LOST Thread

Have been rewatching Lost, how did the US Army find the Island?

The Islan found them.

why would the Island want a nuclear bomb on it?

because they were sailing one day and found it. Jeez, does everything need to be explained or have an answer?

thank you damon, also thanks for writing tomorrowland and crashing Tron 3 with no survivors, I thought I wanted more Daft Punk and cool neon lights in my life, but I was wrong, thank you for showing me the path. Also, thanks for killing anything remotely interesting about the alien franchise, something Alien 3, Predator v Alien, Predator vs Alien 2, didn't even manage to accomplish. Truly, you are the most talented writer alive

this has been a recurring problem with the fanbase during the show's original run.

so many easter eggs, clues and mysteries were put into every episode that people started assuming EVERYTHING is a mystery and everything is important.

Exactly. And especially with this thing, several people are shown coming to the island by happenstance (Richard, Jacob/MIB's birth mother). It's not like the island is completely locked off, people are bound to find it accidentally.

The "mystery" element of the show became way too important to people. Upon rewatching it you realize that a lot of the mysteries and unanswered things weren't actually things that matter and didn't need any more time spent on them. In any other show people would have accepted only getting a little information on something and move on. But because the fan base was so obsessed with getting answers they expected everything to have super in depth explanations and histories. I know this because I use to be one of those people.

thankfuly, I never cared that much. I always assumed most of the big mysteries like the smoke monster or people being immortal are "just because".

As far as mysteries goes I was really only truly interested in Dharma and thankfully that was explored quite well. I do believe they actually pre-planned the whole Dharma arc properly.

If people expected some really deep and detailed explanation then.. well, I guess those people never really stopped to think that shows are written by people who graduated in film making, not quantum physics and ancient mythology.

If the island is moving all the time why was it such a big deal for Ben to use the donkey wheel?

Well obviously it wasn't moving fast enough, was it? Using the wheel and having them pop out somewhere else solved the problem

There are multiple possible explanation to this.

It was MIB that told Locke to move the island, keep it in mind. He wanted Jacob dead from the moment 815 crashed on the island, so it was all part of his plan.

maybe he knew moving the wheel would dislodge it, which created the time skips.

maybe the islands movement is too predictable on its own, and the wheel is some sort of manual override, to keep widmore out

the wheel moves the island in time, and not just space

>watch entire show in few weeks.
>realize most of the hype after the hatch is people splerging out inbetween episodes with cheap cliffhangars.

>the wheel moves the island in time, and not just space

Source? Only the survivors moved through time, not the Island

fair point, been a while since i've seen it.

>The "mystery" element of the show became way too important to people.
That's because they began to increasingly push the "mysteries" after the first season. The first season was a perfectly good show about a bunch of people who crashed on a deserted island where some weird things are happening. It had weird things from the very start, sure, but at the heart it was a character-driven story as these strangers tried to get along with each other and survive.

Then came the MYSTERY hatch! OoooooOOoooOoOoOooOooohhh!

With its MYSTERY button! Oooooh! What does the button dooo? And the weird BROTHA guy! What's he doing there? And the EVIL SMOKE MONSTER! And what's this? There are other people on the island? Whaaaaaaaaaat? And now we're gonna time travel? Whoaaaaaaaaaaa!

The sad thing is, the show never needed any of that shit to be compelling. By bringing it up, however, and constantly prodding the audience by teasing them with tidbits and clues, they wanted people to dig deeper. Then they failed to deliver because it turned out they were just making it up as they went along.

>the show never needed any of that shit to be compelling

I disagree, the mysteries and sci fi elements made it one of the most unique tv series that has yet to be matched

Thing is, the US Army finding the island was never focused on as important. If you are not autistic you would easily conclude they stumbled upon it by "chance". Obviously the "island" brought them there for one reason or another, but its not important in the slightest how they found it.

What I want to understand is the first Desmond episode where he flashes back in time and talks to Faraday's mom. Like what timeline is this. Is that an alternate universe, as those conversations did not happen originally. Same with the episode where he goes back and forth from the past and tanker. Did he change the past in that episode? Because his girlfriend remembers the christmas day freakout in 2000 or whatever, yet Desmond didn't remember up until that point.

I just wanted to know what the island and its was there for. That's it. Just some closure on the main setting and plot device of the fucking show.

He went back and changed the past in both instances. Even though Faraday stressed that "whatever happened, happened" line of thinking, he also said Desmond was special and those rules didn't apply to him. Which was how he was able to tell Desmond to find Eloise when he (Faraday) started flashing through time, because that didn't happen initially but then Desmond woke up with the memory.

Season 5 is the best and most underrated season. Sawyer as the main character was based af.

So like, when he flashed back from his interaction with Penny, did she literally warp positions? I'm assuming thats how changing the past would work. Because that would have had a significant influence, she could have been standing in another room or something in the original timeline. I guess its best not to think too hard about this, I'm just wondering if Penny lived at her same address in the original timeline or not.

Also, I wonder how eloise knew everything that was going on the first time (S3) he flashed to the past, and she steered him into going on the boat trip.

Honestly it's been so long since I saw that episode (and the series) that I'm not sure what exactly you're asking, but I figure that Desmond asking Penny to be at the phone on that night wouldn't really be changing much, at least that's how the show presented it.
I figured she knew everything from Daniel's journal

I Ab Aeterno isn't in your top 2 episodes KYS

Post yfw you realize the show was legitimately good until the end of s2 where it became "how are we going to fuck with the audience this time: the episode" every single episode.

Fucked Kate, Charloette and Juliet
Was James "Sawyer" Ford the most alpha "Lost" character?

and Ana Lucia

who the fuck was charloette lmao

>Cucked Jack 3 times

Was charlie the biggest cuck of the series? I don't think he eveen banged the chick with the kid.

Can anyone summarize the ending of the series for me? I stopped watching back in season 3, around 2008 or something.

Also, what's up with that other group of islanders? Where did they come from? What was the goal of DHARMA?

Ben killed Locke; the Smoke Monster was really a man who then took Locke's form; Smoke Monster was going to end the world but Jack stopped him and died in the process; everyone else died and met up in the afterlife.
Smoke Monster thought that people were inherently evil. His brother Jacob wanted to prove him wrong so he brought people to the island over millennia to prove that and also to guard the island and to prevent Smoke Monster from leaving (bad things happen when he leaves). Those people Jacob brought were The Others.
The Dharma Initiative's goal was to study the island. The Others killed them.

Study what? The island has powers or something, or was it just a simple research of fauna and such? Are the others are people from different centuries? How was the Smoke Monster going to end the world? Was it ever human?

Thanks for the summary by the way.

>His brother Jacob wanted to prove him wrong so he brought people to the island over millennia to prove that and also to guard the island and to prevent Smoke Monster from leaving (bad things happen when he leaves)

I can understand the disappointment now. LOST had so much potential, and they resorted to this.

It's like an anime plot.

Study the electromagnetic properties and just the weird shit in general.
Yes, Jacob has been bringing people to the Island for centuries. They are The Others.
The Smoke Monster is physically unable to leave the Island because of the Island's unique properties, which are also what keeps the world from falling apart/ending. The Smoke Monster was going to turn off what keeps the Island's powers flowing (yes, it's something that can actually be 'turned off'), and then he would physically be able to leave... this in turn, though, would end the world. Actually their exact words were "everything would cease to be" and "if the light goes out here, it goes out everywhere" and "god help us if that thing gets off the island" and "if we don't stop him, we're going to hell", so, whatever that all means. They were very vague on this front for some reason.
The Smoke Monster was human once, he was Jacob's fraternal twin. They never revealed his true name.

Ah, interesting. Does this "power" from the island has a correlation to that switch people have to press every 48 minutes?

Once again, thank you.

>dharma
>jacob

Well they kinda explained what the button was for at the end of season 2. People just chose not to accept it. Its a pocket of electromagnet energy that they needed to dishcharge ever 48 minutes. I'm not certain but I think the Island power is like a mega version of the hatch. I might be wrong.

Yes, it is. The electromagnetic anomaly the Dharma initiative were studying in that part of the island is part of the 'power' that flows all throughout the island. So, essentially what he said. In Season 5 the main characters travel through time to back when the Dharma Initiative were investigating the anomaly on the spot where the Swan station would soon be built; the main characters tried to destroy the electromagnetic pocket to prevent their plane from being brought down in the future, but instead fucked up the anomaly and caused the button to be put into use in the first place.

Accidentally. They were bombing the shit out of pacific islands and the island happened to be close by at the time.
If you can't work it out for yourself maybe watch something more your speed, like breaking bad or dexter or something.

1. Ben Linus
2. John Locke
3. Desmond Hume
4. Richard Alpert
5. Juliet Burke (Best Girl)
6. Hurley
7. Mr. Eko
8. Daniel Faraday
9. Sawyer
10. Charlie Pace
11. Clair Littleton
12. Miles Straume
13. Sayid Jarrah
14. Jack Shepard
15. Libby
16. Kate Austen
17. Michael Dawson (and Walt)
18. Jin Kwon
19. Sun Kwon
20. Frank Lapidus
21. Rose Nadler
22. Bernard Nadler
23. Boone Carlyle
24. Llana Verdansky

POWERGAP
9001.Nikki and Paulo
90001. Ana Lucia
900001. Charlotte Lewis
9000001. Shannon Rutherford

>9. Sawyer
>not 1

You fucked up.

In hindsight I can maybe give him 5th, thats the best I can do.

Jacob and his brother were playing a game of fates. Jacob could deign things real, but instead of appearing like a cartoon genie did it, the entire universe moved to make it happen. Coin flips and flat tires and crashed planes and everything with an improbable outcome would go exactly the way it needed to go, for the events that he needed to happen to happen.

His brother did not have this power, but he was exactly as immortal as his brother, as "The Monster." And with Jacob loving him, he refused to kill him, or will him away. Instead Jacob deigned that they would cohabitate the island in perpetuity. Jacob needed a replacement to her both of their torments, so the entire universe played along and pushed all the pieces into place for the events to happen as they did.

The US military found the island because if they hadn't, the events of the series would not have happened. Jacob is kind of like a writer, in the story he himself is writing, but he is doing it passively and autonomically.

His brother could not find, and thus needed to create a loophole inside all the rules Jacob had "written." And he nearly managed to do it.

Sounds like a total load of horseshit.

I agree with you, and yet that's exactly what happened.