Computer engineers and Comp Sci majors of Sup Forums, I ask you

Computer engineers and Comp Sci majors of Sup Forums, I ask you,
>other than money, what got you interested in working with/studying computers?
>what drives you?
I'm asking for a...a friend.

I like computers

I do too. Always have, but my parents and other relatives didn't want me to "spend too much time" on it, so I never got great with programming and such. At least I can teach myself now.

It's not about the money man. If you don't fucking enjoy it then don't do it. Do what you like unless it's women studies or some dumb shit

I'm doing Poli Sci and Asian Studies. :(

I've always had a strong interest in both, but was never smart enough for Comp Sci. So, I'm doing it on my own now, since I'm in too far to change majors.

>Asian studies
Welp
You don't really teach yourself "Comp Sci", you teach yourself how to code and stuff. Plus saying that you aren't smart enough is a self fulfilling prophecy

To my defense, I started Uni in a foreign country, and there weren't many options to choose from. But, I had to go to school, because it was already pretty late in my 'early-adulthood' and other reasons....

Well, at the end of the day you should do what you want man
Dunno what the point of this thread is, to get advice with learning Comp Sci stuff?

Just to read other perspectives from people who chose right the first time. And well...I guess I wanted someone to talk to. For now though, I'm going to the bathroom. Thanks anyway.

I've always loved computer games, but never really gave a shit about programming.

Most of my relatives and friends are/were completely computer illiterate
>most, meaning 99%

got into high school, fairly advanced program. teacher selected 3 students to basically be Network engineers
>we played WoW and games, occasionally fixed a teacher or two's machine per day, aced easy work

got fairly bored with it, couldn't stand being around faggot neckbeards 100% of my time anymore. Dropped out of my college classes and went into full-time work and tried doing things the hard way.

>attempted returning 2 years ago
resulted in fairly apathetic situation once more, and couldn't stand working on computers, dealing with anyone, programming. I understand basic programming languages but don't care to make it a profession
>quit job to become musician
something I actually love, I have made a fairly decent living at it and I wouldn't change the world for it.
>am actually on the verge of signing with a label

tl;dr
>loved computers all my life
>understand enough to be a tier 1 net engineer (have associates)
>quit because neckbeards are faggots, money isn't what I love
>went into music instead

figure I can have a bigger impact on the world making a fortune through music and other ventures, and then showing love to the nerd community in retrospective and keep perspective that way

That's noble....

Mainly because I've been around computers and tinkering with them almost my entire life. Figured, hell, it was a good career to go into. Pretty good pay and I knew I would enjoy it, so why not.

As for what drives me, the pursuit of knowledge, I suppose. I really like knowing things, even if it's irrelevant tidbits of information, and with how much I enjoy working with computers I obviously want to learn pretty much anything/everything I possibly can about them.

This also seems logical. Computers truly are becoming more and more integrated with our daily lives, and one can't afford to be computer-illiterate anymore.

>695637468
Same reason as always pinky,
to take over the world

Pretty much. And people are always going on about how "Well, robots are gonna replace us all eventually anyway." To which my response is, "Well, who's going to build /those/ robots?" Computer Engineers.

You'll need a 5" floppy for that though.

That's part of why I'm teaching myself coding and such now. I may not have gotten a proper CS degree (I would if I got rich), but I want to work with computers, even if I'm destined to be replaced by them.

I'll keep it short cause in typing on mobile, but I feel... I know this is going to sound stupid, but I feel one with technology, like have you ever driven a car, a really nice car with a good engine note and good handling? Have you taken said car around a tight turn, then hit the accelerator and feel that engine beat to the rhythm of your heart? As if your heart was in the car? That deep connection? I feel that with computers too, when I put my hands on a keyboard, I feel a connection that other people wouldn't understand. Like I was just meant to work with and understand computers. It's a passion to me. If you study pretty much anything for the sake of money, kiss you life goodbye. But when you do it out of a loving passion. That's when you know it's meant for you.

PS, I did an I.T internship once and I felt like it was killing me. The boardom of I.T help desk is painful. And in still searching for my place. I majored in informational security/assurance and auditing

Always loved tech, already knew how to program when senior year came around and math had always been a little fun for me. It was a natural choice really

Why be replaced by computers when you can become the computer
>inb4 synthetic body n shit the future is tomorrow

I actually thought about getting cybernetic implants while using the bathroom earlier. If that were possible, I could have a future-home completely integrated with the implant, then I'd run my robotic-house as if it were a Borg Unimatrix, with me as the Queen (king).

Dude that is possible, probobly not what you are thinking but there is this one dude who implanted RFID chips into his hands and now he can unlock the doors of his house and light lamps or whatever with the swipe of his hand. There is another dude with a camera for an eyeball and a dude with an antenna built into his brain that translate color, even color the human eye can't see, to him. And it's only improving. I say 10-20 years and well be a stone toss away from full synthetic bodies. Check out 2054.org I think (or google 2054 initiative) and check that shit out.

CS masters holder

> other than money, what got you interested in working with/studying computers?
I started messing with computers when I was 7 years old in the late 80's. Computers were a bit harder to use then and I liked the challenge of getting it to do what I wanted. It was kind of like solving puzzles, I guess.

> What drives you?
Lots of AI research these days

Brilliant! Now I have another reason not to kill myself just yet.

In any case, I'm going to go watch some Trek now. Thanks for the info and to those who responded to the thread.