...standard thermostat in college dorms.

Too late in the semester for that. Hopefully he'll be gone before August starts.

You can break the lock on one of those with a screwdriver

It honestly depends on what thermostat that you have. If you tell me what one that you have, I can tell you if you're able to lock it out.

Sup Forums knows some shit. next OP electrocutes himself trying to follow these directions.

Wear a sweater, faggot.

If you open it, there should be 2 wires connecting to the outside of the box. What you're going to do is cut both. Then connect the ends going outside together. The box may turn off for a minute when it is first cut. This is normal, and it will come back when they are connected. From this point, you will not have to worry about the temperature being changed on you ever again.

Honeywell

I've worked in many places. There isn't exactly what you call a "standard thermostat" Different manufacturers, different controls. Is it a digital thermostat, or a simple circular one on the wall.

its a menu setting dumb-ass, change the setting

if you cut both, you're likely to short out the transformer and then he's fucked. Don't give shit advice.

Don't do this, OP. It makes chlorine gas.

I think he means that it's annoying to change it back.

Its fucking july, why would you want the heat on? Where the fuck do you live??!

Similar to the one in my original post, but not as digitized.

I paid $2.8K out of pocket for this room, and he just showed up in June. Fuck a sweater; if he's that hot, he can open a window.

Alright, I'll consider doing it tomorrow. Damage to school property, but whatevs; I paid to be here.

Oh.

I do, and he always changes it back full-blast.

sensicomfort.com/shop/sensi/

You can pre-program it and set a passcode.

Can you post a picture of the damn thing? Honeywell makes like 500 different thermostats. Don't fuck with the wires like a few user are suggesting.

Leave the wires alone, you fuck with them and the thermostat can't turn necessary things on and off.

You will need to get creative and find something that you can craft into a solid cover to place over the buttons on the circuit board. That way, pressing the buttons on the thermostat will never be able to press the buttons on the circuit board and change the temperatures.

Your roommate may just decide to tear open the thermostat to undo what you did, so if you're okay with buying a new one just superglue the buttons on circuit board. The key is preventing the buttons on the circuit board that change temp from being able to work.

Georgia. I need the heat in my room so it's easier to sweat when I workout. Also, I dislike walking into a meat-freezer every time I come in or get out of the shower.

Shit I already started taking it apart

Thankyou for not being a shitposter. He clearly doesn't know how one works, so fucking with wires is gonna fuck things up.

No. No. Shhhh. It will all be okay. Trust me, im an enjahneer.

Well thanks everyone. I'm going to consider some of these and see which would be best. For now, I'm going to go watch Star Trek.

>Wish the Borg would come and enhance the room with Borg-tech.

Stuff a tampon in that vagina of yours, maybe it'll warm you up.

Most are 24v for the control circuit, at worst it's a slight buzz feeling on the outside of your skin.

If you pull wires, it's just going to turn the A/C off. It's a switch. On and Off. That's all it does. It just actuates between those on temperature.

>███╗░░░██╗██╗░██████╗░░██████╗░███████╗██████╗░███████╗>████╗░░██║██║██╔════╝░██╔════╝░██╔════╝██╔══██╗██╔════╝>██╔██╗░██║██║██║░░███╗██║░░███╗█████╗░░██████╔╝███████╗>██║╚██╗██║██║██║░░░██║██║░░░██║██╔══╝░░██╔══██╗╚════██║>██║░╚████║██║╚██████╔╝╚██████╔╝███████╗██║░░██║███████║

So did you throw it away? Take a pic of the thermostat model.

Don't worry, in 8 months I will be a HVAC tech. And I will be able to tell you.

Meanwhile, user blows the breaker and the internet is gone. OP is dead.

Well that doesn't do him any fucking good.

Set temperature and then open the box and remove the fucking buttons.

Problem solved.

Fucking android... The poor mans iPhone.

Yup. Which is why you need to ADD a wire and jump the control buttons.

Assuming that OP can figure out how the fuck to do that from this thread. If he has a T-stat model # some of the decent digital ones can be locked out.

Open it, if it has the carbon buttons, put tape under them

Brad Pitt sucked in that movie.

But this is not nearly as amusing as making him short out thr power to the dorm or make the ac never turn off haha

get a thermostat that has a menu limit setting
/thread

At worst just the step down side of the transformer would burn out. This would take maintenance 45 minutes to diagnose and then swap out. ACs are on their own 220V circuit so shorts on the high voltage burn out fuses at the disconnect outside and/or throw the breaker to only the AC unit.

You know nothing of what you speak of.

homedepot.com/p/Honeywell-Thermostat-Guard-CG511A/202024249

Lol maybe i dont. But what about this: cut said wires. Then cut a extension chord in half and separate the wires. Plug the extension chord in and connect those wires to the wires connecting the thermostat to the outside.

google has a thermostat.

>Remove cover
>Find Model # inside
>Google "Hidden Codes" for Model # (It will be a combination of key presses, like on a vidya game controller.)
>Find Hidden Code
>Set "formerly agreed upon temperature"
>Enter "hidden code" to brick control device (cannot be used or changed after this point.)
>Profit!

retrozone.com/Catalog/thermostats.htm

press all 3 buttons on the bottom, or try other combinations of those three. it's usually some dumb button lock

There is no thermostat outside.

What you allude to is trying to introduce high voltage onto the low voltage control side post thermostat controls, in which case you will simply burn out the coil on the contactor that turns on the compressor and condenser fan. This too is diagnosed and fixed within 30-45 minutes with no harm to any major components.

Most places for little rooms like a dorm room only have a 1-2.5 ton unit, depending if it's a small space, and those typically don't have digital control boards since they cost more than those size units. Analog controls are dominant in multihousing environments due to their reliability and cheaper cost of parts and rapid troubleshooting.

stfu you stupid fucking faggot
i'm a girl btw

the AC won't turn on either as long as the thermostat isn't on the wall

I don't give a fuck if you're the Queen of England or Sheboon Obama.

You're still ignorant to the entire HVAC system mechanically and electrically. Although being female does explain a lot of the intensity of your ignorance.

faggot

>being HVAC systems technician
>not being an electrician
>not being a plumber

Why did you pick the gayest trade learn?
Why didn't you learn a real mans trade?
Fag

Disconnect the button mechanism inside. Don't fuck with the wiring. It'll look the same on the outside.