ITT: Modern remakes/sequels of old classics that DON'T blow ass nor completely miss the point of the original

ITT: Modern remakes/sequels of old classics that DON'T blow ass nor completely miss the point of the original,

Only Mad Max and Universal Soldier 4. The rest are shit. All of them.

fuck, I wish they made more

You start

One of the extremely rare cases where the original was fucked up (albeit a guilty pleasure) and the remake is doing it right.

But OP, Mad Max: Fury Road DOES blow ass and completely miss the point of the original

I won't deny it looks good and has some very impressive stunts, but by making Max ACTUALLY crazy they totally threw away the whole "only sane man in an insane world" thing. Also Bane can't play Max at all, and the script is really bad. In general I think Miller tried to make it way "deeper" than he thought the first two films are, even though they are excellent depictions of what it means to see the world as dead. The wasteland meant something in the old films. Max's world was a decaying one. Here it is just there for "lore" and shit, might as well be a Bethesda game or something. More and more disappointed with every rewatch

I watched a version of mad max on tv or something I don't remember but the orange and blue was really toned down and it looked really good. Like all dry and dusty as opposed to radioactive like the movies and bluray.

I love how Bethesda has become a bad thing to compare stuff to. Especially on /k/.
I'll still keep playing their games though.

>but by making Max ACTUALLY crazy they totally threw away the whole "only sane man in an insane world" thing.

But wasn't that the whole point since the first movie? Hence the title? He wasn't any better off than the good guys in Road Warrior or whatever.

>Also Bane can't play Max at all,

How does one play Max correctly then?

>he wasteland meant something in the old films. Max's world was a decaying one. Here it is just there for "lore" and shit, might as well be a Bethesda game or something.

Ok this I can understand.

I really don't think Max was ever insane in the old films. He was pissed off in the first one, and apathetic and selfish in the second. Thus, to a normal person, he is "mad." But in FR he is having like hallucinations and shit (poorly done ones at that imo). So that just took me out of the film. But that might just be my personal interpretation of the older movies so I understand if people won't agree

I think playing him as a barking loony didn't do Hardy many favors. There are a few great Max-y moments, mainly him trying to take the truck and walking off at the end, etc. but overall his performance felt off. He also just always sounds like Bane, I have never really cared for him in anything except Bronson.

Well, I could just as easily have said like Warhammer or something. Any kind of pulpy so-called "world building" bullshit where they make absurd fake civilizations with no real artistic merit or what I would consider accurate predictions about the apocalypse or anything like that. I don't mind them, I do enjoy reading up about the different factions and history of these worlds but it also tends to leave me feeling hollow.

That said, I enjoy Bethesda games more than most games. Many of them have a lot of problems but if you just do your own thing and wander around they are a lot of fun

All of the Mad Max sequels are inferior to the original, but I'd say that Fury Road is the only one that feels like it straight up misses the point.

Your just mad you're gonna die soft you mediocre bitch.

>I'll still keep playing their games though.

That's because you have pretty shit taste. Everything they've developed past morrowind has been pretty garbage.

The original was nothing more than a low-budget proof of concept. Aside from the Goose it doesn't have much going for it. Road Warrior is when the series hits its stride.

>All of the Mad Max sequels are inferior to the original

Road Warrior is significantly better than the original.

Not that guy, but you have to admit it is a pretty stark and sinister take on the revenge film. Also one of the better "destruction of the family" type grindhouse movies. Its story may not be the most unique but it it has style to it, not to mention it is probably the best depiction of a man giving up everything he believes in because he finally sees the truth of the world of like the entire 70s

but its really comfy to get lost in oblivion and fallout 3

skyrim is down there and fo4 really sucks tho

I really liked 3:10 to Yuma

Or you could just play F:NV, a non-bethesda and best modern fallout.

m8 Mad Max is probably the greatest revenge film ever made. Max was meant to be a hero who would take back the highways for the people, but the cruelty of the world he was supposed to protect destroyed him and shaped him into Mad Max.

My mind was blown by how on-point this movie was with everything that Rocky is supposed to be about.

Man Fallout 4 was such a lazy piece of shit. Somebody else needs to start making huge open-world rpgs soon so that Bethesda will be forced to work to some kind of standard. At the moment it's clear that they don't really give a fuck in a lot of areas.

I have never cared much for NV because I think Vegas itself is a really shitty city, the wasteland is not that fun to explore (think about in 3 how every location had something interesting but in NV many places by the road have no loot or anything at all), the factions and tribal shit gets annoying, and the goddamn cazadors. BUT I recently started playing it again and I'm having a lot of fun. I'm not even to Vegas yet though so I may end up still finding those same issues troubling but for now it's definitely doing the trick. I really do like 3, though, and I think 4 could almost be good if they just had like more guns and got rid of stupid settlement shit, fixed the random bullshit dungeon quests, changed the dialogue and got rid of the voice actor, and actually I guess a lot of other things too. I need to get a better PC so I can mod it to be good I guess

You should do a lot of NCR quests. They give you a great feel for the state of the mojave and it's inhabitants.

Fallout 4's best part is the settlements, the entire rest of the game is trawling through the same environments killing the same enemy sets to grab some shit at the end to bring back. That and 'MUH SHAUUUUUN' killed the game so hard. And 3's environments are shit, did you block the metro system out of your memory? New Vegas is the game where each place has something going on. The whole world ties together in a way that makes it feel alive, while Bethesda's worlds are just a series of scattered pieces of junk. The settlements were the most substantial feeling part of the whole game world, and you have to build all but two of them.

I'm kind of a loner, I do as many quests as I can for each faction without pissing people off so I can still earn rewards but in the end I stick with myself. currently working on doing more companion oriented things though. That's something I have always avoided but I am trying to do Boone's stuff so we can be ultimate sniper team and shit

>I don't think MMFR is top 3 of action films ever and the best film of last year

I really want to hear what these other two films are now.

Maybe the settlements are better on PC, but on console it is a very clunky system that so far I don't think gives you much freedom and is just kind of a boring excuse for Bethesda not to have to build cool towns. I mean, it's a good idea and I like the concept. But I think they either should've gone more in the completely custom settlements direction (instead of the same pre-designed walls and shit all the time, full one letting you build everything) or scaled it down and had something where you can choose what areas of a settlement to improve and specifically how to improve them (i.e. different walls and defenses for different threats, some sort of mechanic for setting a routine watch for guards, building a real looking market, etc.) That way every settlement could be unique and influenced by you, but also have at least some anchor of what it should be. You can just change the look and feel of each place depending on what strategic use you want it for. But instead we get kind of a half assed survival game system that doesn't feel complete

:^)

The Raid 2 and Dredd

>miss the point
>made by the same director

>ESB
>Seven Samurai
>Predator
>Robocop
>Raiders of the Lost Ark
>Die Hard
>T2
More like the top 8th of action films ever.

Terminator II and Aliens is the default answer

>Seven Samurai
>action movie
Did you actually watch it?

Wow, you could have at least said something by Verhoeven to be an entry-level pleb with some taste.

The third act makes it an action film to me.

Did you know that any opinion given by people who don't know who best girl is, is automatically worthless? Bet you didn't :)

Of course I know. How could anybody not know who best Eva girl is by 2016?

Indeed, after all IT'S 2016, COME ON!
Only bigots disagree

But that would imply I think Starship Troopers is anything but laughably awful.

7 Samurai is universally regarded as a founding influence on the action genre, m8

Say that to my face not online and see what happens, bitchboi

And that goes to any faggot out there who doesn't love Starship Troopers and consider it a minor masterpiece. I mean, how the fuck can someone not like SS?

Video game playing manchild. And MM is a fedora's wet dream: epic spray paint, ebin action and one liners, edgy characters, and a flaming guitar. It's got all the elements from other fedora favorites like fight club, dressed in different clothing

Thats strange, I really loved Hardys performance in Mad Max.
I think he really nailed depicting Max as a feral animal, whose only instinct was survival. And then, how he slowy becomes more human over the course of the movie, and begins to care for other people again

Not him, but for me, the pacing was all over the place in the first movie.
Like, nothing happend for the whole movie, and the revenge story only hits off in the last 10 minutes

>max actually crazy
How is he any crazier than the previous ones?
>the wasteland actually meant something in the old films
Except it's gotten to the point where everything is mostly gone a "new order/society" has developed, so I'm not following your reasoning
>Bethesda game
Except the movie is technically competent

>nothing happened for the whole movie
watch it again you pleb, stuff's constantly happening puts more and more pressure on Max to get out, culminating in his holiday.

I fell asleep watching Road Warrior, but the first Mad Max is fucking great yo.

Don't you feel ashamed for being a pleb?

That's usually the other way around

I really wish we got more remakes and revisionists of shit movies that had great concepts/potential.

I understand why we don't, since it isn't guaranteed to make a buck, but still.

I will never get why Mad Max is so highly rated an acclaimed. Was it bad? No. But it didn't blow my socks off either.

Unfortunately there isn't much content and quests for the Legion side, so it's not really worth it to miss out on NCR quests to keep on good terms with them. You get a free pass from Caesar later on anyway.

They were planning on having more Legion villages and content in general, but lack of time and money forced them to abandon that

Crazy places like 40k are fine when we have an Everyman point of reference.

It's no difference to something set in Ancient Rome.

Except that's the complete opposite of what max is. He isn't meant to be insane discovering his more human side. He's supposed to be THE sane guy. In the sequels he was a guy trying to cut off his sane emotions but ultimately couldn't.

>but by making Max ACTUALLY crazy they totally threw away the whole "only sane man in an insane world" thing
How is he crazy? Being cautious and reserved and having some occasional PTSD flashbacks is far from being stark raving mad.

That's not a remake or a sequel.

DUDE WITNESS ME LMAO

Whenever I flip through the TCM schedule I'm constantly seeing synopsis for movies that sound interesting but ultimately are dated, poorly executed or just bad. There's an entire world of good ideas waiting to be retold. I don't see why plays and songs get redone constantly but for some reason screenplays are sacred and cannot ever be touched, unless it's a cynical remake of an action movie

Thats how you do a villain lmao!

>pic not related

I admit, Hardys interpretation of Mad Max was different from Mel Gibsons.
But then again, i never saw Road Warrior as anything more than a good action movie, so it didnt really bother me.
I can see though how it might be a problem for somebody who is heavily invested into the original movies

In my top ten horror list
I vastly adore the Maniac remake

>But that would imply I think Starship Troopers is anything but laughably awful.

fight me irl faggot

Wish I could go back in time and watch this for the first time again.

action is definitely one of it's genres