Yo Sup Forums, I started piano 6months ago, I need some opinions about an impro I made

yo Sup Forums, I started piano 6months ago, I need some opinions about an impro I made.

youtube.com/watch?v=dK4z5S3k_jk&feature=youtu.be

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=hDwALaOt644
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

good enough for me OP, keep it up

Sounds pretty good.

Nothing worth listening.
shit harmony choice
shit melody choice
poor melody dev
poor rythm choice
cliché
poorly played
lack of direction

It's useless to start improvising at 6 months in. Wait till you've worked on some true repertoire or actually saw more than IV-V-I and fucking VI modulations.

If is not Ferneyhough-esque is shit

and then there's this asshole

just keep doing what you want OP. Life's too short. You don't have to be a master at something to enjoy it. Furthermore just play piano for chicks to get them wet, bitches are dumb anyway.

Reminds me of the Heavy Rain theme

youtube.com/watch?v=hDwALaOt644

OP here, Thanks Sup Forums !
I'll keep it up !

Practice makes perfect. If he wants to improvise, why not? When I learned piano I had teachers that were very strict and wouldn't let anybody improvise until they had the "perfect" stroke technique.

Is that the right word? Who cares.

Dubs ftw

Not the guy you replied to but I know a guy who did piano lessons for several years. His technique was superb, but he could only play from partitures. No improvisation skills whatsoever.

Lately he's been practising a lot on that, and he managed to write some songs of his own. Not that they are the best, but the joy he had from that negates that. Music is about the soul and enjoying what you do. Even if it's just a hobo with a one stringed guitar, if he's getting something back from it it's all worth the effort, fuck the haters

How much do you know about music theory? It sounded like you didn't adhere to the tact. I know you can "stretch" notes, but there's always the risk to destroy the tact if you're not really experienced.

Only gripe I have with that.

I agree honestly. Technique is still very important but like I said, my teachers were very strict regarding that. It dampened my passion for music.

In my free time I would improvise like I saw fit and it was so liberating honestly. But because of that I'm bad at playing from sheets.

Well, I know nothing about music theory. I'll look for it.

Thanks for your comment !

It's just mathematics honestly. You should at least learn the basics. It will help you.

(op) Top kek!

Okay, I'm the "asshole" you called.

I have been doing music for about 20 years now, and I stake my life on it everyday. Like OP said, he has no knowledge of music theory, therefore my points are still relevant ; the improvisation in itself is dull, lacks direction.

I learned from many styles early on, which made me "taste" the flavours they offered. Thing is, this improvisation is just another "generic teenage with no knowledge or thought" improvisation, and sadly, I know many musicians that, if they had to upload an improvisation online, they would have uploaded something much more thought-out.

Don't get me wrong OP, keep doing what you do. Don't expect "assholes" like I will say good thing about a improvisation that sound like any other 6 months-in improvisation, although rather tacky.

Now, if you want some more "opinion" which doesn't sound so harsh, I think you have to taste more different genre, in music in general, and try to understand what's going on. Good music is backed by a lot of knowledge and experiments.

For those denying the importance of "learning" in music don't know what they're talking about. It's fine to improvise at any state, as long as you keep it for yourself. Every time you show your work, you boost your ego in that tiny bubble of "sensations" you had when improvising, and usually it only brings ego to yourself, and has no learning effect.

I know people that, after 2-3 years of "playing" around, they still improvise like they used to, which shows they can't learn at all from what they do. Music is introspective, and you're always changing ; music should too.

For technique : as long as you play, experiment, and always try to go further, you will never have problems. Technique is either drilled or learnt from playing. I, myself, stopped playing scales and arpeggios/other czerny/hannon exercises because they felt un-musical, useless. The way you practice will change a lot the way you see music.

post something youve made

con't
I'm against the common way music school "teach" music because most of the time it's just a mold. When doing my studies, I made them endure my piece choice, and they couldn't do anything against it : the money I paid for the school was worth more than my "categories" I had to choose from. I played contemporary music, Grainger, Liszt, Schoenberg, Messiaen and many more on my first academic years of study because I wanted to learn more about what was going on under-the-hood. Everyday I would listen to the vastest repertoire, from video game music to gregorian chants, Opera, metal, rock, jazz, blues, tribal, japanese trad, etc.... Now, all these things are "ideas" behind me that I can use to voice my work, and think more about what I do.

Improvisation doesn't have to be equal to wandering, it should transcend it. Wandering is looking for the exit when improvising is knowing how to move in the dark.

was about to say that I wish I could show you some stuff, but I'm not at home currently, and I doubt Sup Forums would let me upload 100Mbytes audio files

what do you make then? piano, jazz, rock?