Where to start with Tarkovsky?

I've watched Andrei Rublev and it was extremely difficult. Loved the camerawork and the composition but I wouldn't say I've understood what was going on. What should I do to appreciate his art more and where should I start?

nostalgie is a good place to "start"

excellent film

preferred watch orders:

>chronological

alternatively:

>stalker, solaris, ivans childhood, mirror, nostalghia, andrei rublev, the sacrifice

time for full autism

personal pref ranking:

>mirror, solaris, stalker, nostalghia, andrei rublev, ivans childhood, the sacrifice

trying to be "objective":

mirror, nostalghia, stalker, andrei rublev, ivans childhood, solaris, the sacrifice

take what you will and gl

Rublev was probably the worst possible choice. I'd also say Solaris is a bad choice too. It's his most famous but it's a difficult watch (I actually prefer Soderbergh's adaptation of the source material, I feel it's more successful as a film). Stalker might be the place to start, it'll give you a solid overview of his style and themes. Ivan's Childhood is fairly easy to get through too. After that just pick and choose whatever you find most appealing.

Thank you. Will I understand Andrei Rublev more if i come back to it later?

yes. all his work kinda works together, the first movie is always the hardest; but the only place you could've started worse than andrei rublev is probably mirror.

dont binge watch his works either, i think that hes definitely one where doing that will cost you big time and run you into the ground, or at least make you appreciate them a bit less individually.

you'll be aight. def stalker or ivans childhood next.

Stalker is probably the easiest to watch and follow and in my opinion has some of his best visuals.

>I actually prefer Soderbergh's adaptation of the source material, I feel it's more successful as a film
I agree with this wholeheartedly.

>russian fag reporting
best way in this qeue
Stalker, Andrey Rublev, Solaris, Mirror, Nostalgie

Thanks. I'm not a fan of binge-watching. I usually take one week pauses between films when I'm going through a director's filmography. I'm watching Ivan next.

>Soderbergh
As someone who read the book, I say fuck you wholeheartedly... your opinion is bad and you should feel bad

true, he just do remake tarkovski's film without any good things

He surely knew how to cast attractive women to his films.

Tarko gets the grand ideas right for sure, I won't deny that. But the centrality of the relationship within the film feels almost entirely forced in T's adaptation. Soderbergh's focus on the relationship and the meaning of said relationship within that space is far better constructed in my opinion.

Andrei Rublev is only for orthodox Slavs

t. Orthodox Slav who loves Andrei Rublev

>tfw no projection/existential crisis-core suicidal natalya bondarchuk gf

just fucking push me out of an airlock in my sleep already (;. ;)

my vote goes for the mirror lady

The thing is, the novel was never intended to be a lovestory with effective flashbacks or solely about the relationship of the residents of the spacestation with their "visitors" but more about the encounter of the human minds with the "unknowable" and astrobiology and the nature of the planet... Stanislaw Lems quote is hilarious I just read it for the first time:

"...to my best knowledge, the book was not dedicated to erotic problems of people in outer space... As Solaris' author I shall allow myself to repeat that I only wanted to create a vision of a human encounter with something that certainly exists, in a mighty manner perhaps, but cannot be reduced to human concepts, ideas or images. This is why the book was entitled "Solaris" and not "Love in Outer Space"

Anyways I strongly feel that Tarkovskys version is closer to this and I appreciate that. Although this is not /lit/ so I guess that does not matter at all in this discussion..

But I also think that Soderbergh's adaptation is more expressive regarding in the pain that is inflicted on the protagonist...

>tfw no actually strong independant but reflective and quintessential soviet-era terekhova (also multi-casted to promote a subtle oedipus complex) gf

just burn the barn down with me in it tbqh familia

the revenant

Inarritu sucks

Inarritu is all style and not much substance

i cant even imagine the diary entries tark would be writing about mr alejandro inarritu if he was alive today

i think tark would've watched the revenant and then tried to assassinate him tbqh

inarritu is like a middlebrow tarkovsky. it's enjoyable every now and then but kinda shallow

try nostalghia or ivan's childhood.

I guess if you watched The Revenant, you would appreciate Tarkovsky.

I think the joke was that Inarritu directly copied several Tarkovsky scene's in the Revenant

Tarkovsky is an overrated hack who only entry level *film buffs' pretend to like when they're getting into ciniema.

Oh i've seen that comparison video. Do you thin Inarritu is trying to be the next Tarkovsky?

I was waiting for this post.

What directors do you like?

Nolan, Snyder etc. The list goes on.

Quads confirm. Looks like Nolan and Snyder are true kinographic cinemà

he also copied the bird-coming-out-of-the-gunwound from the holy mountain