Want to get first element in an array

>want to get first element in an array
>array[0]
>programmingfags will defend this

please give me an actual reason why 0-based indexing is better
>inb4 'muh backwards compatibility'

It's a memory offset:
arr[5] == arr + 5
assuming arr is a pointer to the start of the array.
also zero is a perfectly valid number, why throw it away?

if it's so low level that can just be handled by the interpreter / compiler, when you're actually writing the code array[1] makes the most sense.

It's debated often, but lower level languages will always choose zero-based. If you make mistakes indexing arrays you've got bigger problems buddy ;)

let's say I want a user to enter a number which corresponds to this list :
January = 1, February = 2, etc.
instead of just getting the number the user inputs and use that as the offset in an array, I need to add 1 to it? it's a basic thing but it clearly causes issues.

0=nul
1=Jan
2=Feb

are you really this stupid

so instead of having an array like:
['January', 'February', 'March']
you think all lists should have an empty element at the start just to make them match up? I think you're the stupid one here, pal.

>lists are arrays
noob, gtfo

same thing in python sempai

>python is now a low level language
I am having fun, can you tell?

This isn't about low level languages, I agree that they can keep their 0 indexing. I want to know why a language like python should use it.

>why should we use a standard that everyone else uses, and which every user knows

>why should we use an unnecessarily complicated concept only needed in low level languages
do you think we should have to write c-like for loops in every language too? should we just go back to ASM?

System.out.println("hey guyz");

>adding +1 to a number is complicated
I did not realize I was arguing with a preschooler, my bad.

go back to COBOL, old man.

I don't have a good reason. I'm just use to it so it feels right now

in lua it's array[1]

When you will be good enough to understand pointer and how memory works, you'll be glad indexes start at 0

further proof that lua is literally the best language

scroll up sempai, I don't give a shit about low level languages, the compiler / interpreter can take care of that shit for me.

print "lol I think I\'m a programmer because I know python syntax even if I can\'t packet parse\n"
raw_input()

Who the fuck cares? Just deal with it. Once you grow up and learn multiple languages (which is necessary in industry) you'll just prefer it be the same way in every language... which usually you'll prefer zero-based