/prod/ - Music Production General

"I don't know what I'm doing" edition

Talk about music production, composition, songwriting and audio engineering.

Upload WIPs onclyp.it/

GIVE feedback and RECEIVE feedback.

>ATTENTION!
DO NOT post Soundcloud, YouTube or any other links where you are not anonymous (unless somebody asks you for it). That is considered self promotion and will usually result in a bad feedback.

(Obligatory mixing course)
The Art of Mixing by David Gibson
youtu.be/TEjOdqZFvhY

(Obligatory synthesis course + additional related videos)
Intro to Synthesis by New York School of Synthesis
youtu.be/atvtBE6t48M
YouTube channels that you should subscribe to:

Ableton tutorials
youtube.com/watch?v=AFXDvz2c2DQ

Point Blank Music School
youtube.com/channel/UCIWNozFjO8yVdJFsGKVmPgg

Pensado's Place
youtube.com/user/PensadosPlace

SeamlessR (in-depth music production and sound design tutorials, based on FL Studio)
youtube.com/user/SeamlessR

BusyWorksBeats (same as above, a lot of good new content coming)
youtube.com/user/busyworksbeats

ADSR Music Production Tutorials
youtube.com/channel/UCf5UKh_cj2_5pUomhyswWYQ

Justin Omoi
youtube.com/channel/UCMnmXvv9JHJPsrrob-gEn5A

WarBeats
youtube.com/user/nfxbeats/videos

Samori Coles (not many videos, but a few good ones on compression and EQ)
youtube.com/user/homestudiotutor/videos

Modern Mixing
youtube.com/user/ModernMixing/videos

Image Line Tutorials (for FL Studio users)
youtube.com/user/imageline/playlists

KVR Audio Forum
kvraudio.com/

Link to the /prod/ sticky if you have something constructive to contribute
docs.google.com/document/d/1fhi1lp-DpAZieQa5cpe5v9zCBS02VDa18ln80Rd_6N0/edit

r8 muh clyp
clyp.it/ojtl1jbc

Other urls found in this thread:

clyp.it/pijdlvht
mega.nz/#F!ZERXCQ6Z!eVMUU0mBf8E4qCSQXyO5JA
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Song_structure
clyp.it/ebyzhal2
seaaseaa.bandcamp.com/
youtube.com/watch?v=QaYuddLy4k8
clyp.it/kpa1can5
clyp.it/nstarly0
clyp.it/4ep5vne2
clyp.it/oc3mmhbt
clyp.it/2qw5l0om
clyp.it/oowhbntt
youtu.be/7FR8OF6-pAM?t=35
youtu.be/WHZKD5se-ZM?t=30
clyp.it/fpeh31rd
clyp.it/nsv3v0fs
clyp.it/opjjcknd
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>Always close to 0dB.
>Even there tracks sound weak.

Any tip?

...do u master?

post short example

Trying to learn production, made this in garageband

i'm planning on getting logic soon but wanted to start out on something simple so i can learn the basics and what not

what do you guys think of this?

clyp.it/pijdlvht

its not finished, i wanted to add or take away something for a hook or something because it sounds very repetitious but im not sure what to do yet

any tips, suggestions, or insults are welcome

Just when realizing them to any public.

God, that may be hard.

nice clyp man

very bouncy, fun and energetic

i like it a lot

keep going with it

Think about adding a clear structure.
It always helps, trust me.

what do you mean?

Don't get Logic if you want to produce non-recorded music would be my advice.

Here's an audio book for anyone interested

very good and could help you guys improve

mega.nz/#F!ZERXCQ6Z!eVMUU0mBf8E4qCSQXyO5JA

what program would you recommend then?

i'm on mac so fl studio isn't an option

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Song_structure

That. Getting a clear idea of what your song structure would be makes the job easier and make it all less repetitive (Also, being repetitive is not always a bad thing)

oooh i see okay

thank you

ableton

clyp.it/ebyzhal2

doesn't do a whole lot for me, seems a bit flat, the progression has potential though

Do you have any VSTs to recommend that are not pleb tier?
Everywhere I look they say 'Dude, Slneth1 and Massive, lmao.' but to me they sound just regular pop, house, radio kind of stuff.

So far I have found that I like things like SQ8L, Synth1, Nabla.

I was about to pull the trigger and learn Ableton when I switched to Bitwig Studio the last minute.
So glad I did. It werks and makes sense.

doesn't really have any rhythm, not sure if this is music desu

kinda just sounds like a noise collage to me

why wouldn't it be music?

>music needs rhythm
>noise isn't music

music typically carries some sort of energy
something that makes you want to get up and dance to it, or at least move you head to the beat

in my opinion that piece lacks it

so by my own personal definition of music, it is not

if the drums weren't timed weirdly it would be a little better

if i just hit of a bunch pots and pans together it would be considers noise

if it did it rhythmically it's would be music

the weird drum time is purposeful. I disagree that music needs to be dance-y, sure some music should be but not all,

link soundcloud

i dont use soundcloud much but all my stuff is on bandcamp
seaaseaa.bandcamp.com/

>Gorgon Sound - Find Jah Way

youtube.com/watch?v=QaYuddLy4k8

can someone explain how to make that bass sound?

not the sub, i mean the main bassline

thanks

glide or pitch envelope on basic oscillator with eq and distortion?
it sounds like simple 808 or tom played high

Why are uHe so demanding with PC requirements?

good circuit modeling

Serum can make some crazy sounds if you really learn how to use it.

Just whipped up this short little 16 bar groove. Any suggestions are welcome
clyp.it/kpa1can5

harmonies clashing everywhere
none of the sounds work with the others, it's cluttered as fuck
can't hear the drums

The harmonies and drums I can fix, but is there some sort of method for choosing sounds that "work" with each other, or do you just play it by ear?

very fruity loop if you know what i mean

I always try to imagine the soundscape of the project I'm working on, before I start putting the sounds in.

>(Also, being repetitive is not always a bad thing)

well repetition is the fucking basis of music so yeah

Clarifying your chord progression would help a bit. Right now, it sounds like Em7/D, C, CMaj7, D. And I'm filling in blanks here.

You could try Em, C, Am, Bm, which works fine with your melody.

For as long as you do one thing new. New voice, new sound, new melody or every remove one thing.

thanks that's actually pretty helpful
that actually is the chord progession, but I had the arpegiated part also play an Em triad every bar which is the main source of the clashing

Removing the constant Em triad will help you. In regards to your current progression, removing the D from the first chord would help to establish the pitch better. This example first starts with your chords, then with the D removed:
clyp.it/nstarly0

>clyp.it/4ep5vne2

I wanted to make some dub/minimal techno. Hopefully it turned out well. What do you think?

wrong you just add hi hats when the song gets boring

good beat bruv add some drums man banging

Nice! Are you using DAW/VSTs or are you also using hardware? anyways, great sound

Can i get some help?

Im trying to get sibelius 7 to work with these vstplugins that have better sounds, because sibelius default sounds like shit. Im trying to get these world instruments pack from Aria player to work but i dont really know what im doing, i loaded the aria player but i dont get any playback

Am i supposed to load certain instruments on the player or should it be loading the files already installed? Cant find shit about this online

i like it

rate my mixing, no bully pls

clyp.it/oc3mmhbt

2/10

I want to make a track with some meme vocal samples. Problem is, said samples are shit.
Its from a video who is poorly produced, microphone static and clipping in original track.
Is it possible to clean up the sound?

Thanks! Didn't use any hardware, it's all VSTs.

Cheers mate

izotope rx

weak

how is my counterpoint

clyp.it/2qw5l0om

Does anybody know of an interface or small mixer with stereo 1/4" inputs and a 3 band EQ that I can plug my guitar w/reverb pedal into and record via USB to audacity or whatever?

It's pretty good. Very nice little composition. Good work.

so composition is allowed here

is there any cool mainstream 5+ chord progression?
i'm tired of using i iv v and other 3-chord garbage

go modal m80

Do /comp/ threads still exist?

they usually get archived quickly

That's unfortunate.

h-how?
they die pretty fast
also they are full of memers

clyp.it/oowhbntt

>tfw got a cold and ears are all full of fuck

this is probably way too loud and what not, whatever.

I like the energy ( a lot), it reminds me of something from a Suda51 fame, but I feel like the frequency spectrum is super narrow, that kick especially could use some low endddd

those panned hi-hats are really annoying, but good sample choice

>real trap shit
>cannot feel the bass in my balls or the hats in my teeth

This music is designed to be broadcasted out towards everyone on public transportation through very small ear buds. Think about how u might get that effect

this comes up a lot whenever i post one of my yurobeets and in the genre there's just historically not a lot of bass on the kicks as it'd probably get in the way when doing the fast kickrolls and such.

youtu.be/7FR8OF6-pAM?t=35

youtu.be/WHZKD5se-ZM?t=30

I am looking to redo my eurobeat kick (it's a super processed/lightly saturated 909) with a bit more booty because adding it back in now with EQ doesn't sound right.

Are usb condenser mics good enough for recording vocals?

they can be but from what i've heard they're generally a shit. the AD converter plus the condenser electronics all packed in there for $50-$150? too good to be true.

i'm sure if you spend the money there are good ones out there but the ones i've heard are noisy af †bhƒam

So I should go for the above $150 price range ones?

Eh, I honestly think you should get an innaface and a normal XLR mic, but I hear the Studio Projects LSM is very good and the Rode NT-USB is as well. I'm sure there are plenty of good ones out there but you have to get into reviews and demos and see what people are saying.

the cheap ones (around 100$) are utter shite
and if you go up in price range you might as well get an interface + xlr mic, you'll save yourself a lot of headaches in the long run

fuckin sick dude

alright took off the low EQ rolloff and changed up the end of the riff to get rid of that lame arpeggio I had.

I'm just gonna put this one in the vault until my cold is gone and the ears are back to normal and remix it because I know it just ain't right.

clyp.it/fpeh31rd

Good stuff, dude.

this is dank as fuck desu i like the high energy

Does anyone know electronic renderings of the classical canon apart from Wendy's and Tomita's stuff?

clyp.it/nsv3v0fs

feedback? first rough early draft, missing a lot of elements. have some ideas of what else to do with it just thought i'd post here and see if anyone could give some advice to a /prod/ noob

do people actually listen to this kind of music? like what the fuck, why would you waste all your time learning how to produce, only to produce shit-tier ambient which is in the same class as "modern" visual art.

damn. lol. just practicing my prod skills trying to get better, man :(

Then practice by making music that is actually challenging to create. You are never going to get better if you don't challenge yourself. How long have you been producing for?

Hey /moo/ I'm new to making music

clyp.it/opjjcknd

I plan on restructuring and adding vocal samples, but here is the sound I'm going for. Any thoughts?

OP here, back from work, gonna give some feedback now.

As others said, you need to get some structure in your song.
Production wise, bring the drums way more out, as they are they're too drowned out by the rest of your mix.

You should check out Cubase, I think you'd have fun with it.

Thx man it's still super rough because I've barely done any mixing on it but I love the snare sample I found for the intro so much.

This is nice and atmospheric, I wish you'd take out the snare from 2:00 until that double time section comes in at ~3:10, I feel like it distracts a bit in that part. Otherwise I love the climax/outro, good stuff.

The production is great, nice work on the panning and creating a stereo image that feels alive.

Here the panning doesn't work out at all, can't say much in the context of the song since it's only a 2 bar loop. The kick and snare are good. Like the bass.

Nice. Actually nice.

Fucking sweet Initial D stuff right there. Mix is good but the kick definitely needs more punch in the chorus section. I'd also swap out that cowbell or at the very least pitch shift it down 5 semitones or so and put a tasteful amount of reverb on it.

The main synth doesn't work for me, it's just a standard square wave that gets tiresome to listen to. The hat sample is also too cliché. Almost sounds like a jingle bell.

Try to vary your chords some more, it sounds too repetitive. The bubble sound is way too annoying if you just keep it playing through the whole thing, just use it to accentuate things and give them more life, don't drown everything else out with it.
Also try to find a more coherent bass line, as it is right now it's just random notes. The rhythm is good, just make it a bit more melodic.

tfw you only like producing using modular synths.

rip

>who is matt lange and thousands of other people

but im guessing you just get lost doing cool shit with modules

got the chance to play with a small 84hp rack, and i sat around for 16 hours playing with it.

lmao sounds about right. i hope i dont get the money to start buying that shit, i'll run out space and money asap.

I think i'm going to start buying shit, it's going to kill me but, I'll only buy a part at a time.

at least you'll have fun while being killed.

"Production" isn't really going to help anyone in the long run. Some ppl accidentally make something cool once in awhile and then disappear forever. It's not hard to get a reel to reel or cassette 4 track. You'll learn everything about production after a few years on those. If you don't know what plugins are doing, you will waste your most creative years flipping through presets and poking at synths. Tape is such a pain in the ass that you'll make better songwriting choices before you record.

so?
aslong as they have fun who cares.

you sound like a faggot

Are you autistic?

I can't stop creating projects and I just can't finish fucking tracks

I feel like I have to do acid to get inspired or some shit because I've seriously created like 40 projects since the last thing I released and it all sounds so fucking dull or just 'not my sound' and it's freaking me out

you have to force yourself to finish even if they are shit for your standards you will eventually get better

seriously someone help me I feel like I need to be validated in some way but that just makes me super anxious and I will never release anything because 'it's not good enough'

It's okay user, just stop producing and keep working that 9-5 because you aren't talented and never will be if you have to take a drug to make mediocre music.

Yeah I think the problem is I think I'm better than I actually am... I really need to start getting humble

Yeah you're right, back to hustling