Name a female led movie that (1) isn't a raunchy comedy (2) isn't an exaggerated action heroine (3) isn't centered on...

Name a female led movie that (1) isn't a raunchy comedy (2) isn't an exaggerated action heroine (3) isn't centered on romance.

Million Dollar Baby.

probably no more then 10 000 movies

Thelma and Louise.

Contact

Cleo from 5 to 7

Gravity

/thread

Sicario, she was just a coward annoying bitch

This movie was understated and devastating. Can't wait to see Mungiu's new shit after Cannes.

L'Avventura

Changeling

...Should we stop OP? Are you sufficiently embarrassed?

Still Alice
The Hours

Goddamn I hated that shit. That character has all the flaws I fucking hate.

DONT TALK ABOUT GREAT MOVIES LIKE THAT

Silence of the Lambs?

She tiptoed and fumbled her way through the entire thing. She was able to go with her gut and disregard her second guessing for the most part but her hesitation and fear made it seem like more of an "unwilling hero" role while still knowing she had to keep going. Seriously one of my favorite female lead roles ever

No keep going.

I made this as a stealth suggestion thread. I'm racking up a good list of things to watch.

The thread certainly matched his stereotyped benchmarks, but he didn't list the most important ones.

What are some movies that feature these elements, but are also directed and/or written by women? Correct me if I'm wrong, but a large majority of the thread is all male led, in terms of creative control in an authorship sense.

I'll throw one into the mix, hated it the first time I saw it, grew to appreciate it after the next watch.

Ellen Ripley is still the GOAT stronk female character

> You will never have your junk exposed to Jessica Chastain and then be waterboarded

Feels bad man

Sophie's choice.

My favourite third-world movie

>plant a seed in the ground
>water it
>care for it
>it becomes a tree
>"wow, the ground sure is a great farmer"

She was fine, but the black sidekick was way too obnoxious

Fuckin A. Why does Reitman get so little work? Up in the Air is the perfect movie to play to a girl you don't wanna marry.

Erin brokavich

I saw it, it was the same depressing, tryhard "social commentary" that all people east of Berlin made the last 50 years, that I had to grow up with

I see an abused woman and I just roll my eyes, here we go again. No fucking originality

I don't consider the gender of the creator to be important.

A good movie is a good movie.

What are some examples of other movies that are similar?

This movie popped into my head. Recommended.

Rosemarys Baby

I do, though. Female writers and directors could provide different approaches, different perspectives that have been absent for so long.

If it's so important to have lead female actresses in new blockbusters, why isn't it as important as female directors leading the charge?

terminator 1 and 2

Why is it so hard to write characters as cool as ripley? Shes a woman but i don't hate her at all and she looks like she'd be fun to hang out with. Like a bro or something.

This any good? I'm romanian but romania movies are usually garbage and romaian actors are atrocious.

she was actually written as a dude originally, but then Weaver was cast and the rest is history.

basically write a man, and then cast a woman in the role.

Sicario

that was the exact moment when i realized that ALIENS is reddit-tier

What was that one where Eva Green plays a lesbian rapist pedophile

it follows

In order for this argument to have weight you need to provide an example of a female created film that is incredibly unique in its' perspective.

As it goes, the greatest female protagonists thus far have been created by men. Not out of conspiracy to keep women out of the industry, but just doing their jobs as storytellers, and having the empathy to provide that perspective.

What about Vagabond by Agnes Varda?

Room
The Help
Girl, Interrupted
Carrie
Black Swan
Winter's Bone
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo
Mermaids
Under the Skin
Beasts of the Southern Wild
Hard Candy
Fish Tank

shit

Winter's Bone
Jackie Brown

s'pretty good. Sort of a greek tragedy if you look at it that way

Silence of the Lambs

Haven't seen it, sounds good.

Here
Never seen another movie like it, at least in its approach and portrayal.

Also, I do agree with you, men have created fantastic female leads over the years, and they'll keep doing so, pic certainly related.

I've just read some great novels written by women, and I'm intrigued and entranced by their perspectives when the premise and characters are executed well. I'd honestly love to see more movies that open that kind of perspectives for audiences.

Because when they do, faggots will claim that she's a mary sue.

Not a film but Top of the Lake.

Amazon is actually using this cover for the movie

>It sure looks like Oscar bait to me. Bravo!

Brokedown Palace

I implant seed in multiple women, that's my superpower you fat cunt

>Baumbach

Sup Forums is right every time

Election
Girlhood
Frances Ha
The Babadook
Room
Juno
Erin Brockovich
Steel Magnolias
Thelma & Louise
Girl, Interrupted
Amelie
Persona
The Exorcist
Black Swan
Winter's Bone
Beasts of the Southern Wild
Hard Candy
Todo sobre mi madre
The Color Purple
Bend It Like Beckham
Gravity
Heathers
Ex Machina
The Witches of Eastwick
The Silence of the Lambs
Misery
Monster
La vie en rose
Dancer in the Dark
The Others
Fargo
True Grit

I got tired, google the rest by yourself or watch more movies and not only capeshit trash.

Changeling
Million Dollar Baby
Big Eyes
Wild
Labyrinth
Young Adult
Joy
Requiem for a Dream
Fargo
Room
Still Alice
Erin Brokovich
Sicario
Freeway
Winter's Bone
Frida

Also, almost every single movie starring Meryl Streep

When are you gonna lose your virginity, OP?

Fuck off tumblr feminist.

Thanks for the suggestions lads.

I still seem to be the only one who brought up Blue Jasmine. I feel like I'm the only one who watched it.

what

Does Alien count as "exaggerated action?"

In a true contest between female lead roles with no exclusions or filters, Ripley wins hands down, in every way. God damn space vixen watches her ships crew get slowly picked off by a genocidal alien parasite hitchhiker, only to survive using basic firearms and hand to hand skills, enter hypersleep as the only survivor, rescued nearly 60 years later, only to be redeployed AGAIN (willingly, even though she refused at first) to a distant space rock home to a terraforming colony in need, ends up completely fucked again thanks to the hidden motives of the backstabbing jew on board, manages to survive while protecting a child, all while racing against the clock before the thermonuclear power plant detonates, turns back to rescue that kid after the majority of the other friendlies die one by one, AGAIN, but still manages to ensure the destruction of the alien queen egg hive even though the queen managed to follow them on board the second dropship, defeats the queen using a cargo loader motherfucking MECH SUIT, reenters hypersleep yet again, only to be auto ejected after a fire starts while sleeping, awakens on a fucking LABOR CAMP PRISON PLANET inhabited by frustrated horny rapists and murderers serving life sentences, whom she successfully recruits and organizes to fight off the new alien threat brought to the planet on her pod unknowingly, all while incubating a queen alien egg in her abdomen, watching all her new prison friends get slaughtered one by one while trapping and killing the alien, eventually being rescued by a crew employed by the same jew company that fucked her from the start, which only wants to capture and weaponize the alien queen currently erupting from her chest, motivating her to throw herself in to a furnace to end it all for good.

... Until she is fucking RESURRECTED 200 years later for more, and ends up killing failed mutant clones of herself and her halfbreed alien child

You're next.

The Iranian Revolution was NOT a mistake.

now that's a great film - not the easiest one to watch, but it's a part of the exerience

>Does Alien count as "exaggerated action?"

No, no matter how you try to spin it.

Evita